Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: Bus nostalgia  (Read 221998 times)

alunonhisown

Re: Bus nostalgia
« Reply #195 on: 22 March 2010, 22:25:30 »

Here's another tester for the old man.
East Glam Motor's Nelson. Owned by a guy called Glyn Rees from Ystrad Mynach I believe.
And the pics of them old Evans Buses, I used to travel to school with them in my Afon Taf days. Always had a coach, can never remember them using a bus on our school run.
Thanks. :y :y

There you go DiEast Glamorgan Motors bus.................. best I could find :y
[/img]
Look at the link before, I had already posted that pic, sorry mate, you were to slow on that one, Brownie points for me off the old man.

Good one Di :y
You see the reason for being slow is that I am collecting/saving all these pics I find for you guys. When this thread dies I will e-mail them to you and Byron and anyone else if interested. :y

This thread will NEVER die my friend, too many BA's here to let that happen.

:-? :question :question
BA's Bus Anoraks my friend.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 22 March 2010, 22:30:23 »

The Evans/Parfitts photos:
Top is a former Cumberland Motor Services Bristol RELL6G with ECW body.

Next down is a former West Yorkshire Road Car Co RE/ECW - again Gardner powered.

Third is a former Rhymney Valley (shorter) RESL6G/ECW combination of Parfitts in Bargoed.

Last, a former Bristol Omnibus Co/Badgerline RELL6L/ECW - this time with a Leyland 0.680 motor.

C'mon Splotty, I need my 'fix' of WW Tiger Cubs mate!
 :'( :'( :'(

Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
  • Veccy with a Miggy engine..............
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 22 March 2010, 22:35:43 »

Hope it doesn't, its very interesting, but the offer still stands for you BAs. If you want copies I will e-mail them to you or anyone else that wants them. Some are high quality and would make a good picture or a wallpaper for your PC :y
As you can imagine I have a fair few now 8-) 8-)
Thank you for reading this. I’ve officially wasted your time!

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 22 March 2010, 23:13:22 »

Q: What was different about the post1963 Tiger Cubs?
Q: What's the later body style from 1964 onwards?
Q: Which buses carried the blue/white livery?
Clues below.............................................. :y

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 23 March 2010, 11:31:34 »

Right 'en you lot - listen up ......

From 1963 onwards, Leyland Motors uprated the Tiger Cub chassis by fitting the roundly 6.5 litre 0.401 'Power Plus' engine. Gone was the sturdy 0.350 unit, and Western Welsh were not surprisingly early recipients of this revamped model. By 1968, when the final Tiger Cub arrived, the Company had taken a further 115 examples, variously bodied, into stock. A new fleet-numbering series was implemented in the 13xx series for them.

However, the 0.401 engine, whilst certainly a reasonable performer, was not without it's problems in this application. We soon had head gasket failures and piston seizures galore, and this scribe could overhaul one with his eyes shut - literally!
The unit was though, a wonderfully-logical piece of engineering for a humble apprentice to cut his teeth on.

Now to the photos:

The top one is of 1307 laying-over at Aberdare Low Level Station Yard, that town's (then) terminus that was shared with the Red & White concern.
The body was by Marshall of Cambridge, of rather spartan appearance, and one of nine delivered in 1963 carrying fleet numbers 1300-1308. This order was the last of the curved-rear BET-style bodies for WW. It's blinded-up for one of the trunk routes down along the Neath Valley to that town - operation of it being shared between Aberdare and Neath depots.
1307 would've therefore carried a red diamond.

1964 saw the arrival of 25 Tiger Cubs with Willowbrook bodies, of the ultimate BET Federation style. The observant will notice that white-coloured window rubbers were in fashion at this time.
Fleet numbers were 1309-1333.
1316 is seen at Cardiff Central Bus Station about to set off for distant Varteg Hill, way up in the Eastern Valleys of Monmouthshire.
Being based at Cwmbran, a grey diamond would have been carried.

The third shot sees 1366, the first WW bus that I ever (legally?) drove on the open road, and one of the 1966 order for 14 Tiger Cubs with fleet numbers 1361-1374.
Bodied by Park Royal to the same style, these featured an (unsuccessful) heating/ventilation system, witnessed by the lack of sliding windows.
Seen here arriving at Newport town centre from Varteg Hill, 1366 was another grey diamond Cwmbran bus.

The fourth view is of 1407 swinging into Bridgend depot off a colliery service.
It's one of the final batch of 20 Tiger Cubs that arrived in 1968 with Marshall bodies, and fleet numbers 1395-1414.
Being a Bridgend-allocated bus, 1407 carried a blue diamond.

The last photo sees 1346 (DBO 346C) heading west through Ely in Cardiff on the 301 limited-stop service to Carmarthen.
It's one of the 27-bus 1965 intake bodied by Park Royal with fleet numbers 1334-1360. Around 10 were finished to DP spec and accordingly wore the fabulous Peacock Blue/Royal Ivory livery then in vogue.
Being a Cardiff (Penarth Road) bus, 1346 had an orange diamond.

The 0.401-powered Tiger Cubs weren't entirely successful on these lengthy services either, and a policy-change was soon to see some rather special replacements arrive for these duties. They were to leave a lasting impression on a youthful Sethsmate!

All will be revealed here in due course .........
 ;)

« Last Edit: 23 March 2010, 16:07:02 by Reliance505 »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

alunonhisown

« Reply #200 on: 23 March 2010, 13:26:32 »

Where are these Diamonds, I never seen them, or cannot see them?
I wanna know where Byron is getting his info from, cannot possibly all be in the head, can it? Well, maybe it can, he is after all from Maesteg, and we all know what Maesteg boys are good for, don't we Mrs Sethsmate?
I think we should leave Tiger Cubs for now and go forward in time to say middle 60's, are you listening Splott old mate?
Some Bristols of that era would be nice.
What was the bus that 60 60 used for Towing, I know a bloody Tiger Cub >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I am also sure 60 60 had a Scammell Lorry for towing as well, and I think that has been donated to a museum in Barry.
Gareth Handy getting generous in his old age.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 23 March 2010, 13:40:54 »

I wanna know where Byron is getting his info from, cannot possibly all be in the head, can it? Well, maybe it can, he is after all from Maesteg, and we all know what Maesteg boys are good for, don't we Mrs Sethsmate?
I think we should leave Tiger Cubs for now and go forward in time to say middle 60's, are you listening Splott old mate?
What was the bus that 60 60 used for Towing, I know a bloody Tiger Cub >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I am also sure 60 60 had a Scammell Lorry for towing as well, and I think that has been donated to a museum in Barry.

They're coloured transfers that are affixed above the fleet numbers.
The shot of Tiger Cub 1316 at Cardiff clearly shows it.

Click and read: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1268424850/165#165:

Simples :y   

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 23 March 2010, 13:44:45 »

There you go Di
A Fine Pair Of Bristols.......................if didn't say it someone else would ::) ::)

[/img]

alunonhisown

« Reply #203 on: 23 March 2010, 13:49:35 »

Ahhhh, the biggest pair of Bristols I ever did see :o :o :o :o
I think that is Cardiff Central.
Where is the old man today, gone fishing no doubt.
Swear he just had major surgery or summat.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 23 March 2010, 13:52:45 »

You'd be surprised at what's in this fair head missus!
Remember, I spent the best part of 20 happy years working for WW.
;)

The towing-bus which came from 60-60 was actually a Leyland Leopard, this time with Willowbrook 10-metre bodies, and one of 30 delivered in 1971.
I'll do the homework on these very soon, but'll have a nice word with our man on the Wirral to stick up the Tiger Cub replacements, so as to keep some continuity here. Be patient folks!
 :y

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 23 March 2010, 14:06:14 »

You'd be surprised at what's in this fair head missus!
Remember, I spent the best part of 20 happy years working for WW.
;)

The towing-bus which came from 60-60 was actually a Leyland Leopard, this time with Willowbrook 10-metre bodies, and one of 30 delivered in 1971.
I'll do the homework on these very soon, but'll have a nice word with our man on the Wirral to stick up the Tiger Cub replacements, so as to keep some continuity here. Be patient folks!
 :y

There you go............................right again  :y

[/img]

Former Western Welsh short PSU4 Leyland Leopard 1518 has had its Willowbrook bodywork severely modified into a recovery tender. It is seen in Cardiff at the Centenary Rally in service with local operator Sixty Sixty.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 23 March 2010, 14:34:51 »

There you go Di
A Fine Pair Of Bristols.......................if didn't say it someone else would ::) ::)

[/img]

During the late '60's these were Red & White's flagship coaches, and passed to National Welsh with the merging of Red & White, Western Welsh, and Jones of Aberbeeg.
The first batch arrived in 1966, with Gardner 6HLX engines and manual transmissions.

The subjects of this photo were from two batches of 11 delivered in each of 1968/9, being registered OAX 1-11F and SAX 1-11G respectively.
These were a vast improvement on the 1966 batch, and featured 9.8 litre Leyland 0.600 engines horizontally-mounted on the rear overhang, and remotely-mounted semi-automatic transmission. Drive was via a fluid flywheel and cardan shafts to a drop-centre rear axle.
They were extremely lively performers, and capable of cruising at well over 70mph. (Confirmed by young Sethsmate who achieved a tad over 90mph early one sunny Sunday morning on the M4 in SAX 8G!)

The duo pictured here had been down-graded to 'dual-purpose' roles, evidenced by the half-red half-white livery. 

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 23 March 2010, 16:27:12 »

Tiger cub Successor Supplied by Sethsmate.........[/img]

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 23 March 2010, 17:10:02 »

Tiger cub Successor Supplied by Sethsmate.........[/img]

1967/8 saw the arrival of 15 of these fine machines, which were a vast improvement generally over the Tiger Cubs.
As previously mentioned, they left a lasting impression on the youthful Sethsmate!

Carrying fleet numbers 201-215, and registered KKG 201-5E, and KKG 206-15F, here we see 204 on it's arrival at Cardiff from distant Carmarthen, in 'as delivered' condition, featuring the fabulous Peacock Blue/Royal Ivory 'DP' livery.

They were 30' AEC Reliances with the newly-introduced 8.2 litre AH505 engine. It was the 154 BHP version set at 2400rpm max. AEC's robust 5-speed synchromesh 'box and 4.7:1 diff ratio was specified. A superb full-air braking system also featured.
The body was by Marshalls of Cambridge to the customary BET Federation design, and featured 41 coach-type seats and a rear luggage locker. They were equipped for one-man operation from new.

Popular with the staff, they were equally at home whether utilized on stop-start urban work, or longer-distance express duties. They soon became regular performers on the limited-stop 301 service, which linked the Capital with West Wales on an hourly frequency 7 days a week, and rapidly accumulated colossal mileages. The free-revving and lively '505' ensured no time-keeping problems in service, and this scribe can testify that 20 minutes could easily be clipped-off the last journey from Cardiff to Neath of an evening!
The Reliance would indeed run rings around a Tiger Cub.

Under National Bus Company re-organisation in the early '70s, the entire batch of 15 were transferred to South Wales Transport's Neath depot, where they continued as the mainstays on the 'Cardiff road' for some years.

As my former Chief Engineer once said: "A 505-engined Reliance was about as good as you got!"
I totally agree! :y

« Last Edit: 23 March 2010, 18:06:44 by Reliance505 »

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 23 March 2010, 18:33:59 »

Comments please from the BA guru (honours)

[/img]

Ex Western Welsh Leyland Tiger Cub/Marshall no 345 & former Neath & Cardiff no 128, an AEC Reliance/Duple coach. Seen at Haverfordwest in 1975.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 101   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 17 queries.