Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanic School Blog  (Read 95980 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic School Blog
« Reply #150 on: 11 October 2012, 08:09:32 »

One question.....how often have you used a torque wrench on engine re-assembly and on what bolts/nuts.......?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 11 October 2012, 19:21:31 »

One question.....how often have you used a torque wrench on engine re-assembly and on what bolts/nuts.......?

Well prior to the course I only used my own torque wrench on the wheel nuts. however since the course i've used it on everything when putting the engine back..

e.g. on this assessment which was just top end we had torques for:

inlet manifold
exhaust manifold
coil pack retaining bolts
head bolts (inc. head correct tightening sequence)
cam shafts shells (inc. tightening sequence)
valve cover

cant think of any more we used.

the head bolts were torqued in stages... however cos they're stretch bolts and they've been undone/re-tightened many times we just did the first two stages and missed out the final ''angle tightening''.

:y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 11 October 2012, 19:22:39 »

ooooh forgot we also had a torque for the timing belt tensioner bolt  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 11 October 2012, 19:40:02 »

Small block GM engines use the same cam timing method (they are chain based) e.g. the 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4.

I have a few medium 6 cylinder diesels to re-build shortly (11 plus ltres) having just finished a Land Rover 2.5 diesel head gasket and a BSD444 diesel engine job. Once you understand the basics then they are all actualy surprisingly similar.

If you ever want to see a real engine then pop up to Nottingham!

You should also now have enough understanding to start thinking what certain engine management sensors do....e.g. crank sensor and cam sensor.

cheers mark, very helpful as ever! maybe we could combine it with you supervising my cambelt change too if thats possible... ill pay you of course. just if i go to TB near me, when i get it wrong and he has to step in he may put his back out again and i dont want that on my conscience :-X ;D  :y

i tell you what i'm really interested in also.... after finding out the RPM facts and that at a constant 3k RPM the piston would be going up and down 100 times a second..... is there any way i wonder of being able to view that?  :-\ i imagine if it was possible it would simply be a blur?

while i'm thinking out loud also....... with valve overlapping......say for example where both valves are open at the end of the exhaust stroke tyhrough to start of induction...... if two valves are open at the same time why then doesnt the piston come in contact with the valves like say when a cambelt tensioner goes and the engine lunches on itself ???

cheers guys  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 11 October 2012, 19:45:27 »

:y :y this is a brilliant  thread webby brings back alot of memories :y :y :y :y

thanks for the feedback mate.... nice to hear its of interest and i aint just boring folk  ;D ;D ;D :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

albitz

« Reply #156 on: 11 October 2012, 19:48:34 »

The valves may be open to some extent at the same time,but they wont be open at TDC. ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 11 October 2012, 19:51:29 »

The valves may be open to some extent at the same time,but they wont be open at TDC. ;)

Cheers Albs  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 11 October 2012, 20:11:12 »

cheers mark, very helpful as ever! maybe we could combine it with you supervising my cambelt change too if thats possible... ill pay you of course. just if i go to TB near me, when i get it wrong and he has to step in he may put his back out again and i dont want that on my conscience :-X ;D  :y

Naah.

I reckon he'll just look up from his cup of tea and say "It's not my effing car". ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 11 October 2012, 20:14:53 »

Naah.

I reckon he'll just look up from his cup of tea and say "It's not my effing car". ;)

;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 11 October 2012, 20:21:42 »

Naah.

I can't believe he would ever utter those words :-X ::)

Or... "Keep him busy, I just broke something!" ::) ;D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 11 October 2012, 21:20:32 »

Naah.

Well, its not, is it ::)
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 11 October 2012, 22:20:35 »

Not on the power stroke but they will between exhaust and intake. Gas moving down the exhaust scavenges the cylinder much more effectively if the intake valve is already opening, and this also helps to accelerate the intake charge before the piston starts to move down the cylinder.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 11 October 2012, 22:22:54 »

Not on the power stroke but they will between exhaust and intake. Gas moving down the exhaust scavenges the cylinder much more effectively if the intake valve is already opening, and this also helps to accelerate the intake charge before the piston starts to move down the cylinder.

Thanks Kev so how come they dont hit the piston between the E and I strokes?  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 11 October 2012, 22:28:47 »

Thanks Kev so how come they dont hit the piston between the E and I strokes?  :y

Well, they're not fully open. Exhaust valve is closing and intake valve is opening at this time, and the clearance between valves and piston is carefully worked out. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.