Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanic School Blog  (Read 96209 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic School Blog
« Reply #270 on: 13 December 2012, 20:15:50 »

« Last Edit: 13 December 2012, 20:18:37 by Andy B »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 13 December 2012, 20:28:21 »

Talkative tonight .......   :)  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 13 December 2012, 21:59:51 »

Talkative tonight .......   :)  :)

No  ::)

No longer a delete option  ;) ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 13 December 2012, 22:23:58 »

Just as well, I like a bit of quiet. 8)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 13 December 2012, 22:34:39 »

Just as well, I like a bit of quiet. 8)

:-X :-X  ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: 18 December 2012, 23:09:25 »

Evening fellas,

Had an awesome session today. A lot of stuff really clicked and it was nice cos its been a sort of ''catch up'' week where we've gone over any practical stuff we wanted to re-cover.

So this week I've done a DOHC timing belt (a big 1.8 mitsubooooshi if i'm right in thinking). difficult without the right tools... namely a cam locking tool  >:( but i got there with a bit of grit, determination and a bit of ingenuity ;)
did a crank sensor removal, test and replace. did this on a tigra and like the omega only god knows what i'd do if i actually had to remove the wire from the engine bay for a new one (we just disconnected it for testing purposes). its like wedged between the block and the crap coming off the bulkhead and below. that would be a nightmare!!!

most fun of all and something i was actually amazed by (little things) was testing ignition timing.....
this is a pic of the set up on the car.....strobe light gun connected to a second battery, the clamp hooked on to no.1 HT lead and just about to start the car ready to go.....

this is a photo of the strobe gun in action on the crank pulley... sorry its a bit dodgy but it was real hard getting a good photo...

now i shall explain how it works.

in that second photo you should be able to see by the pulley a little bit of plastic whith numbers 15, 10,  & 0

you check the spec on Autodata and this avensis' ignition timing was (or should be) 10o at idle... so basically the spark occurs 10o before TDC compression.
You set the gun's dial at 10o, turn the car on and point the gun at the crank pulley.
the timing notch/mark should then show 0. if it doesnt your ignition timing is off and should be investigated.

i'm taking the miggy in to school tomorrow for a good winter health check so i really wanna get the gun on it  :y :y :y :y :y :y

anyway, sadly i have no other updates but we have theory tomorrow so ill update what i learn then.

choi for now  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 18 December 2012, 23:11:26 »

i should have mentioned that the gun fires a strobe light every time the spark occurs... and it knows this as its hooked up to no.1 HT lead.
soz thought i should mention that  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 18 December 2012, 23:12:51 »

and sorry again  ::)

but actually that 2nd pic is actually really good... you can actually see the crank mark at '0' when i flashed the light. didnt notice that before
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 18 December 2012, 23:25:35 »

Struggling to think of a car from the past 10-15 years that you cna set the timing on, or one these days that you can connect a timing light to!

Testing a crank sensor, did you have an oscilloscope then or was it a (another not so useful) resistance test?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 18 December 2012, 23:27:35 »

Struggling to think of a car from the past 10-15 years that you cna set the timing on, or one these days that you can connect a timing light to!

Testing a crank sensor, did you have an oscilloscope then or was it a (another not so useful) resistance test?

yeah sorry mark, should've mentioned that if you find the timing to be out there isnt anything you can do  unless it was an oild school distributor other than replace a component... coilpack? ;D

and yeah it was resistance checks  :-[
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 18 December 2012, 23:36:03 »

yeah sorry mark, should've mentioned that if you find the timing to be out there isnt anything you can do  unless it was an oild school distributor other than replace a component... coilpack? ;D

Sadly, as per the resistance tests on the coil, they dont tell you to much on the crank sensor (not the most common failure mode).

As for change a component.....coil pack will make no difference, pretty much nothing that will (Ecu controls timing based on knock and crank position plus calculated enegine load)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 18 December 2012, 23:40:18 »

Sadly, as per the resistance tests on the coil, they dont tell you to much on the crank sensor (not the most common failure mode).

As for change a component.....coil pack will make no difference, pretty much nothing that will (Ecu controls timing based on knock and crank position plus calculated enegine load)

thats interesting cos when i asked ''and why would you need to perform this test'' the answer was a bit vague lol

so i take it that in the real world if the timing was off (or you even got that far to check) it'd be a case of checking out any fault codes and if none then a replacement ECU? and furthermore i'm thinking off the top of my head that that shouldnt really happen anyway (or if it does it will be once in a blue moon)?

Thats ashame re the resistance tests. what sort of test should really be carried out?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 18 December 2012, 23:48:29 »

Fault code analysis is a good start, live data might tell you something (less likely) but viewing the signal on a scope is the ultimate  :y

As for replacement ecu....if its running at all then its very unlikely to be the ecu

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 18 December 2012, 23:54:24 »

Fault code analysis is a good start, live data might tell you something (less likely) but viewing the signal on a scope is the ultimate  :y

As for replacement ecu....if its running at all then its very unlikely to be the ecu

looking in to scopes is our christmas homework  :y :y :y :y

but im wondering if theyve actually got one that we can look at data on  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 19 December 2012, 19:49:16 »

Keep one in the boot along with dwell meter along with carb=that way drive to drags change carb do timing undo headers and viola instant v8 roar  :y no use whatsoever on any car from late 90's though.
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.