Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanic School Blog  (Read 95993 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic School Blog
« Reply #360 on: 06 February 2013, 16:40:46 »

To go in bear's new toolchest....£1.40 with free delivery!!!
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 06 February 2013, 16:57:31 »

What are they made of at that price ?? butter ??

TBH I wouldn't trust that cheap an "easy out" ... I don't trust expensive ones much ... so I'd expect those to break PDQ .. :(

Sorry ... use them by all means .. but be very, very, wary ... IMHO

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: 06 February 2013, 17:03:06 »

What are they made of at that price ?? butter ??

TBH I wouldn't trust that cheap an "easy out" ... I don't trust expensive ones much ... so I'd expect those to break PDQ .. :(

Sorry ... use them by all means .. but be very, very, wary ... IMHO

Sorry Entwood, what I should have mentioned was I'm actually going to test them (well one of them). I'm going to bring home the stud block I made and turn in studs of varying torques and see what it can do  8)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 06 February 2013, 17:22:01 »

ive found the draper ones that ive got very caperble after the abuse ive given them
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 06 February 2013, 17:25:49 »

No probs .. but remember this ...  the "stud block" you made is nice and new and probably still shiny, the only thing "missing" is the heads you cut off ... probably nice and square.

In real life .. the stud will have sheared as the torque imposed by the spanner was greater than the strength of the stud ... question is .. why ??   answer is probably .. rust .. the stud shank has rusted to the hole to such a degree that its resistance to movement was greater than the torque applied by the spanner .. so it broke.

In shearing the portion left behind will not be "flat" so getting the "pilot hole" central and parallel to the sides is not easy.

Add these to previous comments regarding the stud "spreading" as you force the "easy out" in ... and you'll guess why I don't like/trust the things at all.

I'm not saying don't use them .... I'm saying be very very careful in real life situations ... you can easily make things go from bad (sheared stud) to very bad ( sheared stud with easy out stuck in) to appallingly bad (sheared stud with sheared easy out stuck in).... fixing the latter is very difficult as trying to drill the easy out is near impossible on most occasions !!
« Last Edit: 06 February 2013, 17:27:26 by Entwood »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 06 February 2013, 17:32:20 »

No probs .. but remember this ...  the "stud block" you made is nice and new and probably still shiny, the only thing "missing" is the heads you cut off ... probably nice and square.

In real life .. the stud will have sheared as the torque imposed by the spanner was greater than the strength of the stud ... question is .. why ??   answer is probably .. rust .. the stud shank has rusted to the hole to such a degree that its resistance to movement was greater than the torque applied by the spanner .. so it broke.

In shearing the portion left behind will not be "flat" so getting the "pilot hole" central and parallel to the sides is not easy.

Add these to previous comments regarding the stud "spreading" as you force the "easy out" in ... and you'll guess why I don't like/trust the things at all.

I'm not saying don't use them .... I'm saying be very very careful in real life situations ... you can easily make things go from bad (sheared stud) to very bad ( sheared stud with easy out stuck in) to appallingly bad (sheared stud with sheared easy out stuck in).... fixing the latter is very difficult as trying to drill the easy out is near impossible on most occasions !!

very good points mate.
 :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 09 February 2013, 18:43:38 »

Also, Sod's law states that the likelihood of a bolt head shearing off is in direct proportion to difficulty of access. :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 09 February 2013, 21:27:27 »

Also, Sod's law states that the likelihood of a bolt head shearing off is in direct proportion to difficulty of access. :y

Exactly!!!  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 15 February 2013, 12:36:04 »

Afternoon guys.

Again, sadly not much to discuss at the moment. on half term and just revising for my exams next week. exams split in to two.... engine, cooling, lube....followed by ignition, fuel, intake and exhaust.

there is however one thing that came up in class discussion which i'd like to discuss... and that's interference engines vs safe engines.

obviously its not great news for us if our timing belt (or tensioners) go cos we're going to have a piston/valve war. but are there any engines out there that are safe?

my teacher mentioned an old fiat punto that was safe but by the way he was talking its not something thats done anymore..... why not? wud make so much sense  :-\

:y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 15 February 2013, 12:37:16 »

ps anyone got any photos of when pistons met valves? would be cool (for me anyway) to view the carnage  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 15 February 2013, 12:40:30 »

ps anyone got any photos of when pistons met valves? would be cool (for me anyway) to view the carnage  :y

I have a 2.5 td transporter T4 here which has a broken belt,when I've pulled the head I'll try and remember to post some pictures :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 15 February 2013, 12:42:27 »

I have a 2.5 td transporter T4 here which has a broken belt,when I've pulled the head I'll try and remember to post some pictures :y

nice one mate thanks  :y :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 15 February 2013, 13:00:23 »

Many of the older 8V engines were non interference (excluding many of the Fords, Volvos and one or two Vx). This was easy enough as valves were larger and cam lift was not so large plus lower compression ratios and the tendancy to creat combustion chambers (squish area) in the cylinder head gives clearance.

Throw in higher compresion ratios, more advanced combustion chamber design, multi valves, larger valve opening and you get much less clearance.

All simples

Plenty of pics been posted over the years of bent valves.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 15 February 2013, 13:01:12 »

And of the pistons  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 15 February 2013, 13:05:29 »

As mark says, not as common now.

I remember one of my colleagues recovering an 8v Cavalier off the motorway with a broken cambelt. Bloke had no cover so it was a Police call out and cost him £105 (13 years ago) :o

Customer said it was toast and asked what his options were so my mate said "I'll pay the recovery cost if you sign the car over to me"

Stuck a 2nd hand belt on it and ran it up... Perfect :y Quick compression test to confirm all was OK and it was a new belt and water pump before it was passed on to his mum, whose car had just been written off :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.