Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanic School Blog  (Read 96175 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic School Blog
« Reply #375 on: 15 February 2013, 14:11:49 »

ps anyone got any photos of when pistons met valves? would be cool (for me anyway) to view the carnage  :y

I have a 2.5 td transporter T4 here which has a broken belt,when I've pulled the head I'll try and remember to post some pictures :y

And of the pistons  :y

Last one I did pistons were ok but head was scrap,cam broken in three places and pushed up through the bearings :-X,dunno what this ones like yet,can't wait to find out :P
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: 15 February 2013, 17:03:42 »

so in short it's basically cos of the more advanced engines taking up more room  :y
still would be nice to have a safe engine though...no worries with that  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Abiton

« Reply #377 on: 15 February 2013, 17:38:00 »

so in short it's basically cos of the more advanced engines taking up more room  :y

It is.
My Golf's tensioner started sqeaking a bit at 180-something K, no history available, may well have been the original for all I know.
"Shall I change it?" thought I, "Nah, I'll wait 'til the stem seals get a bit worse and do it then."  :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 15 February 2013, 22:08:07 »

It is.
My Golf's tensioner started sqeaking a bit at 180-something K, no history available, may well have been the original for all I know.
"Shall I change it?" thought I, "Nah, I'll wait 'til the stem seals get a bit worse and do it then."  :)

exactly... wait for it to go...then do it!  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

albitz

« Reply #379 on: 15 February 2013, 22:27:58 »

Edit - wrong thread.  :-[  ;D
« Last Edit: 15 February 2013, 22:30:12 by Albitz »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 15 February 2013, 23:07:34 »

by the way there was another thing i wanted to discuss

i know this should be easy but i just couldnt do it  :-[ ....... and thats sharpening drill bits. i took a couple of drill bits that the teacher said needed sharpening and the angle should be 59o. sounds easy. nope! it just seemed that the 59o angle was too flat and ended up worse than before.

if im being retarded tell me and ill just keep practising  :-[

anyone else have this issue?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

albitz

« Reply #381 on: 15 February 2013, 23:11:50 »

I always break them so sharpening is something Ive never learned to do. ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: 15 February 2013, 23:16:32 »

.... and ill just keep practising  :-[  ...... 

You can either sharpen a drill ..... or you can't. I know some fitters that have socks older than you  ;) & still can't sharpen one.

I can!  ;) ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 15 February 2013, 23:18:05 »

You can either sharpen a drill ..... or you can't. I know some fitters that have socks older than you  ;) & still can't sharpen one.

I can!  ;) ;)

;D cheers andy.... thank f... its not just me  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 15 February 2013, 23:24:06 »

I can!  ;) ;)

You need to have a go at sharpening a drill of 3/4" and bigger so you can see what you're doing. I've just been Googling but can't find what I want. A morse taper type drill has a centre in the end that helps you keep each side of the drill equal. You can sharpen a drill that only cuts on one side, and the gauge/guide helps.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 15 February 2013, 23:28:54 »

I can!  ;) ;)

You need to have a go at sharpening a drill of 3/4" and bigger so you can see what you're doing. I've just been Googling but can't find what I want. A morse taper type drill has a centre in the end that helps you keep each side of the drill equal. You can sharpen a drill that only cuts on one side, and the gauge/guide helps.

:y

to give us something to do me and a couple of others are going to be making a gauge for our key rings cos we're so far ahead. its basically just an angled piece of metal (at 59o). this what you mean? or the drill bit itself?  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: 15 February 2013, 23:37:22 »

to give us something to do me and a couple of others are going to be making a gauge for our key rings cos we're so far ahead. its basically just an angled piece of metal (at 59o). this what you mean? or the drill bit itself?  :y

That's what I found on the net. The gauge I meant has a point that you sit the end of the drill on so that you can scribe each side of the drill on to check each side is the same ....... far too difficult to describe, far easier to show you in the metal.  :y :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: 15 February 2013, 23:39:05 »

That's what I found on the net. The gauge I meant has a point that you sit the end of the drill on so that you can scribe each side of the drill on to check each side is the same ....... far too difficult to describe, far easier to show you in the metal.  :y :y

got ya mate  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 15 February 2013, 23:42:20 »

There was a guide in a cupboard at work. I asked a few of the lads what it was, nobody knew - even the old barstewards like myself. I'll try to remember to photo it in use. (not back in work till Tuesday though  ;) - assuming Warren B hasn't closed it by then  ???)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 15 February 2013, 23:44:30 »

There was a guide in a cupboard at work. I asked a few of the lads what it was, nobody knew - even the old barstewards like myself. I'll try to remember to photo it in use. (not back in work till Tuesday though  ;) - assuming Warren B hasn't closed it by then  ???)

that would be really useful mate, thanks  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.