Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanic School Blog  (Read 96048 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic School Blog
« Reply #555 on: 03 May 2013, 11:25:29 »

Hi guys,

I've got a big up date to do tonight on steering, toe alignment, camber alignment and castor angle. All interesting stuff :)

One thing i would like to know is this.....

following someones thread in the gen. help and my subsequent learning of the ABS system i believe it goes like this:

ABS sensor gives signals to the ABS ECU (a computer solely for the use of the ABS system). if at any point the ABS ECU detects that one or more wheels is giong to lock up it sends a signal to the hydraulic modulator. this modulator then reduces hydraulic pressure going to that/those wheels thus reducing braking force thus stopping/limiting lock up.

have i got that right?

if so, i have 2 questions.....

1.) where on the mig is the hydraulic modulator and ABS ECU located?
2.) how come the ABS has its own ECU and is not part of the main ECU?

:)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

albitz

« Reply #556 on: 03 May 2013, 11:47:32 »

1. ABS pump/module ecu is on pass side inner wing underneath PAS reservoir.
2. ECU is an electronic control unit. Each particular system on the car has its own control unit (engine/transmission/braking/airbags etc.) although some of them are linked to each other and can communicate with one another to some degree.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 03 May 2013, 11:58:40 »

That makes perfect sense. thanks albus ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: 03 May 2013, 13:25:55 »

The ABS ecu monitors each wheel using a sensor (most offen a reluctance type sensor which senses the rotation of a toothed ring).

It looks at the speed difference between wheels and if one is seen to suddenly slow under braking the it release the hydraulic brake pressure to that corner and then re-applies it (many times a second).

These days they also offer additional functions which include traction control (on detecting wheel spin a signal is sent to the engine ECU to back off power) and stability programs (be it very simple as per facelift Omegas or more complex when a yaw sensor is installed).

All pretty straight forward.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 04 May 2013, 20:02:04 »

Hi guys,

Am planning to do the update I promised later tonight re the suspension stuff :)

For now though I thought i'd update on something I have found really amusing and those little quirky things the wife does  ::) ;D

Anyway, as I've mentioned before i'm a huge fan of Eric the Car Guy (ETCG) on youtube and i'm always watching his vids. Anyway I was watching this particular one where a fan sends in Eric some new headlights for his Subaru.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX026M1DdrE

they arrive and are the correct size and everything but the connectors are different so he has to make some modifications by cutting the old connectors off and attaching them to the new connectors by soldering them in.

Anyways, wanting to learn how to do this and thinking this would be a great skill to have for the electric side of mechanics I said to the mrs ''have you ever soldered''....she was like ''yeah, of course I have...my kit is in the basement''.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

top tray full of pins... presumably used for back probing  :-\

the soldering gun and stand...

and this really awesome old skool multimeter...still works perfectly  :y

Well life is full of surprises... and ive booked a training session in for tomorrow  ::) ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: 04 May 2013, 20:12:36 »

I thought you were going to say she misheard you for 'Soldiered', and you were going to find all her army kit! Good find, why hasn't mine got skills like that. ??? Oh, she cooks and gardens, that'll do, :y :y :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: 04 May 2013, 20:18:40 »

I thought you were going to say she misheard you for 'Soldiered', and you were going to find all her army kit! Good find, why hasn't mine got skills like that. ??? Oh, she cooks and gardens, that'll do, :y :y :y

;D ;D ;D

she fixed the table saw I broke a few weeks back also  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: 05 May 2013, 10:07:05 »

No wonder you're doing the mech course, you need to have some skills they haven't! 8) :y :y :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 05 May 2013, 12:29:15 »

No wonder you're doing the mech course, you need to have some skills they haven't! 8) :y :y :y

Exactly mate  ;D :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #564 on: 05 May 2013, 19:18:51 »

Ever thought of getting one up on her and learning needlecraft  ::) ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: 06 May 2013, 17:36:04 »

Ever thought of getting one up on her and learning needlecraft  ::) ;D

lol cant mate... she sews and knits too  :-[ :-[ ::) ;D

ps, back on topic slightly, I haven't updated on suspension stuff as my notes are round my mums and I forgot them  ::) ill have rthem tomorrow so should update then :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: 08 May 2013, 18:10:57 »

Afternoon guys, how are ya? :):)

Well I haven't had my lesson in soldering yet!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( not the wife's fault.... I been ill most of this week... never suffer from migraines and get two in two days  :'( :'( :'( :'( didn't really take anything in during practical other than we did chassis checks.. I think  :-\ lol

Anyway I was fine today for theory and got back on the learning curve  8)

So.... steering....I've touched on it before re the rack and pinion stuff but I want to talk about the stuff I learned in theory.

Ackerman principle: ''if the track rod is the same length as the distance between pivot points the inner wheel, when turning, will not turn at a bigger angle. if however the track rod is shorter than the pivot point distance (assuming the track rod is placed behind the wheels) then the inner wheel, when turning will turn at a greater angle which is desired when turning a corner''.

I still don't get how? can someone explain how it will do this?

steering boxes......I know that the omega utilises the box but Im not sure I get how these work.

this is a pic from the bears colouring book.....

now I can see of course the steering shaft turning and the effect of that on the cam roller.... but then I just cant see how it transfers that twisting motion to the lateral steering  :-\

also is the track rod in place of the rack so in essence it is what moves the wheels left/right?

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: 08 May 2013, 18:17:46 »

now I can see of course the steering shaft turning and the effect of that on the cam roller.... but then I just cant see how it transfers that twisting motion to the lateral steering  :-\

The twisting motion moves the steering arm (the steering idler arm is opposite it)

also is the track rod in place of the rack so in essence it is what moves the wheels left/right?

A rack system still has track rods, they're just fastened to arms that are connected to either end of the rack.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: 08 May 2013, 18:22:38 »

Thanks Andy. So can I just clear something up cos everyone uses different names for stuff  ;D.........

is what ive called the ''drag link'' the steering idler?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: 08 May 2013, 18:36:36 »

Thanks Andy. So can I just clear something up cos everyone uses different names for stuff  ;D.........

is what ive called the ''drag link'' the steering idler?

I'm not that well up on the terms myself  :-\ but I think the drag link is the bar that connects the arm from the steering box to the idler arm  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.