Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving Automatic Migs  (Read 13872 times)

albitz

Re: Driving Automatic Migs
« Reply #135 on: 04 November 2009, 21:59:06 »

I believe BMW used to use Getrag manual boxes yeard ago,as did Vauxhall occasionally,could that be the link your thinking off Chris.
Btw,the manual getrag box was a great box and pretty strong imo.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 04 November 2009, 22:00:20 »

From a flexibility perspective then yes they are, torque converters are truely clever devices.

I really should scan a few pics of the internals of one in and describe how they work some time.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 04 November 2009, 22:01:16 »

I believe BMW used to use Getrag manual boxes yeard ago,as did Vauxhall occasionally,could that be the link your thinking off Chris.
Btw,the manual getrag box was a great box and pretty strong imo.

Fairly strong boxes the getrags, shifts are a bit notchy though and repair is challenging!

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 04 November 2009, 22:02:39 »

Theres a pic / info for the 4L30E here: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_Automatic_4L30E.pdf
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 04 November 2009, 22:04:34 »

Theres a pic / info for the 4L30E here: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_Automatic_4L30E.pdf

More info on here ....somewhere!

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 04 November 2009, 22:15:36 »

More info on here ....somewhere!
I think I've seen it a few months back IIRC.

Just so happened that I had the PDF above open!

What was the model of the 5 Speed auto that was fitted to some of the late (diesel I think?) models?
Dont think they were available in the uk though? :-/
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 04 November 2009, 23:21:12 »

if DSG could be made as reliable as a manual, i would have one over a 430L family box all rather day long. If it does not impress there "Must" be something wrong. Clonkey? Nothing wrong with it? You want a broke one in that case, as all others must be, clearly.

Lol, I didn't understand a word of that......been on the beer?
Ar25/35. Are they not related to the BMW 430L auto boxs(or what ever they are called)?  Anyway, would have a DSG if reliable over an Omega box any day. To imply DSG are "Clonkey" then obviously there is something wrong with that partitlar example. Driven 3 DSG'S  now, all very smooth. Def no clonks.

To answer your question, no, no beer.....

..... sits back and waits to be blindly told the opposite by another member, and gets ready to congratulate him as a winner, and to go forward to the first heat of his chosen sport (master mind?) for the special olympicis. :-) night all.

Of course they are smooth when working, this is due to what they do with the engine. They vary the engine revs (up for a down change) and back off the torque (for an upchange).

There achilles heal is that they learn the driver (more important with a clutch based setup) so you can get rough changing when two opposing driving styles use the car after each other whilst the new driving style is learnt.

The 4L30E is NOT a BMW box, its a GM unit and the basic design goes back to the 70's (as a 3 speed) which then had an additonal section bolted in (hence the seperate small sump at the front) and a box of electronics added to bring it upto date. This does use a basic retard function to smooth gear changes.

More modern auto boxes are as smooth (if not smoother) than a DSG as they use the same engine control (which is the bit that makes the change smooth) during a shift.

Note, the VAG DSG is a Getrag unit.....not a VAG design :y

I've always wondered that! I know know!   :y

Anyway - Autos are still better  ;D ;)

That's why when the gearbox go into limp, it stops in 3rd & won't go up to 4th
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.