Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega seat swap - questions  (Read 1968 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Omega seat swap - questions
« on: 29 April 2024, 20:50:00 »

While the galaxy does everything we need it to, I do have one significant gripe with it - the front seats. The driver's seat has some wear which makes it less comfortable than the passenger seat, but even that side isn't particularly comfortable.

I was thinking of swapping in some omega seats, specifically the grey cdx mouse fur seats as we're in my estate. They would match from the perspective of being manual with electric height adjustment, exceptionally comfortable (IMO) and the grey cloth wouldn't look too odd.in the car. Now, some questions...

- Does anyone know the seat back/squab width? I've done a search but cannot see a post on the subject.

- does anyone have any seats for sale? The ones on eBay I've seen are roughly what I would expect to pay for seats with a whole omega attached.  ;D

As always, any help gratefully received.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Omega seat swap - questions
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2024, 22:17:42 »

Are you sure you want to start messing around with airbag wiring, Jim? If you put the light on in the galaxy it could be a bugger to put right.
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:28:32 »

I'm only at the very start of looking at this Ste, but my initial thoughts are to leave the seatbelt as untouched Ford at both ends, which takes care of pretensioners. The only other SRS components afaik are the seat occupancy sensors. Something to be worked out but I'd hope to be able to take across the Ford items.

As I said, still early stage thinking   :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:07:55 »

I'm only at the very start of looking at this Ste, but my initial thoughts are to leave the seatbelt as untouched Ford at both ends, which takes care of pretensioners. The only other SRS components afaik are the seat occupancy sensors. Something to be worked out but I'd hope to be able to take across the Ford items.

Buy a cushion  ;D
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 15:35:53 »

Buy a cushion  ;D

^This!^   :y  K.I.S.S.   :-*   ;D

I suspect what seems like a fairly easy project at first glance could turn into a nightmare.  :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 19:36:55 »

Retrofitting the Ford airbag gubbins to an Omega seat and bolting it in would technically be doable.

But...

At best, in an accident, the airbags/seat pretensioners might not work. At worst they might work incorrectly and potentially kill the person in the seat.

So the question you should be asking isn't could it be done?, but rather is it really worth doing?

The answer is no.

A much better solution, for several reasons, would be to find a.set of nice seats from a similar vintage Mundeo TittyX. You might need to swap the rails over, but it should retain full functionality without any drama.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 21:24:35 »

That's the issue really, the car has Tity seats which feel the same (to me) as my best mates 2008 mundaneo Tity X. His are top of the range I'm sure as that car has literally every option box ticked (former demonstrator). I find those equally uncomfortable on long drives.

The issue is the bolsters on the squab, they're fine for the first 30mins or so but then the outer side bolster digs into the back of my right thigh/base of my ar$e and gives me a dead leg.

Given there is space to the outside of the seat I'm debating  taking the covers off, splaying these bolsters out (to near horizontal on the outer side) then adding some more foam under the seat cover.

Probably a similar level of faff but for a better result
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 22 queries.