Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eternal or stainless.....  (Read 1660 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Eternal or stainless.....
« on: 10 August 2013, 12:20:41 »

Had a very enjoyable and spirited punt down well known country roads on Wednesday evening and really enjoyed the rasp from the Irmscher back box, thought I.

Drove the same way to work and back next day and on parking up, back box outlets were sitting at a bit of an angle.  A pigs nose has slipped off, thought I.

Put it on the ramp yesterday afternoon to discover both pipes had rusted/snapped on the way into the back box, hence the 'throaty rasp' and the box swinging freely.

I understand eternal are currently the system of choice but will also ask at a nearby place we use for powder coating and other blingtastic work that some of the customers want done to their land/range rovers.  Might get a reasonable price and let them have the fun of drilling out the rusted studs.  Actually, one is a bolt as I drilled it out when I replaced the system 3 (?) years ago with a VX replacement.

Descisions, descisions...... ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Eternal or stainless.....
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2013, 13:03:44 »

If it helps, I put Eternal on TBE shortly after I fitted the Irmscher backbox.  I didn't want the contents from the cheapy mid sections of unknown origin blocking the Irmscher bit.

I have Eternal on the Silver Bullet, must be 3.5yrs?

//Edit: confirmed, tunnie and I fitted the exhaust to the Silver Bullet at Christmas 2009.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2013, 13:05:19 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2013, 13:32:40 »

Having seen some the stainlless systems that people  have had fitted they all look wrong as they are being made as a 2 into 1 system which is wrong,they will be louder and give a power loss,due to the centre box doing all the work, so unless yu can find a company that will replicate the system id stay with a standard system.
Hoof'land storeman.

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2013, 13:57:37 »

Ime most people seem to go for a single mid section box and single pipe on grounds of cost, which ime, makes them loud and feal a bit under powered.

I'm sure the oe system can be replicated as far as twin pipes and boxes goes, but at what cost and moise level, given the clam shell silencing discussed on Aaron's thread, it will be loud and expensive, no matter what. :(

Personally I'd rather fit 3 eternals with the agro of diy, than pay 3 times that for a flat loud ill fitting system, that needs looks and sounds like it needs another £300 spent on it to get a proper job.

...but that's just me. :)

After thought... Have you looked at the Jetex systems? It's a bigger bore, so won't work with irmscher stuff, but it's a nice system and iirc from Dannys car, sounds throaty without droaning at a constant speed or throttle. But boot it, and I'd say it was raspy, not too dissimilar to a busted/rusted through join to back box that I had at the time.

If I didn't have an irmscher box I'd probably have gone the Jetex route.

Yzf 250 has a Jetex. Maybe he'll do you a video..? :) make sure I haven't remembered the wrong car, system, owner, all 3. (It comes to us all on the end you know ;D )

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2013, 18:44:13 »

After thought... Have you looked at the Jetex systems? It's a bigger bore, so won't work with irmscher stuff, but it's a nice system and iirc from Dannys car, sounds throaty without droaning at a constant speed or throttle. But boot it, and I'd say it was raspy, not too dissimilar to a busted/rusted through join to back box that I had at the time.

Yzf 250 has a Jetex. Maybe he'll do you a video..? :) make sure I haven't remembered the wrong car, system, owner, all 3. (It comes to us all on the end you know ;D )

Yep, that's me Chris.  :y

They do reducer pipe if that's any good for Irmscher pipes.  :y

The Jetex system is a copy of the original dual system and fits well but is quite expensive, that's if you can still get one. Some people think the large bore is a bit chavvy but it's not noisy on either idle or flat out. It does have a very slight boom when the engine is taking a slight load but could not be classed as noisy or annoying. At all speeds you wouldn't notice much difference from the original system, which is what they based it on. Stainless will always sound a bit different.

Not sure the true sound would be replicated on video. As it happens, I do have a video of the sound but unfortunately it is not suitable to post here.  :-X  ;)
« Last Edit: 10 August 2013, 18:52:46 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2013, 18:47:30 »

Stainless the way to go  :y

martin42

« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2013, 19:06:43 »

Stainless custom made does not have to be loud,they can tune it to how you want it to sound.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2013, 19:09:43 »

Stainless the way to go  :y

+1

Got a CAT back stainless system on the 3.2 and it sounds nice , Not too loud  :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2013, 21:14:20 »

Personally i'd go for Eternal or ETS of Ebay for the centre sections and keep your back box, ETS will sell you the whole system for less than £100 delivered - you'd then just have a spare standard back box.  :y

I had a custom stainless exhaust on my 3.2 that cost £320 a few years back and it strangled the acceleration due to being a 2 into 1 system. 6 months ago a I bought the ETS system off ebay for under £100 and it goes better - smoother throughout the rev range and accelerates much more eagerly than before. It also sounds far better - quiet but more tuneful on decent throttle if you know what I mean!
« Last Edit: 10 August 2013, 21:20:54 by VXL V6 »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2013, 22:20:01 »

Personally i'd go for Eternal or ETS of Ebay for the centre sections and keep your back box, ETS will sell you the whole system for less than £100 delivered - you'd then just have a spare standard back box.  :y

I had a custom stainless exhaust on my 3.2 that cost £320 a few years back and it strangled the acceleration due to being a 2 into 1 system. 6 months ago a I bought the ETS system off ebay for under £100 and it goes better - smoother throughout the rev range and accelerates much more eagerly than before. It also sounds far better - quiet but more tuneful on decent throttle if you know what I mean!

I rest my case me lud. 8)
Hoof'land storeman.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2013, 22:54:02 »

Good point that, I have the "2 into 1" system on the 3.2, Although i cant say I've noticed it lacing power on acceleration  :-\

Maybe an excuse to do a few 0-60 tests and time them ::)
« Last Edit: 10 August 2013, 22:55:53 by Mr.OmegaMan »

chrisgixer

« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2013, 23:03:26 »

Good point that, I have the "2 into 1" system on the 3.2, Although i cant say I've noticed it lacing power on acceleration  :-\

If its your first 3.2, you probably wouldn't notice...? Maybe?

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2013, 23:17:47 »

If its your first 3.2, you probably wouldn't notice...? Maybe?

Aye True, Been with the 2.2 for some 4 years.. When i have some spare cash i will change it most likely then.. I like the look of the twin exist exhausts tail pipes as well... The previous owner paid around £400 for it as well i have the receipt somewhere..  :o

This is the one on mine, Not been very keen on the look of the square/round shape either tbh  :-X

Sounds like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyimMOMPVcY

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2013, 09:00:31 »

An additional problem with custom made is that most of the mongrels do not understand the physics of it, and just weld and bend pipes to get somethign that fits, often producing ones that seem to affect power delivery, or are droney on cruise or light throttle.

I'm not saying that the likes of Eternal have any more skill, but as they directly copy the GM ones, they have similar quiet noise/performance characteristics to the (old style) GM ones.

IMHO anyway.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 August 2013, 10:13:39 »

Yep, had the same conundrum twice in the last 6 years. Glad I went for Eternal both times.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.