Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TD Sump  (Read 2081 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
TD Sump
« on: 14 August 2016, 16:08:42 »

Bugger, cracked one of the sump lugs pulling the gearbox back in. Suspect one of the 'so-called' guide sleeves was cocked. So the sub-frame has to come off to change the sump. It wouldn't make a lot of difference if I ignored it, but it would annoy me, so I'll swap the sump. >:( >:( >:(

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
Re: TD Sump
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2016, 18:29:57 »

Bugger, cracked one of the sump lugs pulling the gearbox back in. Suspect one of the 'so-called' guide sleeves was cocked. So the sub-frame has to come off to change the sump. It wouldn't make a lot of difference if I ignored it, but it would annoy me, so I'll swap the sump. >:( >:( >:(
I have a sump gasket for a 2.5 td if you want it. I have probably had it 10yrs but its never been open. will be willing to post it to you  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2016, 20:02:15 »

Thanks Ray, I'll let you know. I have realised I don't have the length of garage to get an engine hoist in, so I may be forced, through gritted teeth, to take it to the garage just up the road to have it fitted. I am just waiting to make sure I can get a sump at a reasonable price. I suppose I shouldn't complain. I've had the car for 17 years and done everything else -except gassing a/c - myself. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2016, 13:19:28 »

Thanks Ray, I'll let you know. I have realised I don't have the length of garage to get an engine hoist in, so I may be forced, through gritted teeth, to take it to the garage just up the road to have it fitted. I am just waiting to make sure I can get a sump at a reasonable price. I suppose I shouldn't complain. I've had the car for 17 years and done everything else -except gassing a/c - myself. :y

I use a chain hoist from the rafters in the garage when I need to lift an engine. Doesn't take up anything like as much space as an engine hoist. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2016, 14:54:23 »

I use a chain hoist from the rafters in the garage when I need to lift an engine. Doesn't take up anything like as much space as an engine hoist. :y

I doubt very much if mine would take the weight. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2016, 15:00:41 »

Mine probably can't officially. ;) They run transversely across the garage. I generally lay a length of 4x2 across 3 or 4 joists, so the load is distributed, and support the hoist from the centre of that.

You'd probably need to take the bonnet off an Omega to do that.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2016, 15:38:34 »

I doubt very much if mine would take the weight. :y

I have an engine hoist you could use, the legs go under the car so you don't need a lot of room.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2016, 16:06:59 »

Thanks Jon, I'll let you know. :y

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2016, 20:19:36 »

lidl now & then sell electric hoists. if memory serves me right they lift 1/2ton 6mtrs ( doubling up lifting gear using a block supplied ) or 1/4 ton 12mtrs with winch & hook. I did have one but now no use for it

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2016, 12:44:17 »

The mother of jobs on a TD; Chris ...

Whatever way you choose to lift the lump, you're gonna find it difficult to support it.
Luckily, I was able to put the car up on a two-post lift, which gave excellent all-round access. We then reversed a JCB up to the lift and slung some mighty thick webbing around the front crank pulley to the rear arm of the machine and let it's hydraulics take over. I wasn't really happy about doing this, but didn't fancy taking my chances with using the manifolds as lifting points. The engine mounts can't be used either, as they'll need to be disconnected from the subframe.

Now to the subframe:
It's a stout piece of fabrication, that took three of us to lift/re-align to the car. Personally, I'd disconnect the suspension by removing both wishbones. Whilst not really necessary, experience dictates this as the preferred method. The 'frame will also need to be refitted to the chassis members EXACTLY as before removal. Mine went back a tad out of true and upset the steering geometry. A planned trip to WIM was then brought forward rapidly.

Realistically, doing this job 'on your back' is a definate 'no no' and I'd be inclined to say ... 'sod it!' ... really!

PM sent, Chris!

« Last Edit: 16 August 2016, 12:47:32 by Seth »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2016, 15:46:29 »

The mother of jobs on a TD; Chris ...

Whatever way you choose to lift the lump, you're gonna find it difficult to support it.
Luckily, I was able to put the car up on a two-post lift, which gave excellent all-round access. We then reversed a JCB up to the lift and slung some mighty thick webbing around the front crank pulley to the rear arm of the machine and let it's hydraulics take over. I wasn't really happy about doing this, but didn't fancy taking my chances with using the manifolds as lifting points. The engine mounts can't be used either, as they'll need to be disconnected from the subframe.

Now to the subframe:
It's a stout piece of fabrication, that took three of us to lift/re-align to the car. Personally, I'd disconnect the suspension by removing both wishbones. Whilst not really necessary, experience dictates this as the preferred method. The 'frame will also need to be refitted to the chassis members EXACTLY as before removal. Mine went back a tad out of true and upset the steering geometry. A planned trip to WIM was then brought forward rapidly.

Realistically, doing this job 'on your back' is a definate 'no no' and I'd be inclined to say ... 'sod it!' ... really!

PM sent, Chris!

Funny you should say that, I am giving it to VX who can do it, which they will charge for 3.4 hours. I'd rather pay them than lie on my back for days. Trouble is, I can't find a replacement sump. The only one on eBay is off a BMW E34, number 22428099, and the seller just says check the number against mine! I haven't looked yet, but guess that it will have a GM number anyway, which won't help. :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.