Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction of E10 unleaded fuel  (Read 1897 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Introduction of E10 unleaded fuel
« on: 02 March 2021, 23:36:35 »

Just read a FBHVC (Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs) release, relative to classic car use in the UK. This could also possibly be relative to Vauxhall Omegas....
The Dept of Transport are looking to legislate the introduction of E10 fuel (10% ethanol content) in September 2021, which will become the standard for unleaded fuel in the UK, but continuing to make the current Super Unleaded 97+ octane fuels renamed as a Super E5 'Protection' grade fuel available (with E5 ethanol content as opposed to E10) for older and classic vehicles, no doubt at a premium cost. Garages that currently sell 95 and Super will have to provide both fuels, but with exemptions in remote areas such the Highlands to continue selling E5 95 octane. They are proposing to continue the 'Protection' grade for at least 5 years, but no doubt it will continue for longer due to the numbers of older and classic vehicles on the road.
There is a link to a Gov. website to check which vehicles are compatible with the E10 fuels - apparently the only Vauxhalls listed as NOT compatible being (quote) 'models with the 2.2 litre direct injection petrol engine, motor code Z22YH (Vectra, Signum and Zafira)'.
So, theoretically, the Omega should be able to run on E10, but if the Protection E5 grade is available locally, depending on the cost, I will continue to use that in my Omegas. Ethanol is horrible stuff in petrol, affecting rubber and various metal components in fuel systems, so the more I can avoid its use in mine, the better.
Another 'under the radar' way to get rid of older cars.
In 2000, they promised the contiuing supply of leaded fuel for classic car owners, albeit at a premium price, but that was relatively short lived, and it soon disappeared from forecourts. Dispite additives, there has no real substitute for unleaded fuel, and the same could happen down the line with E5.....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction of E10 unleaded fuel
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2021, 23:55:59 »

They are trying to poison our beloved motors☹️ I only run My vehicles on shell v power,  more expensive but keeps your engine in good nick and doesn’t really cost more as you will do a little more per gallon.
Laying a rubber road.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2021, 00:04:34 »

They are trying to poison our beloved motors☹️ I only run My vehicles on shell v power,   ....

I only use Tesco's finest in all my vehicles ..... I do use the 97 RON in the Roadster though  ;)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2021, 00:20:19 »

Before I mapped the Evo I used to add a can of Pro boost octane booster to every full tank of the best petrol I could get. Didn’t stop me blowing it up twice though before my full nut/bolt rebuild, E9 pistons rods polished crank, Moates ostrich etc, blah blah............and more blah ..
Laying a rubber road.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2021, 01:01:39 »

E9 pistons rods polished crank, Moates ostrich etc, blah blah............and more blah ..

I've not seen that much of an engine in many many years .... closest was doing a head gasket on my daughter's Seciento a few years ago. And that didn't even cure its thirst for coolant  ??? ;D ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2021, 06:38:50 »

The answer is obvious......should have bought a diesel.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2021, 08:41:53 »

E9 pistons rods polished crank, Moates ostrich etc, blah blah............and more blah ..

I've not seen that much of an engine in many many years .... closest was doing a head gasket on my daughter's Seciento a few years ago. And that didn't even cure its thirst for coolant  ??? ;D ;D

I never sorted the water leak on my sister's car either. New pump, radiator, head gasket, hoses, thermostat, nothing fixed it.
That was a car with no redeeming features, and truly appalling handling - oversteer at 30mph on dry roundabouts from an underpowered FWD car ??? ???

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2021, 08:50:28 »

I never sorted the water leak on my sister's car either. New pump, radiator, head gasket, hoses, thermostat, nothing fixed it.
That was a car with no redeeming features, and truly appalling handling - oversteer at 30mph on dry roundabouts from an underpowered FWD car ??? ???

My daughter eventually sorted it by scrapping it  :y :y

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2021, 11:25:25 »

Well you know what Fiat stands for fix it again today !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.