Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Astra J held to Ransom by Eden Vauxhall over failed MOT  (Read 5207 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Astra J held to Ransom by Eden Vauxhall over failed MOT
« Reply #90 on: 23 March 2022, 18:21:04 »

Kind of made my mind up now. Keeping this one, as is, with no money spent on it, until it goes pop, and then I'm buying a Renault.

Swmbo has kicked out the notion of changing her Subaru & replacing it with a Hybrid Yaris , so it's booked in Monday for a service & new timing belt etc , only does about 3,000 miles a year so makes sense.
Good solid car, if a bit 'distinctive', Mick.  :y

It's been amazing we've known it from new bought it 5 years ago with 27,000 miles now showing 49,000 totally original never had a repair of any kind just service items when required and goes like a bullet if required only cost £2,800 so owes us nothing not bad for a vehicle that is now 17 years old & never failed an MOT.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 24 March 2022, 08:33:05 »

Kind of made my mind up now. Keeping this one, as is, with no money spent on it, until it goes pop, and then I'm buying a Renault.

Swmbo has kicked out the notion of changing her Subaru & replacing it with a Hybrid Yaris , so it's booked in Monday for a service & new timing belt etc , only does about 3,000 miles a year so makes sense.
Good solid car, if a bit 'distinctive', Mick.  :y

It's been amazing we've known it from new bought it 5 years ago with 27,000 miles now showing 49,000 totally original never had a repair of any kind just service items when required and goes like a bullet if required only cost £2,800 so owes us nothing not bad for a vehicle that is now 17 years old & never failed an MOT.

Very sensible, particularly given how hateful the alternative is ! (with a horrible CVT gearbox to boot)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 24 March 2022, 08:55:50 »

(with a horrible CVT gearbox to boot)
Why do 'we' dislike CVT gearboxes? They should in theory be good to drive .... engine always at peak torque while the road speed catches up. I drove an old Fiesta auto years ago with the variable (DAF?) gearbox and it was certainly different, And didn't Audi's CVT drive as though there were gear changes.
The variable cone drives via V belts at work have slowly been replaced by direct drive & electrickery.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 24 March 2022, 09:07:13 »

Why do 'we' dislike CVT gearboxes? They should in theory be good to drive .... engine always at peak torque while the road speed catches up. I drove an old Fiesta auto years ago with the variable (DAF?) gearbox and it was certainly different, And didn't Audi's CVT drive as though there were gear changes.
The variable cone drives via V belts at work have slowly been replaced by direct drive & electrickery.

We both like the look of the Yaris but I'm more than happy with her decision hopefully keep the Subaru for a few more years, the thought of spending  around £20,000 on replacing it never sat well with me !
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 24 March 2022, 11:18:52 »

I've only had experience of 90's /early 2000's CVT. I disliked those as anytime you put your foot down they seemed to rev to near redline (peak torque maybe?) And hold it there until you stopped accelerating. Made for a very 'unrelaxing' driving experience.

I don't doubt newer ones are better and iirc you're right, many of them now have simulated gear ratios, although I would have thought this rather defeats the point of them.  :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 24 March 2022, 12:30:44 »

Driven a few 'modern ones', in Toyotas and the Lexus hybrid.

There just loud and very disconnected, engine braking is poor.

You put your foot down or press the sport button and the engine jumps upto silly revs and just gets loud, on the smaller engine cars, with minimal acceleration. Its very jet aircraft take off noise without being pushed into your seat, and of course the engines with the decent output are standard boxes as the laggy bands cannot take the torque

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 24 March 2022, 13:25:04 »

I've only had experience of 90's /early 2000's CVT. I disliked those as anytime you put your foot down they seemed to rev to near redline (peak torque maybe?) And hold it there until you stopped accelerating. Made for a very 'unrelaxing' driving experience.

I don't doubt newer ones are better and iirc you're right, many of them now have simulated gear ratios, although I would have thought this rather defeats the point of them.  :-\

My 1974 Capri 1600 XL with a badly slipping clutch did this. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 24 March 2022, 13:30:14 »

Yeah well, I was 19 you see and had £12,500 deposited in my bank. I could have bought a house, but wtf does a 19 year old want with a house ?  ;D
So I bought a 6 month old Chevette HS. Then spent £635 to insure it third party only. About 6 months later I was driving along a country lane in heavy fog, and didnt even see the sharp right hand bend, so ended up in a ditch. That was another £1200 to fix it.
What happened to the rest of the money I hear you ask ?
I met the wife.  ;D
Youth is wasted on the young.  ::) :D

According to the Bank of England inflation checker £12500 in 1979 is equal to £67923 today. :o :o :o

Did you rob a bank? :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 24 March 2022, 15:07:52 »

Yeah well, I was 19 you see and had £12,500 deposited in my bank. I could have bought a house, but wtf does a 19 year old want with a house ?  ;D
So I bought a 6 month old Chevette HS. Then spent £635 to insure it third party only. About 6 months later I was driving along a country lane in heavy fog, and didnt even see the sharp right hand bend, so ended up in a ditch. That was another £1200 to fix it.
I met the wife.  ;D

According to the Bank of England inflation checker £12500 in 1979 is equal to £67923 today. :o :o :o

His parents gave it to him if he promised to eff off and never come back. Money well spent in my opinion  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 24 March 2022, 15:46:31 »

I met the wife.  ;D

His parents gave it to him if he promised to eff off and never come back. Money well spent in my opinion  ;D

That's a lot of money for a 19 year old.

I bet he wished he had kept the 2300 HS as they are worth a bob or two now. ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 24 March 2022, 18:19:29 »

Because they feel like a permanently slipping clutch, unlike a correctly chosen gear. It doesn't matter if you chose which one or the gearbox software did, it still feels right.

They sound like a dying cow while they're doing it.

And their durability is lacking.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 24 March 2022, 21:14:01 »

I met the wife.  ;D

That's a lot of money for a 19 year old.

I bet he wished he had kept the 2300 HS as they are worth a bob or two now. ::)

It was a claim for a motorbike accident. It actually should have been a lot more, as a fooked kidney was generally worth about 30 grand at the time. A few years later my solicitor was jailed for nicking clients money.
He probably gave me the £12500 for my fooked leg and kept the 30 grand for the kidney for himself.  ::)
I had a solicitor in England look into it, but he came back to me and mumbled something about paramilitary funding being involved and washed his hands of it.
Story of my life. If it wasnt for bad luck I wouldnt have any luck at all.
A decent HS would be somewhere north of 30 grand now, so yes I wish I still had it.
Around that time my uncle bought a derelict house in Belfast for £100 and got a 100% grant from the council to do it up.
If I had been a boring sensible young fellow, I could have been a rich man now.  ;D
Still, I did have some fun.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 26 March 2022, 19:59:03 »

You can take it away to complete any repairs, and return it same day, They are stopping you from taking it away due to, a dealership a while back letting a car leave that had failed, something happened and a court case occurred, dealership were found to be at fault,for allowing unroadworthy vehicle leave,, simple solution would have been a disclaimer,, so they are ar5e covering, link for retesting cars
 https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests
Hoof'land storeman.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 26 March 2022, 21:23:18 »

That Gov.UK list is for only very minor faults, and my interpretation of the link doesn't include tyres or an alledged 'corroded' rear spring.
James' argument is that the tyres are legal; theirs is that they are illegal. Whether or not they are actually legal or otherwise, their stance is such that as they were allegedly a 'dangerous' fail, they couldn't permit the car to be driven on a highway, and therefore get the job of replacing the tyres.
If James is happy that the tyres are legal, he should be able to take it away, repair the defects, and return it within 10 days for a partial retest, and probably have to pay the retest fee. Many smaller garages don't charge for this, but the way this has gone, they are not likely to waiver the partial retest fee.
This has probably been said previously, but as this topic is now so long, I'm not going back through it to check. ::)
I think there are several morals to this  - preferably use your local previously known MOT man, don't use franchised dealers who are likely to try to get 'up sell', and don't fall for the 'free MOT for life' or 'MOT's only £25' marketing rubbish....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.