Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest  (Read 114048 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest
« Reply #375 on: 14 September 2015, 13:53:16 »

couldn't agree more DBG..... as you say, if you are not cornering then im not sure it'll be an issue  :y

however.....ive been to the weighbridge this morning....some interesting finds (once ive done the maths  ::) ;D)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: 14 September 2015, 14:49:18 »

Ok, as mentioned above I have today been to the weighbridge.

Below are my calculations based on my test in comparison with Vauxhall....apologies if boring  ;)

Original Vauxhall Test:

Kerb weight when Vauxhall tested was 1643kg. This included a full tank. No driver. No luggage. (Your handbook will say 1718kg but if you read the little note at the bottom that included 7kg luggage and a 68kg driver).

To this they add 200kg to allow for an average configuration and includes the driver.

Total - 1843kg.

With this they get a 0-60 time of 9.2 seconds.

Me and my Omega:

I got the car weighed in exactly the conditions as I did the test in...virtually no petrol and with my full size spare in the boot and not including me....car weighed 1647kg. Add to this my 'ample' frame and the weight jumps to over 3000kg. haha just kidding ;) with my weight it goes to 1761kg.

With this set up I got a 0-60 time of 9.44 seconds.

Conclusion...

The weight difference between the two test weights (mine and theirs) is 82kg. I work out using 0-60 calculators online that 82kg is worth 0.322 seconds.

Therefore I can conclude that the times for comparison are...

Vauxhall - 9.2 seconds
My Omega - 9.76 seconds

A difference of just over half a second slower compared to Vauxhall's original figures.

I've learned lots on this thread and I think I'm happy that the half a second could be made up.

Advantages they had was using the test equipment they had available, the dead flat ''grippy'' straight they used at their Dudenhofen facility in the Fatherland (I looked at my place of testing en route to the weighbridge and im starting to convince myself its a slight incline!) and getting really nerdy, look at humidity/airtemp etc.

I think one massive key thing (as the guy from Vauxhall also said) that I would need to perfect that launch especially as that was only my 2nd attempt and I'm sure I could have got a bit more out of it.

As mentioned before I'm not going to do any more tests. Although i'd have dearly loved to have matched the original results I'm quite happy with the results I did get and in the knowledge that I could probably bring that time down if I was to do all the things above. but I'm not going to be doing anymore brake torque starts lol

Getting well under 10 seconds. That in itself I thought was a challenge.

So I can put this to bed now. Cheers for all the comments along the way. good and bad lol

Now. to STEMO's all season tyres..... :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 14 September 2015, 15:20:49 »

Personally haven't found this thread laborious (that's saying a lot given its length!  :y) and have found it very interesting. Very pleased you've essentially got the answers you were looking for. Keep up the good work, and this should prove helpful for many Omega owners in the future.

For what it's worth, I think you've done terrific to get the time you did, and it's a bit of a testament to the engineers to have made an engine still able to produce that power and torque after so many thousand miles. with that tiny difference in time what do we say? 1/4 second down to maybe 5 bhp lost by the engine, and another 1/4 lost by sheer luck/how you set off. Maybe after ten runs you'd shave that elusive few tenths of a second off, but maybe at the expense of a torque converter, and the removal of ten, or twenty thousand miles off the lifespan of the engine.

I'd pat you on the back were it not so sweaty from all the graft you've put in on this!  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 14 September 2015, 15:29:21 »

;D thanks very much DBG  :y I think I got some results that were as close to scientific as I could get given my joe blogs budget and the the tools at my disposal.

obviously the man from Vauxhall also said what you refer to.... in that ''don't forget as well as having pro drivers and all the test equipment available we were also using a box fresh car!''

I know mines not down on compression but I wonder if a basic valve job would have an effect.....not that I can be bothered.... perhaps if I ever change the HGs again in't future ::) :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: 14 September 2015, 15:38:34 »

You're welcome, and indeed there's plenty of variables which you shouldn't worry about.

Perhaps this was already mentioned, but what rpm did you lift the brake pedal in the end, to achieve your final result?  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 14 September 2015, 15:42:38 »

Good question. in truth I don't know the exact rpm as I was concerned with not hitting traffic  ;D. but it was around the 2500rpm mark...not sure it woulda gone up anymore?

when I did the launch I don't think I went straight from brake to flooring it.....I think I went to near flooring it followed by foot flat cos I was worried about wheel spin....again some tenths to be made up there in my reckoning.  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: 14 September 2015, 22:21:40 »

Page 26  :o
Hoof'land storeman.

mka306

« Reply #382 on: 15 September 2015, 07:51:01 »

Page 26  :o

Must admit I'm not surprised it's carried on this long. Top thread imo as I've enjoyed all the tests and facts or fictiuon, very enjoyable readinghttp://images.omegaowners.com/forum/smf2000/Smileys/oofstd/thumbsup.gif

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 15 September 2015, 11:55:44 »

Mr Bear, you have thoroughly researched the weight of your Omega. Top marks. You now have a definitive figure for your research. :y

However, you still seem to be blind to 'the elephant in the room'......the timing gear.

I would say  the egg timer/sundial which  you use to calculate time speed and distance, could easily be up to one and a half seconds inaccurate.

Your 9.7 second timing could be anything from 8.2 to 11.2 seconds.

Your Omega may therefore be  either 'super fast'  or  'shit slow'....... ;) :D ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 15 September 2015, 18:31:48 »

Thanks for the support guys.

Thanks opti. Though I don't see how.  :P ;D

During this thread I was told to time from the moment my foot left the brake (that moment was marked by me saying the word 'go' in the video). Timed right up to 63 on the clock (as it was suggested that my speedo would be out...and it was by 2-3mph). While I acknowledge that I could be up to a few tenths out I'd disagree that it would be 1.5 secs out. If anything I'd suggest I've gone conservative with the timing...starting the split second BEFORE I lift off the brake so there's no qualms.

I don't really know what more I could do without sophisticated gps timing (as vx used)?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 15 September 2015, 18:51:52 »

Thanks for the support guys.

Thanks opti. Though I don't see how.  :P ;D

During this thread I was told to time from the moment my foot left the brake (that moment was marked by me saying the word 'go' in the video). Timed right up to 63 on the clock (as it was suggested that my speedo would be out...and it was by 2-3mph). While I acknowledge that I could be up to a few tenths out I'd disagree that it would be 1.5 secs out. If anything I'd suggest I've gone conservative with the timing...starting the split second BEFORE I lift off the brake so there's no qualms.

I don't really know what more I could do without sophisticated gps timing (as vx used)?

Buy it with you credit card.......use it......then ask for refund suggesting it is not suitable. ;)

Racelogic Vbox sport will give  you the answers. :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: 15 September 2015, 19:07:33 »

I thought back on this thread (sorry, can't find it through looking) someone said they were shit and inaccurate? Sorry if I've got that wrong
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: 15 September 2015, 20:58:49 »

Holy smokes. . . . Would defo have to return it. . . £298  :o

So do these work or inaccurate therefore pointless?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 15 September 2015, 22:39:20 »

Holy smokes. . . . Would defo have to return it. . . £298  :o

So do these work or inaccurate therefore pointless?

Yes...and extremely accurate to well within 0.1 sec and 0.1 MPH.

I think it's also accurate to 50cm  over a distance of 1000 metres.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 16 September 2015, 10:07:59 »

Out of interest to the Bear, I timed mine (2.5 V6 PFL) on the car's on board stopwatch and got 10.5secs. That's without any 'launching' techniques, in sport mode of course, with a possible slight downward slope. So I'd make a slightly uneducated guess that if I built up the revs, holding the brake, and on flat ground, with a proper timer that the sub-ten secs barrier would be broken.

That's 179,000 engine needing an oil change, with no engine mods, even the EGR isnt blanked off yet. Of course the times could be wildly off, using the car's stopwatch, but I offer purely as a comparison to show the 'ballpark' that shows Webby is clearly in the right area.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.