Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest  (Read 113927 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest
« Reply #540 on: 26 October 2015, 22:51:52 »

The possible wear in the tranny could cause acceleration loss?

Anyone confirm this?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: 26 October 2015, 22:58:08 »

Anyone confirm this?

Yes it can if the gear changes are sluggish due to loss of friction.  Think of it as a slipping clutch on a Manual.  Not all of the intended 'power' is being sent to the driving wheels.

But how far do you go?  If the Diff oil is not at it's prime, it'll cause extra friction in the Diff, causing a loss of power to the driven wheels.

etc etc etc etc etc
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: 27 October 2015, 10:51:03 »

Has Mr The Bear not done his gearbox oil? Certainly worth doing it if you haven't, even for preventative maintenance. I found just over a litre more went in, than came out of mine  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: 27 October 2015, 11:10:10 »

I can't think of anything in the transmission which could absorb a significant amount of engine output yet not destroy itself in the process. Certainly, if it was slipping, it would burn out the clutches in short order.

By all means do a fluid change, as that's advisable on a regular basis anyway, but don't count on it making much difference. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: 27 October 2015, 14:06:42 »

Not being intricately aware of the workings of a torque converter, would this be the logical place for any slip to occur?

Personally I think Webby's got a damn fine engine, myself. Any engine that can produce 99% (and possibly 100%, we'll never know unless it was bench tested the day it left Russelsheim) of the same power so many years after being built is brilliant.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: 27 October 2015, 19:09:45 »

The saga continues!!This is set to run longer than Coronation Street :D ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: 27 October 2015, 21:08:39 »

Anyone confirm this?

Yes it can if the gear changes are sluggish due to loss of friction.  Think of it as a slipping clutch on a Manual.  Not all of the intended 'power' is being sent to the driving wheels.

But how far do you go?  If the Diff oil is not at it's prime, it'll cause extra friction in the Diff, causing a loss of power to the driven wheels.

etc etc etc etc etc

Perfect thanks broomie  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: 27 October 2015, 21:12:45 »

I can't think of anything in the transmission which could absorb a significant amount of engine output yet not destroy itself in the process. Certainly, if it was slipping, it would burn out the clutches in short order.

By all means do a fluid change, as that's advisable on a regular basis anyway, but don't count on it making much difference. ;)

Sorry kev, are you agreeing that the loss of performance could be in the gearbox?

To be totally honest, as long as I have a reason for where the power has gone I am not fussed about getting a new gearbox to fix five tenths at the race track! But as a new car mechanic I like to understand it and have a definitive reason for it.

The facts are these. . . I have proved my engine is performing exactly as it should and did all those years ago. . . It has to be the tranny.

How to test this for sure. . . Transmission oil analysis! And yes, I am that sad  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: 27 October 2015, 21:16:27 »

Has Mr The Bear not done his gearbox oil? Certainly worth doing it if you haven't, even for preventative maintenance. I found just over a litre more went in, than came out of mine  :)

Lol no mate I've never changed it. And that's cos I read somewhere that if you do an oil change on an ageing tranny that's never had new oil, it can wreck it. Sum at to do with the new 'slippy' oil being able to bypass things that the old oil (being thicker) was sealing up. That's what I heard. No idea if that's true.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: 27 October 2015, 21:26:20 »

Not being intricately aware of the workings of a torque converter, would this be the logical place for any slip to occur?

Personally I think Webby's got a damn fine engine, myself. Any engine that can produce 99% (and possibly 100%, we'll never know unless it was bench tested the day it left Russelsheim) of the same power so many years after being built is brilliant.
Have a read of this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: 27 October 2015, 21:37:16 »

Lol no mate I've never changed it. And that's cos I read somewhere that if you do an oil change on an ageing tranny that's never had new oil, it can wreck it. Sum at to do with the new 'slippy' oil being able to bypass things that the old oil (being thicker) was sealing up. That's what I heard. No idea if that's true.
I changed the oil in mine about 20,000 miles ago (at 185,000 miles) because it is slow to engage reverse and I wanted to see if there were any things in the sump that shouldn't be there. It didn't make any difference at all. ::)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: 27 October 2015, 23:45:47 »

Different transmission admittedly, but my 126,000 mile Saab has been treated to THREE transmission oil changes in quick succession (30 miles between changes).  The Transmission fluid was dark, and didn't smell great.  Not a lot of fluid is in the sump, so a simple drain and re-fill won't replace a lot, three efforts, and there is still old fluid in there.

More difficult with the stupid 'sealed for life' crap in the Omega and lots of other modern cars. 

Anyone who believes an Auto Transmission doesn't benefit from fresh oil needs a lesson in Oil degradation!   ::)
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 28 October 2015, 11:13:43 »

Noo, well worth an oil change, vauxhall themselves recommend it on higher mileage (because they never get servicing times wrong *cough timing belt cough timing belt*) :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: 28 October 2015, 11:37:47 »

So what IS the 0-60 time supposed to be then ..............   ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 28 October 2015, 11:39:23 »

I've forgotten what Webby's actual time was, now, it was that long ago  :D

Brochure is 9.5 or thereabouts?

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.