Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest  (Read 113956 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest
« Reply #660 on: 12 December 2015, 20:40:13 »

ok, well i still plan to do the test in the next summer.

you know, perhaps the climate/humidity may make a difference.

however i think the meat and potatoes of the test is replicating the set up of the car (e.g. tyres, well maintained etc), replicating the test weight of the car, getting it timed correctly with an accelerometer, doing it on a dry and level track with zero wind and finally perfecting my driving skills to get the most out of the car.

i'm really looking forward to the results. should be a fun day out too.

You wouldn't manage all that in a day if you had the entire track to yourself. And all you're going to achieve is a baseline for your car. But you're right, it has the potential to be fun. In a boring sort of way as you're doing it with a very slow car.

I still have the accelerometer if you're interested.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: 13 December 2015, 09:33:54 »

ok, well i still plan to do the test in the next summer.

however i think the meat and potatoes of the test is replicating the set up of the car (e.g. tyres, well maintained etc), replicating the test weight of the car, getting it timed correctly with an accelerometer, doing it on a dry and level track with zero wind and finally perfecting my driving skills to get the most out of the car.

i'm really looking forward to the results. should be a fun day out too.

You wouldn't manage all that in a day if you had the entire track to yourself. And all you're going to achieve is a baseline for your car. But you're right, it has the potential to be fun. In a boring sort of way as you're doing it with a very slow car.

I still have the accelerometer if you're interested.

Yep I've had a good think and I'd like to buy it nick  :y is the new year ok to pay for it due to funds and Xmas etc?? U know I'm a bit thick, even more so with computer stuff. Is it a turn on and go sorta thing or much messing about with computers and such?

Lol yeah your right. It's never going to set the world on fire for speed. But as I've mentioned before it's really about testing theories in the real world and hopefully get some good results.

As stemo mentioned.....all this is probably pointless if they just made the figures up anyway  ;D

Tb, why do you say the labels are 'dangle berries'? I feel a tale of sideways action coming on  ;D I got to say that I was very surprised they had such a good rating for being so cheap. So you may be right in that they just make it up  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: 13 December 2015, 09:48:36 »

Tb, why do you say the labels are 'dangle berries'? I feel a tale of sideways action coming on  ;D I got to say that I was very surprised they had such a good rating for being so cheap. So you may be right in that they just make it up  ;D
Its tested almost with the release compound still in place, and under conditions that appear to be completely irrelevant to actual usage.

I can tell you from a £700 mistake on the (wet grip) A rated SC5 that they are absolute, utter, borderline dangerous shite. Far worse than the C rated Heinz 57 budgets that came off (and we know that budgets invariably have poor wet performance).

The A rated GY F1 A2 also mediocre for wet and dry grip.

The well known, lethal, deadly Autogrip FS10x range actually start out well as a reasonable budget tyre, but once about a third worn (so about 5-6mm left) always turn into something that will kill you if it detects rain within 1000 miles.

Its not really possible to label tyres, as chrisgixer found when he tried doing a survey on here, as a tyre's characteristics often do change over its life, and people's expectations vary from "MOT passing, black and round" to "something that actually works"
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 13 December 2015, 10:05:20 »

One thing I don't think you've considered Webby is altitude.  As we know the higher the altitude the thinner the air gets and those who have driven a car/truck at high altitudes will know that the performance is affected. So I think you need to find out what the altitude is at the original test site and conduct your test at the same or near altitude.  :y

But I think you need to be careful Webby as I heard of obsessions like this leading to divorce!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: 13 December 2015, 14:06:46 »

But I think you need to be careful Webby as I heard of obsessions like this leading to divorce;D

How would I obtain an obsession????   ;D
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

05omegav6

« Reply #665 on: 13 December 2015, 14:11:41 »

But I think you need to be careful Webby as I heard of obsessions like this leading to divorce;D

How would I obtain an obsession????   ;D
45 pages of inspiration here ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: 13 December 2015, 15:30:30 »

Its tested almost with the release compound still in place, and under conditions that appear to be completely irrelevant to actual usage.

I can tell you from a £700 mistake on the (wet grip) A rated SC5 that they are absolute, utter, borderline dangerous shite. Far worse than the C rated Heinz 57 budgets that came off (and we know that budgets invariably have poor wet performance).

The A rated GY F1 A2 also mediocre for wet and dry grip.

The well known, lethal, deadly Autogrip FS10x range actually start out well as a reasonable budget tyre, but once about a third worn (so about 5-6mm left) always turn into something that will kill you if it detects rain within 1000 miles.

Its not really possible to label tyres, as chrisgixer found when he tried doing a survey on here, as a tyre's characteristics often do change over its life, and people's expectations vary from "MOT passing, black and round" to "something that actually works"

Really good point about them changing over the life time  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: 13 December 2015, 15:32:23 »

One thing I don't think you've considered Webby is altitude.  As we know the higher the altitude the thinner the air gets and those who have driven a car/truck at high altitudes will know that the performance is affected. So I think you need to find out what the altitude is at the original test site and conduct your test at the same or near altitude.  :y

But I think you need to be careful Webby as I heard of obsessions like this leading to divorce!  ;D

Already ahead of you tig  ;D

Original test site is 89m above sea level. Santa pod is only around 50ft above. So yes there is a difference. I've struggled to find out how much this will affect it tho
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: 13 December 2015, 15:34:01 »

Original test site is 89m above sea level. Santa pod is only around 50ft above. So yes there is a difference. I've struggled to find out how much this will affect it tho

Probably about the same difference as you only having 6 sausages on your fried breakfast instead of the usual 8!  :P

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: 13 December 2015, 15:36:57 »

One thing out of interest. . . . Will an incorrect gel set up affect acceleration? Mine is bang on as I last had mine done by wim and nothing seems to have changed when I put it on the 4 wheel aligned at work.

Obviously incorrect toe would create I presume a large amount of resistance but I was thinking more the camber and castor. Any thoughts
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: 13 December 2015, 15:37:53 »

Probably about the same difference as you only having 6 sausages on your fried breakfast instead of the usual 8!  :P

;D I'll be weighing myself the morning of the test!  :P ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: 20 December 2015, 14:40:53 »

May struggle to find Michelin ps3's for the testing according to our tyre supplier. Anyone know a place that sells them.

Michelin, of their current stock, recommend the 'primacy' for my car. Are these similar tyres to the ps3's?

U may say this is pointless but I'm doing it nonetheless  :P ;)

They open a RWYB in January. I hope the weather is clear for that day. By then I should have my accelerometer (thanks nickW), ill have some nice michelins (I have always wanted a decent set to try out anyway) I'll have the exact test weight according to Vauxhall and it will be on a grippy/level track.

If I am to make predictions I don't think my car will do the time with the extra weight in the car that Vauxhall say they add to the test (remember they say they add 200kg to the kerb weight to do their test). I have had time to ponder this extra weight and I think it's 'dangle berries'. However it will be interesting to see my times WITH the weight and I plan to do some runs with all extra weight ditched! I may even get my slender buddy to do the test for me. I reckon it will do the time with spare removed, ballast removed etc. but we'll see.

:y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: 20 December 2015, 18:35:22 »

And can we also have a discussion on how many RPMs to chuck on when holding the brake in the auto?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: 20 December 2015, 18:37:05 »

And can we also have a discussion on how many RPMs to chuck on when holding the brake in the auto?

I'm presuming the stall speed of 2500rpm? But can I get away with any more and will it actually help?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: 20 December 2015, 19:33:11 »

I'm presuming the stall speed of 2500rpm? But can I get away with any more and will it actually help?

Presumably, the more the merrier provided it doesn't cause you to break traction.  So, with a 2.5, about 6,000RPM should be just fine.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.