Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: errr...   sudden engine shut down.....    (Read 1988 times)

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
errr...   sudden engine shut down.....  
« on: 17 January 2007, 09:43:18 »

Hi all....  

I had a nasty surprise this morning while on the school run......  all of a sudden, with no warning, no rough running, no nothing...  the engine cut out on my 3.0 Elite...  not quite at idle, but low speed with minimal throttle....

I switched off all ancilliary things like heater, lights, stereo, and turned the key... and bingo... it restarted just fine....

...odd....  i thought.....

then on my way home, sat in traffic, idling... it did it again......   it just stopped running.... no other symptoms...   and only the usual complement of warnings lights that you'd expect to see when the ignition is on, but the engine is not running....  
and likewise, it started straight away again....   no problem, no hesitation, no nasty noises.....

Somewhere or other, I have one of those gadgets that makes the paperclip test a little easier (effectively a switch wired to short across the right connections, and fitted with the plug for the data socket)..
So i'll dig it out and see if there are any fault codes with and without the engine running....  and post them later...

meanwhile, can anyone think of a cause for this....  ?????

The only ones that immediately spring to mind for me is perhaps the crank sensor starting to go faulty....????  or it's wiring perhaps being damaged or connector loose....

anyone got any other ideas I should also investigate....   I guess I'm just lucky this didn't happen at speed on the ring road....

I cannot repeat the fault "at will" which makes me nervous... i hate not being able to actually predictably demonstrate a fault whilst in the process of identifying it....  it leaves me open to huge bills... and I'm skint after just paying £500 or so for new rear wheel bearing and EGR valve replacements

any suggestions gratefully accepted.......

Max
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: errr...   sudden engine shut down.....  
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2007, 10:51:41 »

That will be your crank sensor then. :)

Start it up (assuming it will) and expect to see a code 19.

Easy job to replace, just make sure you get the correct sensor.
The Administrator.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: errr...   sudden engine shut down..... &n
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2007, 12:13:25 »

yep classic crank sensor symptoms

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2007, 12:28:48 »

That will be your crank sensor then. :)

Start it up (assuming it will) and expect to see a code 19.

Easy job to replace, just make sure you get the correct sensor.

Thunk.

the sound of a nail being hit squarely on the noggin....  code 19 alright....

i must have been plumb lucky to get it home this morning as the bastardo won't fire up at all now....

hey ho....  back to the garage it goes......  thank god they're only right over the road from me....

is £49.50 an hour a decent rate these days???

(+Vat)

and can anyone confirm that 90540743 is the right part number for a 3.0 V6 engine no 8297696  ??

ta muchly chaps.....  

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2007, 12:49:30 »

£50 + vat an hour? humm thats high tbh, i know Vx dealers which charge less!

I could see myself selling my services here  ::) ;D

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2007, 13:10:47 »

where????

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2007, 13:24:30 »

Why not save on the labour costs and do the job yourself atleast then you know the job will be done properly, others on here have done the job so there should be plenty on here who would be able to advise if needed.

Buying the part well, might be worth checking www.autovaux.co.uk or possibly contacting someone with TC atleast then you will end up with a genuine GM part.

With Autovaux though its best to ring them as they do get busy.

Just my tuppence worth :y

*editted*

My apologies just read your newbie thread kinda rules my idea out :-[
« Last Edit: 17 January 2007, 13:27:55 by nixoro »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2007, 13:38:59 »

Changing the crank sensor is one of the easier jobs on the Omega.
I have got it down to 12 minutes now! ;)

The socket end of the sensor sits at the back of the engine behind the rear multiram.
The other end is next to the oil filter held on by a T8 (I think) torx bolt.

Just realised, we don't have a how2 guide for it on here!  :o

Anyway. If you are getting a garage to do it give them this important piece of information.

DO NOT try and re-route the same way as the original!
This will take considerable time and runs way too close to the exhaust (cooks the cable).

Instead, route the sensor wire down the side, attaching to the pipework on the passenger side of the engine bay.
This keeps the cable clear of the exhaust and is also much quicker to complete the job (ie garage should take no more than 30 mins!)
The Administrator.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2007, 14:24:45 »

I could see myself selling my services here  ::) ;D

I can see myself being quite eager to pay someone hereabouts a more reasonable (in relative terms ;) ) rate to do some of these jobs......  in the near future  I'm about to need to do Cam belt and water pump on BOTH V6's   .......  Secondary air and front brakes  on the Sintra need sorting.... and both gearboxes could use a complete fluid changes and new filters.....   ... the list goes on....   and I'm in no position to do it myself....

it's not technical skills that I'm short on... (I'm an Engineering and Physics graduate....... ) it's physical ability....  I broke my neck and damaged my lower back in 89 (courtesy of another driver running some red lights ) ... at the time, I made a pretty good recovery, but it's come back to haunt me... affecting the use of my hands for strength and fine motor skills... and ability to bend over etc..   so much so that I'm now technically supposed to be registered as disabled.....  generally I can get along for most things..., so don't feel the need to go the whole Orange badge route... besides... that's kind of like admitting total defeat.... ... but there are times... like now... when It's a right royal pain in the arse...  

Max

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2007, 16:32:27 »

too close to the exhaust (cooks the cable).

Don't you mean too close to the hot oil pipes ;)
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2007, 16:44:43 »

Its a shame there isn't anyone near you that could perhaps lend a hand.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2007, 17:27:47 »

yeah it would be nice,  or better yet....   a gang of Omega Fixing Pixies that creep around at night repairing people's Omega's while the owners are asleep.........
:D

more seriously....  I wouldn't expect anyone to do so out of altruism... although i'm fully aware that many members here are actually that nice "for real" .....  but it's a bit much to expect  members of any social group to do such things "on request", even if  one has "history" within that group and existing friendships and stuff......

what i mean is it's one thing to do so for a mate... no matter how nebulous the relationship...   and quite another for an almost total stranger....  

(although weirder stuff happens at sea....  )

ohhh   bloody hell it's not coming out the way it sounded in my head....  

but more bluntly....   I don't expect freebies.    not  for any reason.......  

sure it's nice when it happens and you can't say no....  rather humbling actually.....  

but one should never EXPECT anything of the sort.

if you see what i mean....

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2007, 17:39:47 »

I see what you mean :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2007, 18:13:25 »

I'm not hugely far from Oxford.  I am just a little tied up for next couple of days playing Head Gaskets.  Once thats done, more than willing to help keep cash in your pocket and away from dealer...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2007, 21:10:30 »

i would be more than happy to help, unfortunately cambelts is something i have never done. Getting better all the time though can help out on:

DIS Replacement,
Coolant & Oil changes
Brake Pads, sensors & Disc's replaced
ICV Plugs ect...

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 January 2007, 23:36:59 »

Thank you both for the offer...   it's much appreciated... and highly commendable, and brave ;) of you....  

As it is... for the mo, the crank sensor will have to be done "over the road"   They're not a Vx Stealer, but not apparently the cheapest independent service facility on earth either.... ...  but over the road means no tow or recovery hassles....  given the complete intransigence of the elite now with regards to the idea of actually starting the engine....   it's probably handiest....  and I really want the Elite running ASAP....    I'm currently reduced to borrowing my Daughter's 106 "independence" 1100.  3 door....     ARRRGGHHHHHHH  it's a nightmare......  no power steering....  is really trying my limits with the hand strength and stamina if I'm in town...  out on the road it's not so bad... as long as I don't expect it to go like the Elite ;)  and the lack of headroom for monsters like me is giving me neck a hard time......   and as for the school runs.....   the kids are NOT amused...  :(

but at least it's running and free......   seeing as she has yet to pass her test......  

However.... TB if you should happen to hear of anyone in striking distance  arranging some sort of Cambelt party in the next couple of months....  I have 2 patients in need of such ministrations....   I'd gladly cough up a fair wodge of dough , and hand (blunted... incase I drop em) scalpels, torque wrenches, tea, coffee and JD,  and such like, to the surgeons....   as opposed to using any of the local VX dealers.. none of whom i have a great deal of faith in...   (when you have to deal with maintaining a Sintra, you VERY quickly amass a large number of horror stories concerning bloody VX dealers... )

Ditto the Gearbox Flush and refill + filter change scenario.... although i confess I've NEVER heard of anyone organising a party for THAT particular penance....

Tunnie.....   cheers, your enthusiasm does you credit ...   your Senator is always welcome around here....  :D  Pacman Dash or not....  ;)

I'll add that I'm fairly well familiar with North Oxfordshire, and the wilds of Brackley....  (is there still a krypton tuning place down by the railway bridge?)   I mostly grew up in Charlton-on-Otmoor, followed by Middle Barton.

BEFORE there were speed cameras :D

Best regards

Max

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 January 2007, 07:24:30 »

Wat a brilliant site this is it warms my heart to know that help and advice are  a whisker away im now 67 and some of these jobs terrify me but for you guys to help yr fellow omega owners fills me with awe and admiration

Robert
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 January 2007, 08:25:27 »

I'll add that I'm fairly well familiar with North Oxfordshire, and the wilds of Brackley....  (is there still a krypton tuning place down by the railway bridge?)   I mostly grew up in Charlton-on-Otmoor, followed by Middle Barton.
Railway bridge? You're showing your age ;)  (no bridges round here for some considerable time)...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 January 2007, 08:27:16 »

However.... TB if you should happen to hear of anyone in striking distance  arranging some sort of Cambelt party in the next couple of months....  I have 2 patients in need of such ministrations....   I'd gladly cough up a fair wodge of dough , and hand (blunted... incase I drop em) scalpels, torque wrenches, tea, coffee and JD,  and such like, to the surgeons....   as opposed to using any of the local VX dealers.. none of whom i have a great deal of faith in...   (when you have to deal with maintaining a Sintra, you VERY quickly amass a large number of horror stories concerning bloody VX dealers... )

Ditto the Gearbox Flush and refill + filter change scenario.... although i confess I've NEVER heard of anyone organising a party for THAT particular penance....
Omega cambelt is easy enough. Wouldn't like to comment on Sintra until I'd seen it.

Yeah, anyone know of a g/box fluid change party going on, let me know!
Grumpy old man

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 January 2007, 09:47:25 »

Wouldn't like to comment on Sintra until I'd seen it.

just for info...  

it's the same engine....   but mounted transversely...   arguably actually got more space around it's ends than the Omega....  the Sintra being a fair bit wider...

last Change, included the auxiliary drive belt..  cost me £375 inc Vat and Parts , by Hartwells VX stealers in Kidlington...  their labour rate was i think £65 + Vat per hour at the time.

Krypton place was, I think, on the north side of brackley off to the left of the OLD A43 main road heading out of town to the north...   sure I recall a red brick bridge over a disused rail line....  

maybe i AM getting old ???

it's only about 20-23 years ago I used to go there....    ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 January 2007, 10:24:26 »

Wouldn't like to comment on Sintra until I'd seen it.

just for info...  

it's the same engine....   but mounted transversely...   arguably actually got more space around it's ends than the Omega....  the Sintra being a fair bit wider...

last Change, included the auxiliary drive belt..  cost me £375 inc Vat and Parts , by Hartwells VX stealers in Kidlington...  their labour rate was i think £65 + Vat per hour at the time.

Krypton place was, I think, on the north side of brackley off to the left of the OLD A43 main road heading out of town to the north...   sure I recall a red brick bridge over a disused rail line....  

maybe i AM getting old ???

it's only about 20-23 years ago I used to go there....    ;)

I imagine the aux belt tensioner is a pig to remove on the Sintra...

All railway lines ripped up many, many years ago....
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.