Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Track rod ends  (Read 2394 times)

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
Track rod ends
« on: 31 January 2007, 20:14:53 »

Had new wishbones fitted last week but now have a new clunk when squaring up to speed bumps from the left front.  Whilst in the garage today with Water Pump I asked them to check it out.

He now tells me track rod ends are worn and have too much play in them. Sorry, he never noticed before and surprised other fitter that reset the tracking never noticed.

Q. What does this mean in english? Are they easy to change? Are the expensive? Can I do it? Any pics (Markjay)

There's always something.............. :-/
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Track rod ends
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2007, 20:21:47 »

Easy job for a garage. I did a set on my V6 and ended up using some very blue language, but then, your car's a lot newer than mine.

Get them to check the droplinks also if you've got a clunk....

You'd need to get tracking/wheel alignment, or should I say geometry, checked, after installing them anyway.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2007, 20:47:29 »

For clunks - check the droplinks.

Drop links about £10 a side and easy to change (if the nuts come off, mine did).

For track rod ends, probably worth changing the whole assembly each side. That's two ball joints each side and adjuster in the middle. Take it apart and coat the whole thing in copaslip to prevent it seizing in the future. Cost for a facelift:

Genuine:

RH 9193094  ???
LH 9193088  Retail       £92.83 + VAT       Trade £67.21

Autovaux:

£35.95 + VAT each side
£4.95 next day delivery

Fitting:

In theory one nut at each end of the assembly, but they're ball joints so a screw type ball joint splitter is in order.

When fitted your tracking will be miles out, and potentially your steering off centre if the threads weren't even on both sides, so tracking ASAP. Shouldn't affect camber or rear wheels, so just tracking needs to be done.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2007, 21:15:24 »

Jesus this is getting expensive - I assume the tracking I've just had reset will wander due to the excess play and will scrub the tyres.

Q. Is this something the garage should have spotted when changing the wishbones? and is it the same ball joint?

And are the droplinks connected to any of the bits being replaced? (Just thinking of labour charge)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2007, 21:33:37 »

I've done track rod ends (and track rods) on mine. Easy enough if you have a ball joint splitter.

Will need geometry doing afterwards...

Droplinks also easy enough...
Grumpy old man

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2007, 21:36:21 »

I've done track rod ends (and track rods) on mine. Easy enough if you have a ball joint splitter.

Cheers TB - did I read somewhere ages ago that you were looking for a silver door?

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2007, 21:36:48 »

If the track rod ends do have play in them then the tracking will change with the play in the track rod.

Should the garage have spotted play in the track rod ends when doing the wishbones - probably they'd be tugging around right next to the track rod ends. They may even have undone them.

Frankly I'd be a bit suspicious if the sound started immediately after fitting the wishbones. Getting the wishbones in can be a bit of a pig and both the drop links or the track rod ends may have been undone or forced a bit. Not directly the garages fault, but maybe a nut hasn't been tightened properly.

Drop links - 5 min job. Might even be possible without jacking the car or taking the wheel off. Two nuts, one at each end.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2007, 21:38:36 »

If the track rod ends do have play in them then the tracking will change with the play in the track rod.

Should the garage have spotted play in the track rod ends when doing the wishbones - probably they'd be tugging around right next to the track rod ends. They may even have undone them.

Frankly I'd be a bit suspicious if the sound started immediately after fitting the wishbones. Getting the wishbones in can be a bit of a pig and both the drop links or the track rod ends may have been undone or forced a bit. Not directly the garages fault, but maybe a nut hasn't been tightened properly.

Drop links - 5 min job. Might even be possible without jacking the car or taking the wheel off. Two nuts, one at each end.

Thanks Jason - I've seen a pic on Ebay so I understand now.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2007, 21:39:48 »

Cheers TB - did I read somewhere ages ago that you were looking for a silver door?
Yes, a Silver Z147 passenger rear...
Grumpy old man

V6TCR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2007, 21:40:36 »

Had my nearside track rod replaced yesterday to get it through the MOT.  It had been pulling slightly to the left so I knew it needed doing.  If I'd had time I would have had a go myself.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2007, 21:43:50 »

Yes, a Silver Z147 passenger rear...

Close but no cigar - it's a front, but the seller has 3 pages on mega listings and 2 cars so may be worth and ask  :y http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-FRONT-DOOR-STAR-SILVER_W0QQitemZ260078972350QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10404QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem  

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2007, 00:20:58 »

complete track rods are also available from vauxhall spares centre via fleabay here, £35.70 inc. VAT and delivery - if changing the entire track rod, you can remove the old one, set the new one to the same length and install. Probably best to get the tracking checked afterwards anyway though  ::)

... if you don't have a scissor type balljoint splitter, get one. Halfrauds do them - made by laser tools (manufacturer's info here) - retail £16.49, trade £13.19, halfrauds product code 694406 - makes getting the old one out incredibly easy! Plus with this type of splitter, it doesn't damage the balljoint getting it out (unlike the fork type seperators), so you can even re-use the old track rod if it's OK.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2007, 08:28:22 »

complete track rods are also available from vauxhall spares centre via fleabay here, £35.70 inc. VAT and delivery - if changing the entire track rod, you can remove the old one, set the new one to the same length and install. Probably best to get the tracking checked afterwards anyway though  ::)

... if you don't have a scissor type balljoint splitter, get one. Halfrauds do them - made by laser tools (manufacturer's info here) - retail £16.49, trade £13.19, halfrauds product code 694406 - makes getting the old one out incredibly easy! Plus with this type of splitter, it doesn't damage the balljoint getting it out (unlike the fork type seperators), so you can even re-use the old track rod if it's OK.

A fork type may be required to remove inward ball joints, so worth having both types...
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2007, 08:46:21 »

The Ebay track rod ends tend to be for pre-facelift, so care needed.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2007, 15:29:35 »

To test:

Jack the suspect wheel up and grab the tyre at the 3 adn 9 Oclock positions.....wiggle it. If there is play you will get a clonk and shoudl be able to see the play in the track rod end....

I just replace the ends, not the whole lump.....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.