Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: At the end of my teather...  (Read 2590 times)

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
At the end of my teather...
« on: 16 September 2006, 20:33:38 »

...My exhuast manifolds are blowing, the passenger worse than the drivers. I've attempted to remove the heatshields tonight and there's no room to move them. My question is this; Is it possible to tighten the exhuast manifold bolts with the engine in situe? Because i've almost come to the conclusion that it IS impossible and tbh i've had enough of this car, i just want it gone at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: At the end of my teather...
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2006, 21:23:15 »

thoughts Terry are.........engine needs to be moved - note moved not out to do this, i think some have managed it ( Marks DTM) maybe see if he can tell you his secret..,,,,

all the best
Mark
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2006, 07:34:40 »

Manifold blows on the Omega are a pain in the ass and are common. It is possible to access the bolts with the engine in the car, but I would be wary about over-tightening them in case one snaps.

My manifolds are also blowing a bit, but the only thing stopping me changing the gaskets is my concern that I will break a thread off in the head - rather than access.

The heatshield bolts in my experience are dead easy to snap - there may be some benefit in spraying them with WD40 or simelar overnight before attempting to take them off.

The drivers side manifold is quite accessible - moreso than it looks once you remove all the bits and peices around it. Eg the coolant pipe, maybe the header tank.. and get the EGR valve off....

The passenger one, I have only ever done with the head off the engine, however I've heard many a time that it's possible to do this job with the engine in the car, it's just a case of undoing an engine mount or so, getting a satisfyingly big bar, and persuading the engine over while it's removed.

If you are lucky, sometimes when removing it you will take all the studs with you - this can be extremely helpful in removing!

I think, given the top-end rebuild that you did on this car, you should do this job - it's not as bad as it looks once stuck in and you're definately capable!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2006, 07:36:21 »

Note that, once the heatshealds are removed, the bolts seem a lot more accessible and the world seems a better place :D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2006, 10:06:36 »

What gaskets did you use.....the multi layer Vaux metal ones or the cheapo composite ones?

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2006, 10:53:50 »

James and Mark, thanks for your input it's very usefull. I'm just really struggling to find the enthusiasm with this car anymore and i've also been offered quite a nice Corrado VR6 which is definately swaying me towards selling....

I know it must be do-able but i'm not sure if i have the time or energy. Tilting the engine i think is my best option if i do. Looking at it the drivers bank looks like more of an arse than the passenger! But i'm sure you're right, shame really because my passenger bank is the worse one!

I used the Vaux metal one's, the whole HG set was original. I'm sure the bolts have come loose (even though i torqued them correctly), but apparently the bolts have a groove in them where they meet the head and this locks them in place, but they are only useable once  ::)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2006, 14:37:10 »

You're going to go from an Omega to a VW?

Are you feeling ok? :P

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2006, 21:33:47 »

Very fiddly - but possible.

I've replaced my driver's side gasket with the engine in situ and on the passenger side I've removed all but two studs. One rounded off, so I gave up at that point.....

You need to get the heatshields off - which is fiddly in its own right.

It's also blind, but with a selection of 13mm sockets and extensions just about do-able.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2006, 21:34:46 »

Oh - but I didn't get the heatshields out I just shifted them around.

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2006, 21:37:35 »

Stick with it Tezray, remember ' An Omega is for life , not just for christmas ' ;)

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2006, 21:59:56 »

Is your MV6 ex-plod or private?

The ex-plod ones seem to have an appetite for cracking exhaust manifolds which I would think is more likely than failure of new gaskets or loosening if you torqued them up properly in the first place.
Look on the bright side....if youve only recently rebuilt the top end then the manifold nuts should come off without any trouble.

If you do try to fix both sides then remove the complete exhaust in one piece first, you will need a second pair of hands to do this, but it will give better access to the bottom studs.
Support the engine under the sump on a plywood etc spreader, undo both engine mounts and remove the drivers side one completely, you should then be able to move the engine over enough to remove the pass. side manifold. Its still a job done mostly by feel but possible....just.

hth.

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2006, 20:06:08 »

Weeeelll i decided to destroy my hands today and attack the manifold! Managed to get the heatshield off, checked the bolts i could get to and none are loose! And the manifolds feels completely solid! So i started her up, had a feel around the downpipe to manifold joint and hey presto, blowing like there's no tomorrow!

Good news really. So i unbolted it, checked the gasket (which was fine, they're both brand new genuine Vaux one's as well!), bunged some exhuast putty around the joint and tightened it up.....Now i have no blowing  :D

HOWEVER, i have now decided that i still want to sell up and move on. I'm just not enjoying owning her anymore, my monthly fuel bill is a large contributing factor. I've decided to go for either a VW Corrado VR6 or a Toyota Celica gti. I've found a nice Celica for £250 with HG failure and thanks to my Omega HG repair i feel fully confident in repairing her, that's one good thing thats come from my trouble i suppose  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2006, 20:16:38 »

Good luck with whatever car you decide to get :)
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2006, 20:19:27 »

Running costs - you could always take my route - gas the thing - not mmuch power loss and fuel bill halved.

If you can do heads you can do this yourself

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2006, 20:45:35 »

I have considered gas, but i can't justify £1000 on a conversion because i wouldn't cover enough miles. I've also lost my trust in it's reliability after everything that's gone wrong with it, i'm always paranoid about burning smells, shakes through the car, noises, everything!!

I think it's time for a change....and something a bit more sporty  8-)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 September 2006, 09:29:05 »

I know what you mean, although I am happy with my new Omega for now.  The Corrado VR6 is a popular car, but early nineties VW's weren't built all that well.  Toyotas were always built well, so as long as the head is still good you may be onto something there.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.