Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MV6 3.0L rebuild issues  (Read 3341 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: MV6 3.0L rebuild issues
« Reply #15 on: 31 July 2020, 10:39:13 »

For the OP, failing/failed diff mounts are unlikely to be your issue. ;)

When they fail, if you throw the car into a corner, if feels like the back end just fell off, made worse if only one has failed as the weight transfer is highlighted one way... Also worse with estates due to the higher CoG.
Onanists always think outside the box.

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2020, 08:39:54 »

Also the problem seams to be coming from the rear/Diff which makes me think it could be the prop bearing

fitting refurbished diff mounts made my car a lot quieter.

Slightly OT but regarding the above. Did you refurb them yourself? I understand that the mounts are no longer available and that too hard a Poly bush can make noises worse. I think I need to do mine to cure slight rear end rumble and tighten up the rear steering bump steer wandering, so I am interested in any feedback.

Like this:

What is the white goo? Self mixed Polyurethane perhaps? Any links to material sources and properties would be handy. Thanks for all info, it sounds as though that would help to stop the rear end wandering on undulating roads.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2020, 09:15:23 »

That sounds like a shock issue... Diff mount failure doesn't show up under those conditions.

Easily checked. Support (not lift) the diff (gearbox support if using a lift) and remove the mount bolts from the chassis cross rail. If the cage falls off, the mounts need work.  Remove/refit one side at a time. Upto half inch drop with the bolts removed can be considered normal.

I used this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Fast-Cast-Polyurethane-Liquid-Plastic-Casting-Resin-1kg-Kit-/283326020756 to do mine. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2020, 09:21:20 »

Like this:

What is the white goo? Self mixed Polyurethane perhaps? Any links to material sources and properties would be handy. Thanks for all info, it sounds as though that would help to stop the rear end wandering on undulating roads.

It's 2part polyurethane from HERE. 150g of the main component will do a pair of mounts. Don't buy a bigger kit thinking you'll keep it in stock, as they aren't kidding about the six month shelf life! Scales that are accurate to at least a gram are needed, I bought one from Ebay for about £5.

They look a lot better if some black pigment is added; you only need a couple of grams, and it's cheap from the same supplier. They do other colours, but black always looks best - white is the natural colour.

These were done for another forum member, so I put a bit more time into the cleanup, and a squirt of black paint:

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 August 2020, 13:20:18 »

Thanks for all the advice,  I might well give that a go if they are falling apart.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 August 2020, 13:36:58 »

Thanks for all the advice,  I might well give that a go if they are falling apart.

My jig is way over the top, you could make a one-off from a few scraps of ply/thick cardboard and a glue gun. Vaseline works well for mould release.

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2020, 14:26:10 »

My jig is way over the top, you could make a one-off from a few scraps of ply/thick cardboard and a glue gun. Vaseline works well for mould release.
Does the refurbed mount transmit more diff noise to the car? 85 shore PU is quite hard.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2020, 14:36:34 »

Does the refurbed mount transmit more diff noise to the car? 85 shore PU is quite hard.

It got quieter. Actually connected to the car :y

I've fitted lots of polyurethane bushes in all sorts of locations. None of them has ever created more NVH. The main reason I use them is for durability(wishbone front bushes, Capri TCAs, etc) or rebuilds like these diff mounts.

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2020, 14:39:33 »

I've fitted lots of polyurethane bushes in all sorts of locations. None of them has ever created more NVH. The main reason I use them is for durability(wishbone front bushes, Capri TCAs, etc) or rebuilds like these diff mounts.
Thanks for the feedback :y
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2020, 18:16:10 »

Significantly improves the overall driving experience too. Which is nice.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.