Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghost Pump Noise! This will tests a few peoples knowledge  (Read 1583 times)

DeanJ79

• Glasgow, Scotland
    • Omega v6 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile

Would love some answers on this.... After driving through heavy rain and floods a few days ago (no more than I would comfortably drive through) my car has started making a noise a while after I turn the car off (yes off). Sitting in my house car locked keys in my house a strange noice that sounds like a pump starts from under the airbox lower down on driver side (3.0 v6 facelift). Go out to the car turn the ignition on it stops, turn ignition off it starts as soon as I pull the key out??? Start the car then turn off and take the key out it stops all together, but only for a while.

I'm genuinely stumped, could water actually cause this even though the car is completely off, locked etc?

I do have a video but can't seem to attach videos on here.

Would love some help from all you guys :-)

Thanks

Dean

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Pump Noise! This will tests a few peoples knowledge
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2020, 15:42:21 »

Does the car still have its self levelling suspension, and was the  compressor in full working order before this incident? The compressor is situated under the front offside wheel arch quite low down. It only runs intermittantly when the system detects either a heavy load in the rear or if it has lost pressure over time.  I would jack the car up and check from underneath to confirm if it is the compressor running and if so either disconnect the power supply connector plug and check for water ingress in it. If it continues to run, perhaps simply pull the fuse (not sure which one it is) to stop it until you can investigate it further.  The plugs are supposed to be relatively weather proof, but probably not so if you have driven through deep water.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

DeanJ79

• Glasgow, Scotland
    • Omega v6 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2020, 15:52:59 »

Jonny,

great, makes sense. The self levelling has been removed as it has sports suspension now but would make sense that the pump is trying to put more air in. It was supposed to be disconnected but i suppose they could have not done so or if they left the wire in but not connected water could be bridging the gap?

Fuse seems to be a simple fix as if it is that then I don't need it.

Would it defo come on even if the car is off?

Thanks

Dean

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2020, 15:55:21 »

Most fuses on the Omega power more than one circuit.

Better off pulling the relay from the fusebox under the dash. One of the small black ones iirc :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

DeanJ79

• Glasgow, Scotland
    • Omega v6 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2020, 16:00:22 »

Thanks for the help it does seem that the self levelling fuse is only self levelling but I've got the hand book so will check later if it kicks in again. Car icon with arrow up and arrow down?

Cheers

Dean

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2020, 16:05:15 »

Jonny,

great, makes sense. The self levelling has been removed as it has sports suspension now but would make sense that the pump is trying to put more air in. It was supposed to be disconnected but i suppose they could have not done so or if they left the wire in but not connected water could be bridging the gap?

Thanks

Dean

If the self levelling has been removed, it would be unusual not to disconnect or remove the compressor completely. If you dont have the s/l shocks, and the compressor is still connected, surely you would have heard it running continuously as the system would be 'asking' for air all the time.
I'd stick your head under the front end of the f/o/s wheel arch liner to see what, if anything, is still there of the s/l system.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

DeanJ79

• Glasgow, Scotland
    • Omega v6 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2020, 16:13:10 »

I'm wondering if they have literally just unplugged it but left or tapped the connector against the socket half in to keep it safe and its been knocked back in or water is completing the circuit? I have had a look and there is a pump looking thing there gave it a good shake and knock to hopefully dislodge any water and fingers crossed been well over an hour now and nothing  :y

Will keep ya posted and thanks for the help. If anything at least I know it is nothing major or terminal now... time for a beer lol

Cheers

Dean

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2020, 16:14:03 »

Re the OP, why would self levelling pump switch on and off when operating ignition switch?

It sounds more likely that the residual heat system is operating, as it would when the key is switched off, and stop when ignition turned back on. The water pump for this system is under the header tank, so fits the location we're talking about.

Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

DeanJ79

• Glasgow, Scotland
    • Omega v6 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2020, 16:19:06 »

Good shout I will go and have a look at this just now  :y

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2020, 16:22:45 »

RHS won't work when the coolant temperature has dropped below a certain setting, so the system is only effective when the engine is up to temperature or near. 

Think of waiting at a level crossing without keeping the engine running in winter, to use up the warmth of the engine.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 August 2020, 17:12:49 »

Jonny,

Thanks

Dean

If the self levelling has been removed, it would be unusual not to disconnect or remove the compressor completely. If you dont have the s/l shocks, and the compressor is still connected, surely you would have heard it running continuously as the system would be 'asking' for air all the time.
I'd stick your head under the front end of the f/o/s wheel arch liner to see what, if anything, is still there of the s/l system.
Have seen cars where they've literally cut the pipes next to the shocks and pulled the fuse :-X

Stripping the system out completely actually requires effort...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2020, 18:59:13 »

I just unplugged the compressor on mine, as I still think its possible I will reinstate the s/l if I come across a decent pair of shocks at a sensible price.
Unlikely I know, but possible.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

DeanJ79

• Glasgow, Scotland
    • Omega v6 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2020, 20:39:40 »

we have a result! It happened again and i went under the car was the pump right at the bottom below the the air box. Never happened since sl suspension was removed but the water has shorted something. removed the fuse and it stopped instantly :-) When I have more time I will have a better look but for now sorted.

Thanks for all the comments. As always this is a great group to help people seen as I've only had the car since November (bought it of my dad who owned for 14 years)

Thanks to you all and have a great evening :-) I'll feedback any updates

Cheers

Dean  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.