Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking ban in cars....the PC brigade's at it again!!  (Read 8601 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: Smoking ban in cars....the PC brigade's at it again!!
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2011, 12:13:23 »

Personally I feel that if using your phone or drinking coffee at the wheel is not allowed then why should smoking be?

You normally have the ciggy either in your mouth or between your fingers,but it doesnt prevent you from having both hands on the wheel 99% of the time.

yep..

I'm also a smoker..but why on earth they are forbidding something sold freely.. if its that bad, stop producing tobaccos and dont sell it.. ;D

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2011, 12:14:06 »

I Dont smoke, but dont have a problem with it either, and do enjoy a cigar now and again (read 2-3 a year tops)

What worries me is the increased road rage from those addicted to their nicotine fix....Wont be pleasant on the road with 'a lot of deprived addicts' about behind the wheel - and no offence intended at all to any smokers in that statement.

You've got a good point there James. Although I don't get uptight if I don't have a smoke, I'm sure there would very likely be a lot more incidents of road rage. You only have to look at the number of incidents where people still try and light up on aircraft despite the long standing ban.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2011, 12:14:58 »

Personally I feel that if using your phone or drinking coffee at the wheel is not allowed then why should smoking be?

I personally do not do either of those thing Matt, but I don't find smoking a distraction when driving. I think sneezing while driving is probably more of a distraction and has been known to cause accidents, so are they going to ban that?!! Where do you draw the line? I think good old common sense needs to be used rather than bullying tactics. ::)

Maybe so in your experience but I know of many people who have nearly crashed because they dropped the cigarette or part of the hot ash fell in their lap.

Plus it gets on my tits when I see people just chucking them out of their car window.  They are not biodegradable.

albitz

« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2011, 12:16:25 »

I personally do not do either of those thing Matt, but I don't find smoking a distraction when driving. I think sneezing while driving is probably more of a distraction and has been known to cause accidents, so are they going to ban that?!! Where do you draw the line? I think good old common sense needs to be used rather than bullying tactics. ::)

Maybe so in your experience but I know of many people who have nearly crashed because they dropped the cigarette or part of the hot ash fell in their lap.

Plus it gets on my tits when I see people just chucking them out of their car window.  They are not biodegradable.

Agreed.Its lethal if someone is behind on a motorbike or bicycle. :y

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 November 2011, 12:17:26 »

You normally have the ciggy either in your mouth or between your fingers,but it doesnt prevent you from having both hands on the wheel 99% of the time.

yep..

I'm also a smoker..but why on earth they are forbidding something sold freely.. if its that bad, stop producing tobaccos and dont sell it.. ;D

That's easy to answer Cem, they would lose £millions in lost revenue on tobacco duty!

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 16 November 2011, 12:18:18 »

Its little to do with health,and everything to do with control. The Tories should have been well into the process of dismantling the apparatus of this semi fascist state by now. >:(

I don't think the EU judges will let them: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2062029/Dont-push-luck-judge-tells-Euro-court-new-rights-showdown.html

But we're all going to be speaking German soon, anyway: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2062015/Eurozone-crisis-Merkel-ally-says-UK-fall-line-oppose-Tobin-tax.html

(Sorry, I can't resist stirring the pot with a bit of wholly biased media.. ;D)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 November 2011, 12:20:52 »

Enjoyed my last gasper in 1980. My last pack (Gold Leaf) cost 51p for twenty. Smoking in cars is fine. However, I'm Not sure it's a good idea to do it with small kids present, and all the windows closed.  ;)

As a small kid in the sixties, I can well remember my teacher (Mr Evans the bastard) would smoke almost continually/continuously whilst teaching us.

We thought nothing of it... :)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 November 2011, 12:21:44 »

Nor is a the huge amount of rubbish discarded daily by most of the population! ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 November 2011, 12:25:07 »

I note the media are miss reporting this one again as the initial proposal is to ban smoking in cars when carrying minors......which to me is no bad thing.

There is then a further arguement for the future I guess to look for a total ban in the future.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #24 on: 16 November 2011, 12:25:37 »

yep..

That's easy to answer Cem, they would lose £millions in lost revenue on tobacco duty!

yes.. taxes for govt.. and the main profit goes to tobacco companies and some % to some.. capitalism.. ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 November 2011, 12:28:11 »

If you could trust the driver of the car to not smoke in the presence on non smokers then fair enough but most smokers couldn't give a toss what effect they have on the people around them  >:(

If they want to kill themselfs off quicker, thats up to them.
Just don't poison the people around you  ;)

So I say ban it   :y

I'm a ex smoker of 15 years who stopped instantly after watching a family member rot away with lung cancer  :(

cleggy

« Reply #26 on: 16 November 2011, 12:32:34 »

FACIST NANNY STATE >:( >:( >:( When will they do something useful, next you know we will not be able to have a say on Europe. ;D

I am an ex smoker, I wish that I'd never started the dirty disgusting habit, but it was my choice. I don't agree with banning it in pubs a smoke room was perfectly acceptable for those to enjoy a fag with their pint. Now to get a pint I have to walk through a disgusting fog just to get into the boozer, and don't tell me the ban didn't affect the business.
If people come to my house socially they are at liberty to smoke indoors, not be sent outside to the naughty step. However it's a no no in my car because of the confined enviroment.They can do what they want in theirs, dogging if that floats their boat, 'Sorry sir that lady appears to be smoking a cigar in you car!!. ;D ;D

I can't agree to smoking around children their health is more important. :y

The road rage is a very valid point, and despite the fact that alcohol was blamed for a rise in air rage following the airlines banning smoking it was nicotine withdrawal. We flew to the Canaries, and after 5 hours without a fag I was homicdal at the smallest irritation.

They can't stop mobile phone use which is a dangerous distraction so how the hell are the police going to enforce this one, have they now't better to do?

Bloody barmey, and when tabacco is finally reduced to the status of a class A drug just what will they tax to replace the vast revenues the exchequer gets from smokers. >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 16 November 2011, 12:39:55 by cleggy »

Martin_1962

« Reply #27 on: 16 November 2011, 12:32:44 »

A few views on this

Chucking fag ash and fag ends out of windows should carry the death sentence, carried out by bikers hit in the eyes by this shit.

Sorry but losing vision at the top of Haldon Hill on those bends is no laughing matter. I was lucking there was noone behind me when I emergency stopped in the middle of the dual carriageway.

As to in cars - no children and keep the window closed as it can still get past my pollen filter.

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 November 2011, 12:35:07 »

59 pubs ae closing a month. 24000 jobs gone so far and a loss of 6billion in revenue a yr. because the non smokers of which about 90 percent wanted smoking banned from pubs don't even go to  pubs

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 November 2011, 12:40:06 »

I thought this issue might open a can of worms but this thread is about potentially banning smoking in your car, not a slanging match between smokers and non-smokers. Lets keep it friendly and on subject. :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.