Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: water flush when to stop  (Read 585 times)

bibbot

• sutton sm39n
    • View Profile
water flush when to stop
« on: 01 June 2008, 13:42:39 »

After an oil cooler replacement I have been flushing the water day & night.

The sample water taken from the drain plug & from the small top pipe from the rad is clear of oil but the water is cloudy, the water in the header tank tends to be a small amount of oil but it was imposable to completely clean the tank out.
Will I have to get the water completely clear be for putting the coolant liquid in.

Imp trying to get the car ready to go to Wales for next Saturday ( fingers crossed a long way for a test run) so imp not going to use VX oil or coolant I want to get it all done to day. Which oil & coolant would anyone recommend that I can get from?
Hal fords.

Thank  all

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: water flush when to stop
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2008, 15:36:36 »

Have you flushed it with some detergent or similar?

If not, I'd get some traffic film remover and flush it with that then fill it with some cheap Halfords coolant and make a mental note to replace this when it's got a few miles on it just to get the last bits out.

A semi-synth 10w40 oil will be fine. Halfords own is OK.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

saintnick

• Portsmouth Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2008, 18:08:41 »

If you can, get hold of some swarfega oil and grease remover from halfords, it disolves oil and is perfect for cooling systems, just fill with water and coolant (cheap) then just before it fils up add the swarfega degreaser then run for a while, drain and refil with 50-50 mix of coolant and water job done. ive used it twice now with no trouble.

HTH
If It aint broke....Lets just dismantle it anyway!

bibbot

• sutton sm39n
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2008, 18:48:10 »

thank for the good advice .but bad news i have a leak dripping from the bell housing will have to investigate :-[
thanks

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2008, 20:29:04 »

hi mate low foam washing detergant, about 1/2 litre in to the cooling system take it down the A3 to guidford and back and drain and flush, refill withe another 1/2 litre then do the same and see how clean the system is. your can also disconnect the coolant hoses next to the driverside manifold where the enter the  heater matrix and flush with a hose back and forth. As to the header tank and getting all the crap out you cant as it collects in the little camber. I waited till the system was clear and then replaced it with a new one.
Gary. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.