Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aircon causing fuse to go with loss of instruments  (Read 1154 times)

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
Aircon causing fuse to go with loss of instruments
« on: 18 March 2007, 09:39:46 »

I have recently bought a 2.5TD 1999 GLS. Well chuffed as it was only a grand due to a known fault I have since repaired at minimal expense. :)

However, when driving home the other day it was a warm day and I decided to turn on the aircon.
The aircon light came on, but within seconds there was an audible click and I had total loss of instruments (speedo, rev counter, fuel guage etc) However, car continued to run okay and started up okay despite no lights at all on dash.  :(

I had previously checked the aircon at standstill and it appeared to work although it probably needed regassing. :)

I checked the fuses and found that a 20A had blown. On replacement, I had instruments again. I turned on the aircon whilst stationary and it appeared to work. However, when I moved the car forward to check speedo operation the fuse blew again.

Anyone got any ideas? :question

Also, the radio cassette has gone into safe mode due to the power outage. I have the original code on the credit card printout which came with the car at new but it wont accept it. Do I really need to take it to the $tealers to get sound back? :question

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Aircon causing fuse to go with loss of instrum
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2007, 11:08:15 »

I have recently bought a 2.5TD 1999 GLS. Well chuffed as it was only a grand due to a known fault I have since repaired at minimal expense. :)

However, when driving home the other day it was a warm day and I decided to turn on the aircon.
The aircon light came on, but within seconds there was an audible click and I had total loss of instruments (speedo, rev counter, fuel guage etc) However, car continued to run okay and started up okay despite no lights at all on dash.  :(

I had previously checked the aircon at standstill and it appeared to work although it probably needed regassing. :)

I checked the fuses and found that a 20A had blown. On replacement, I had instruments again. I turned on the aircon whilst stationary and it appeared to work. However, when I moved the car forward to check speedo operation the fuse blew again.

Anyone got any ideas? :question

Also, the radio cassette has gone into safe mode due to the power outage. I have the original code on the credit card printout which came with the car at new but it wont accept it. Do I really need to take it to the $tealers to get sound back? :question
Can't think why anything aircon related would take out the instruments. Do you have fuse number that failed?

It is possible its not original radio - what radio is it.  GLS tended to have really basic radios like CAR400
Grumpy old man

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2007, 12:41:38 »

Hi there 'The Boy'. Thanks for taking an interest. Fuse number is 15. I haven't dared trying the aircon again in motion since everything is now okay.

As for the radio,...., I'm a dork! I was trying to enter the wrong code from the credit card passport that came with the car. I was trying to enter the car security code. If I had looked a bit further down the card I would have seen the radio code. Anyway, display shows I have 7 attempts left but is not allowing me to enter the code due to the security time delay. I'll have another go when I go on a long run and can safely leave the radio on to get over the delay.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2007, 08:25:51 »

The only thing I can think of is a problem with the compressor. Does it move freely enough?
The Administrator.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2007, 11:05:45 »

The only thing I can think of is a problem with the compressor. Does it move freely enough?
Compressor is not electrical, belt driven.  Not sure if clutch on it is electrical...
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2007, 11:30:34 »

That was my thinking, the clutch, apologies for not making that clear  :-[

An electrically driven air con compressor would put rather a strain on the system!  ;)
The Administrator.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2007, 18:34:26 »

What am I looking for folks? Everything looks a bit buried! :-?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2007, 19:13:40 »

Sorry, currently struggling to find wiring diagrams for earlier cars - only got the later electronic ones to hand for 2002/2003. My book of lies has them, but I've lent that out.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2007, 19:29:32 »

I've just been trawling the book of lies and F15 feeds all manner of stuff. Nightmare! I can see it would take out practically the whole car in one respect or another!

It does feed 2 items that are perhaps air con related.

K146 -Relay - delayed blower start
K34 - Relay - radiaor blower with time delay

No idea where these are or what they do but they may be related to the way the air con system controls the heater blower or the radiator fans. In both cases this fuse is feeding the control side of the relay, not the load, so I guess it would be the relay itself that is suspect, and an unusual fault.

K34 may well be in  the engine compartment fuse box as some other cooling fan related relays are in there. I would imagine K146 would be in the passenger fuse box or near the blower motor / resistor pack.

This fuse doesn't feed the air con compressor clutch directly, or any other parts of the system as far as I can see.

Hope this helps and good luck. I have a feeling you might need it!

You might want to try it and see how long it takes the fuse to blow after the air con is switched on. One of the time delays is marked as 2min. The other doesn't say :-( Could also be it needs to get up to temperature and trip the pressure switch to start the fans.

Cheers,

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2007, 19:51:46 »

I still think its worth checking a/c fan on rad...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2007, 20:24:27 »

It does sound like air con fan - it is a big power drain and if it stuck well
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.