Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Query re breather box  (Read 1401 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Query re breather box
« on: 08 April 2007, 14:37:09 »

I am bit confused due to the fact that the pictures are missing from RonaldMcBurger's breather box cleaning maintenance guide - as far as I understand I need to clean the inside of the flat plastic chamber under the Ecotec logo, and the pipes leading to it from behind the engine, but not the actual metal box that is stuck on the back of the engine?

Thanks....

« Last Edit: 08 April 2007, 14:37:58 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
Re: Query re breather box
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2007, 20:08:32 »

you need to remove the ecotec clip-on cover, there is a torx bolt underneath, once you have removed the pipes from the back of this part it can be hinged up from the end where these pipes connect. Once it's up high enough so that the part in the middle clears the hole in the chamber cover, you should then be able to pull it out of the short bit that is fixed to the chamber cover (if that makes sense!!). This needs carb cleaner sprayed through all 4 pipes until they run clear (they exit from holes in the little bit that sticks out of the bottom).

Then the breather box needs cleaning as per Ron's guide ... it's easiest to remove the big pipe that splits in two completely and clean that seperately.

When refitting the plastic bit to the chamber cover, be very careful as the top-hat shaped seal can get cut when you push the plastic part into place if it's not far back enough (been there - done that), resulting in an air leak - you'll recognise the sound on startup if you do!!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2007, 21:28:31 »

Many thanks - done that, far easier with the plenum off though (I am doing the camcovers anyway), cleared the flat black box with the 4 tubes in it (2 hours and it's not perfectly clean - how much is a new one?), cleared the 'branch' rubber hose and the thin rubber hose (again, same time and same result - if it wasn't a Sunday I'd just get new ones from the local Vx) - but my question is do I need to actually take-off and clean the metal box at the back of the engine where the 'branch' rubber hose goes? I seem to understand from Ronnie's guide that the box does not need to come off, e.g. it is not getting cleaned, and anyway I don't really see how it can be taken off....

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2007, 21:45:09 »

Many thanks - done that, far easier with the plenum off though (I am doing the camcovers anyway), cleared the flat black box with the 4 tubes in it (2 hours and it's not perfectly clean - how much is a new one?), cleared the 'branch' rubber hose and the thin rubber hose (again, same time and same result - if it wasn't a Sunday I'd just get new ones from the local Vx) - but my question is do I need to actually take-off and clean the metal box at the back of the engine where the 'branch' rubber hose goes? I seem to understand from Ronnie's guide that the box does not need to come off, e.g. it is not getting cleaned, and anyway I don't really see how it can be taken off....

The metal breather box that the 2 pipes go to does not need to come off, just the big hole cleaned, and little hole cleared with pin (don't insert too far - there is a diaphram below it).

The plastic 'ecotec' breather box needs to come off.
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2007, 21:47:28 »

The metal breather box that the 2 pipes go to does not need to come off, just the big hole cleaned, and little hole cleared with pin (don't insert too far - there is a diaphram below it).

The plastic 'ecotec' breather box needs to come off.

Phew... thanks! A bit late for the diaphragm warning though  :(, hopefully I did not damage it...

Alas, no more Omegas....

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2007, 22:55:03 »

This is one i split open with Uncle Stanley after i couldn't get it clean.  Just to give you an idea of what the internals look like
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2007, 23:11:09 »

It can't be cleaned... it should be called  'unblocking the breather box' rather than 'cleaning the breather box'... I spent several hours pouring and spraying stuff down the pipes, form carb cleaner to brake cleaner to finally just 97 petrol - and pushed cotton swabs and pieces of cloth and what have you - and scrapped the inside with a long screwdriver - and yet just before putting them back on I stuck a screwdriver into one and it still came out with some brown mud... if it wasn't a bank holiday I'd get a new one from Vx and that's it. Also the branched pipe behind the plenum. The front bit of the breather box wasn't too bad to clean though as you can push stuff right through it (in spite of the mild curve). The maintenance guide was a great help though. Anyone knows how much is a new breather box from Vx?

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2007, 23:11:51 »

PS - very good pic, thank!  :y
Alas, no more Omegas....

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2007, 10:27:29 »

To be honest, I think that when I do mine, I will just get new parts and bung them on.  Don't know if they are on TC or not but even if not, it saves all that fiddling about with carb cleaner.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2007, 10:47:54 »

It will clean given time and patience.  Try soaking the thing.  I couldn't get one of the small holes in the centre thingy to clear.  Didn't realise the passageway curved.  If you carefully split it with a stanly knife, i reckon it ought to super glue back together ok
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.