Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing/upgrading MID  (Read 3326 times)

Sir Sideways

• Intermediate Member
  • Sideways in Staffordshire
    • PFL 3.0 Auto Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Replacing/upgrading MID
« on: 11 November 2015, 21:18:41 »

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

My MID is unreadable, missing pixels etc. After removing it and opening it (to attempt the repair it using the guide), I found that the ribbon has a split in it where it joins the PCB. At very least it needs replacing with the same or upgrading preferably with the CCRT display or the better MID.

Heres a pic of mine I took when I had it out

Would it be possible to upgrade to the CCRT display? would it be any different to changing to the other single MID type?

From reading other posts id need the plug with as much length of wire as poss, anything else?

Thanks in advance

Jim

05omegav6

Re: Replacing/upgrading MID
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2015, 21:25:17 »

Your best bet will be like for like :y

Sir Sideways

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2015, 21:29:21 »

Thing is finding a good one with all pixels that will last. but, if theres too much work involved then I will settle for like for like.

Ill wait till I know what works involved before admitting defeat lol

Thanks for the reply

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2015, 21:34:54 »

Thing is finding a good one with all pixels that will last. but, if theres too much work involved then I will settle for like for like.

Ill wait till I know what works involved before admitting defeat lol

Thanks for the reply
The reason I say that is that the guide was written with facelift in mind, ie that's the car I did it on... CCRT display is only CCRT compatible and will probably involve alot of wiring/swapping looms.

If you have a Haynes manual and are any good with a wiring diagram it might be possible to retro fit a later MID with a single plug :-\ my guide could prove to be a useful reference used with Haynes for this :y cannot guarantee that it will work though, so on your head be it :y

Sir Sideways

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2015, 21:50:35 »

And on that note ill just stick to the like for like option.

Ive upgraded the standard head unit + screen to full satnav in a Vectra C before and that included rewiring the plug and adding a couple of extra wires but to be honest I don't fancy going that far again just to have a different MID so, ill be on the look for a replacement.

Thanks very much for the help  :y

Jim

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2015, 23:11:35 »

I would recommend upgrading to the later one grey plug style mid. They dont suffer pixel issues. The yellow/black plug ones are useless. I even bought a new mid for silly money from Opel of the one in your picture. Lasted just over two years before the pixels started to fail again. Bought a second hand grey plug mid and plug and rewired following help from this forum and the haynes book. Be aware though that Opel/vauxhall changed the fuel range readings late 1995 so if your car is older you will also need to change the float in the tank and the circuit foil on the back of the instrument to get the fuel range right. If your speedo is divided in 10km/h intervalls you getaway with just changing mid. If you got the old speedo with 5 km/h lines you must also change instrument(foil) and float. On Opel anyway. Guessing vauxhall is similar although you probably read mp/h. Some work involved but you will then have a mid that lasts. And it got two more functions than the old one. A very wortwhile upgrade in my opinion:)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2015, 09:25:42 »

My idea for repairing/replacing mine is to use a broken, dead-pixel early MID and break it up, to use the sockets as part of an 'adapter loom', which, when combined it with a scrap of loom from a MFL-onward car this avoids actually chopping into my car's loom (plenty of that's been done already, no more)

That way I spend hours and hours sitting in my living room soldering, rather than hours and hours scrunched up in my car's interior with the dials and heater vents out. Therefore should be a simple plug-n-play 5 minute job... if it doesn't work, simply pop the old duff-pixelled MID back in, and try again.. sat comfy indoors drinking tea.

Hope that makes sense.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2015, 10:54:57 »

I seem to recall having a grey connector mid somewhere......will have to have a look

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2015, 11:25:25 »

To the OP - just so you know, any MFL-onward MID can be configured/reprogrammed (with Tech2, and Marks DTM is one of those knowledgeable chaps who can do this for you) to your car. However, if you're lucky, if you get a car of the same engine and gearbox, then no tech2-ing is required.

ie: after wiring adaptations (which you'd be doing anyway) a 2000-reg 2.5V6 Auto MID can fit in a 1994 2.5V6 Auto car.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Sir Sideways

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2015, 15:08:51 »

If I were to go for the later grey plug mid, do I just combine my 2 plugs into the grey? if so that's not too bad, but defo more interested in doing what DBG says about makin an adaptor loom

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2015, 15:30:03 »

I need to learn how to read wiring diagrams and solder first  :y

But yes, I'm sure the later MIDs get combined into one plug. One guy on here has done it, hopefully he sees this thread and offers his wisdom  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2015, 18:51:01 »

I suspect my impressive selection of Omega displays must have melted, as none have landed yet  :'(
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 November 2015, 18:58:16 »

I need to learn how to read wiring diagrams and solder first  :y

But yes, I'm sure the later MIDs get combined into one plug. One guy on here has done it, hopefully he sees this thread and offers his wisdom  :y

piece of piddle mate... if I can do it, and all that  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 November 2015, 21:48:42 »

Tank characteristics cannot be programmed however. If op has a 1994 omega he will get the wrong range signal if he dont change fuel sender and instrument print plate. I may be wrong, but i am fairly confident about this.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2015, 09:27:49 »

Inclined to agree with you there. Luckily the senders should/must be a very easy part to get hold of for Omegas, as far as I'm aware they're al the same from 95-96 onwards, or thereabouts.

Also, Webby, appreciate your faith in me  :y

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.