Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help - 3.0 V6 Overheating ......  (Read 573 times)

I_want_an_Omega

Help - 3.0 V6 Overheating ......
« on: 23 April 2010, 21:43:00 »

I've been dumb and bought a Mig miles from home. Car was described as overheating on egay, was in the area for work so went to view it.

'99 3.0 Elite with 75k miles.  Oil cooler changed a year or so ago, and little miles driven, also heater had stopped blowing hot air.

Blocked rad methinks, finallyfrom debris from oil cooler failure - and as I had a spare rad I bought the car!

Went down there today with car full of tools and spare rad. Manged to wash out masses of crud from rad (until water ran clear) and also all other pipes. Refilled with water to flush system out and ran up to temp - heater works fine now, so took it out for short drive & temp went off end of scale!  :(

Water is boiling inside block, rad now gets hot (not very hot though), and big hose near battery gets very hot and looks as if it has suction @ the rad end.

So, on the basis that there aint much more left of the cooling system, is the thermostat jammed shut? There is no water in oil or oil in water so I'm thinking it isn't a HG failure. Iv'e looked @ the maint guide and it looks a daunting thing to change!

Any ideas please folks?

Thanks ......... Rob

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Help - 3.0 V6 Overheating ......
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2010, 21:58:22 »

I would guess that the rad is blocked again.....due to the gunk in the block clogging it up again

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2010, 22:01:40 »

Don't see how, as drained and refilled again (obviously after cooling) and the water runs clear when drained and when it boils in the header tank .........

Dont thermostats jam shut as well as open?

I'm confused

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2010, 22:07:15 »

Never seen one jam shut, thats why they have the extra springs so they fail safe.

I have had some where they have clogged the rad 3 times despite full flushing...

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2010, 22:19:23 »

what direction does the water flow? Does it enter the rad @ the top near the battery and exit into the metal pipe near the aux belt tensioner, or in the opposite direction?

The end of the hose near the battery is sucked in, as if there is lower pressure inside the hose than outside - which is the opposite to what I was expecting.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2010, 22:27:20 »

Enters via the battery.....also be very aware that the oil in the water will make the pipes mega soft

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2010, 22:28:23 »

what direction does the water flow? Does it enter the rad @ the top near the battery and exit into the metal pipe near the aux belt tensioner, or in the opposite direction?

The end of the hose near the battery is sucked in, as if there is lower pressure inside the hose than outside - which is the opposite to what I was expecting.

If stat is shut then you will get that hose try to collapse....soften it with oil and it will collapse....and the stat might well stay shut if there is no water near it.....

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2010, 22:33:53 »

Fair point, so the "suction" could well be normal. They feel ok actually. Its only sucked it at the point just before it joins the rad for a length of about 2 inches, the rest of the length is fine.

The only one which has gone soft (and split) is the one from the SAI inlet pipe - but thats quite common I understand.

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2010, 22:43:11 »

Enters via the battery.....also be very aware that the oil in the water will make the pipes mega soft

Is that enter the rad or enter the block? I'm assuming you mean it is entering the rad at that point.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2010, 08:17:17 »

Is that enter the rad or enter the block? I'm assuming you mean it is entering the rad at that point.

yes

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2010, 08:38:28 »

In which case I'm even more confused as if the water is entering the rad there and the hose was weak then I would have expected it to have swollen out rather than have been sucked in ..........

What symptoms would HG failure have, am I barking down the wrong tree with the rad and stat completely?

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2010, 09:12:56 »

If you have another radiator that you know is clear fit it Rob, also change that pipe  near the battery. I have seen a thermostat which was stuck shut on an Omega which was also a facelift 2.5 the temperature was fine until he stopped then up it would go
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2010, 10:21:00 »

This car will be beamed to Stoke for Daz's TLC.

I'll report back on what the outcome was.

Thanks all
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.