Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S/L estate rear shocks.. Grease or not to grease???  (Read 1260 times)

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • 99,3.0 MV6 Est Ex Police
    • View Profile
S/L estate rear shocks.. Grease or not to grease???
« on: 07 February 2012, 00:01:36 »

Hi all after a month of looking ive got a 2nd hand pair of 2year old s/l estate shocks

now the question....

as normal the area where the airbag sits over the shocker is corroded... (even after 2years!)
ive rubbed it down treated it with rust eater primed & repainted shockers...

ah now the question is... shall i put any LM grease,copperslip,spray silicon etc on the shocker area where the airbag covers the shocker to stop water corroding them again???

or any other suggestions???
a sterring gator maybe??

as the reason why ive had to replace them is because the old set had corroded that much under the airbag area, that the corrosion on 1 lifted the seal & started leaking fluid and the 2nd... the rust chaffed & burst the airbag...
so ide just ike this pair to last longer

oh and also advise others with s/l shocks of this rusting issue before theres start leaking etc....

advise asap as fitting them tomorrow afternoon!!!

feeutfo

Re: S/L estate rear shocks.. Grease or not to grease???
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2012, 01:29:12 »

Yeah they do that. I wouldn't use petro chemical based products in case the air bladders are not oil proof. So silicon based grease I guess, if paint is not an option?

My reservation with sticky grease type products is the dust and grit that will inevitably stick and build up under there. Hopefully nothing sharp to puncture the bladder :-\

I presume binning self levelling altogether is not an option? They are fairly poor as far as suspension goes tbh.

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2012, 02:27:11 »

Yeah they do that. I wouldn't use petro chemical based products in case the air bladders are not oil proof. So silicon based grease I guess, if paint is not an option?

My reservation with sticky grease type products is the dust and grit that will inevitably stick and build up under there. Hopefully nothing sharp to puncture the bladder :-\

I presume binning self levelling altogether is not an option? They are fairly poor as far as suspension goes tbh.

Hi,
im fitting a full coilover setup in march when supplyer has them back in stock, as my car is lowered 35mm on front & aprox 65mm on rear only 4" off the deck on towbar!! i need to give it a lift up by refitting the s/l shocks for work use with tools in the boot, until the Heavy duty coilover kit turns up as she is used as a drift car too some weekends so i can lower her down on c spanner  :y

This s/l re jig is an experiment to see if by altering the sensor on rear wishbone it will keep ridehight level & with tools in boot also sit level?? this i will find out tomorrow.... as my last pair lifted the car up & up until springs fell out & then both shocks went bang 1 on bladder other on the shock tube... but was unable to alter the hight adjustment.... this time im going to use a switch in the fuse holder & lift the rear shocks slowly to hight i want so fingers crossed....

so a teflon/silicon motorscycle chain lube would work ok as it isnt sticky but keeps out moisture...??

anyways im waffling on like normal.... i see what you mean tho last thing i want is a piece of sharp grit stone etc stickiing to bladder & been drawn up inside puncturing it didnt think of that  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2012, 10:43:38 »

Sounds like a dodgy sensor to me...?

You should able to set the position of the sensor arm to give the ride hight you want. If not, the sensor in your case sounds like its not registering correctly.

Ideally set the sensor with the natural unloaded ride hight if the springs.

And I don't suppose there is any point mentioning that 65 mill drop is too low...? If you hit a bump big enough, or take off a bump, so the rear suspension tops out, the springs will fall out while your driving it!

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2012, 12:00:35 »

Sounds like a dodgy sensor to me...?

You should able to set the position of the sensor arm to give the ride hight you want. If not, the sensor in your case sounds like its not registering correctly.

Ideally set the sensor with the natural unloaded ride hight if the springs.

And I don't suppose there is any point mentioning that 65 mill drop is too low...? If you hit a bump big enough, or take off a bump, so the rear suspension tops out, the springs will fall out while your driving it!

already know its too low mate, when i boot it the center boxes smack cats eyes on overtakeing!! they are a full set of irmscher springs off another omega & should only be a 30mm drop but they sit way lower!! think they are car not estate springs...
the car was not on mv6 setup but police HD springs/S/L shocks & i had over 4" of clearance above tyres on rear & didnt move when loaded up so car, car felt on cornering like it wanted to throw its self off the road due to center gravity been so high...
so i removed the H/D rear springs that were well & truely wedged in even with the shocker off... i fitted the irmscher springs & car sat lovely & level.. then i put fuse back in & because the wishbones were flat so to speak the S/L system thort the car was very low so tryed to lift its self back to the police settings this i didnt realise at the time....
as i "thort" the car monitored front & rear ride hight... nope just the rear... but by then was too late... for the last 3weeks ive been running on frontera v6 front dampers with modifyed eyelets to make bolts fit so i had a shortened damper that would work...
but as springs were softish guessing as they were about 15years ish old (off a 95N elite) they have lost there tension...
so when loaded up rear sinks with only 2" clearance to bumpstops..... & they hit on slightest bump!

ive contacted every company i can think of but only bilstein make a shortened rear shocker for an estate.. but 7companys make sports/lowered springs but no shockers to suit?? work that out...??

so it was eibache&bilstein (B12 kit) for £618 but no adjustment thats it... 30mm all round...

Or coilovers from Ni coilovers in ireland for £400 fully adjustable from 20mm-120mm with a heavy duty rear spring for loads upto 1360kg from standard 1060kg they would normally supply...

so atmo the s/l rear shocks are an experiment before i put a hole or 2 in my mid pipes & center boxes on rather speed bumps!
the car is fine unloaded but need that bit extra lift when its loaded up with tools or 3ppl in back seat...

Hope i havent confused you too much....??

& i calnt refit the police rear springs (tryed too much tenshion) & the front is lowered & car would be worse to drive & look like a drag racing funny car  :o

& no body has or is braking a mv6 estate for last month that i could use springs off etc

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2012, 16:23:20 »

As I understand it, the entire Bilstein  range will take a 30mill drop.

I'm currently running B4's and irmscher springs all round. As you say it's fine until loaded, then sits too low with a full boot. LPG tank does add a fair bit of sag to the rear end too.

There is a theory that air bags in the rear springs will work.

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2012, 17:46:59 »

As I understand it, the entire Bilstein  range will take a 30mill drop.

I'm currently running B4's and irmscher springs all round. As you say it's fine until loaded, then sits too low with a full boot. LPG tank does add a fair bit of sag to the rear end too.

There is a theory that air bags in the rear springs will work.

already did that mate.. i fitted an old pair of airmatic balls i think they were called....?
look like a punctured kids football with a tyre valve glued to the side...
i fitted them inside springs & pumped them up to the 30psi required They worked ACE!!!! & with the extension shradder valve pipes i was able to deflate them when not needed.... all working well until the 25year old airballs punctured around the valve due to age & perishing so now im back to square 1 again but yes airbags do work mate

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2012, 18:11:43 »

What about a pair of Monroe ride levellers,they come with all the pipework and a gauge and you can adjust them with a foot pump,I've just fitted a set to the rear of my 406 saloon and they seem to work very well.
They do a set for the Omega estate as I made enquiries when one of my originals went pop,my plan was to plumb them into the original self levelling set up but in the end I just bought new GM shocks as I wasn't sure if the monroe's would work with the OE set up.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2012, 18:25:33 »

What about a pair of Monroe ride levellers,they come with all the pipework and a gauge and you can adjust them with a foot pump,I've just fitted a set to the rear of my 406 saloon and they seem to work very well.
They do a set for the Omega estate as I made enquiries when one of my originals went pop,my plan was to plumb them into the original self levelling set up but in the end I just bought new GM shocks as I wasn't sure if the monroe's would work with the OE set up.

Ive bought a set of them too but they will only work on a totally standard car at standard ride hight will not work on a drop of any kind as they bottom out!! trust me tryed it & monroe say they are not designed to fit a MV6 even with its 20mm standard drop...

at the moment ive been running BMW E46 rear springs as i found out both rear irmscher springs last weekend had split the pigtails off both of them ive fitted a pair of rubber donuts/assisters to springs to bring car up the extra 1" & after ive drunk this cupper T going back outside to fit the S/L rear shocks back on & adjust the sensor hopefully it will all work...

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2012, 20:02:11 »

http://mad-suspension.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=3
Taken from this thread, from Cliffo B

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1314483767/0

yep thoes are the new style ones but only issue is the air valve is top/bottom of the airbag so you will need to drill a hole threw the bottom wishbone for the airpipes or the chassis above spring... im looking for a set of american double donut airbags so i can remove springs compleatly but if the coilovers do the job with higher poundage rear springs i wont need them...
the new springs are 200kgs better so they will take the extra 200kgs of load i carry before they effect ridehight or something like that....
theyve asured me they will work as manufacturer has listened to my quiery & making progressive springs to suit  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.