Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAJOR electrical problem  (Read 1002 times)

ViaraiX

• Rochester, Kent
    • View Profile
MAJOR electrical problem
« on: 20 September 2009, 21:51:52 »

My omega has just had a major electical failure.

Was driving home and stereo went off a few times then came back on. Then got 2 minutes from home (luckily) and stereo went off again but didnt come back on, looked down and the dash lights where off (trip computer was still lit up) then noticed smoke bellowing from the airbag.

Something has definately burnt out (smoke was a small hint) stinks of burnt plastic.

Weird thing is everything minus dash lights & stereo still works (windows, lights, locking, etc...)

Is it likely loom has burnt out? or is there a ray of hope before I take a can of petrol to it and finish the job?

Pete Elite

• Omega Knight
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
    • View Profile
Re: MAJOR electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2009, 23:25:42 »

From the sounds of that i would if not confident with electrics get a sparks to have a proper look for piece of mind :o.

ViaraiX

• Rochester, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2009, 16:57:11 »

Well it turned out not to be too major

The radio loom plugs into another loom which disapears into the car then it plugs into the radio, it was this loom inbetween which had cooked

The live wire was practically bare where it burnt off the insulation, the wires had a few nicks in them so i think it had shorted out

I've cut this loom off and pluged the other loom straight into radio which works fine and no difference, any idea what this other loom was for? phone or preamp?

Weird thing though I removed radio fuse and hooked up multimeter to see ampage of radio yet it came up as 0, removed multimeter and radio still works (no fuse in) cant see that the fuse has been shorted.

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2009, 17:05:02 »

Its the trafficmaster loom .......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.