Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noisy Tappet I think !  (Read 688 times)

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
Noisy Tappet I think !
« on: 09 October 2008, 16:35:42 »

Ok completed the cam belt change on my 2.0 4cylinder 16v  started first time pretty sure timings right, but seem to have a noisy tappet (i think) looking back to when I last run the car regularly , about 4mths ago it did have a noise then, its only noticeable when outside the car or at tick over so probably just me thinking I have done something wrong..... it runs fine gave it a blast , no missing nothing, bit of smoke but has been stood on a slope for last 4  mths.
Is there anything I can do to try eradicate the tappet noise like additives, etc ??it had an oil & filter change early last year approx 4k ago , do confess to use castrol gtx oil in it as bought several cans way back so just using it up, I then will progress to semi - synth as I use that in my V6
Any tips welcome :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Noisy Tappet I think !
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2008, 16:41:10 »

It's not unusual to get a noisy tappet if the cams have been disturbed as they can get drained.

A couple of regular oil changes will also help. Consider using VXs 10w40 semi synth. Much cheaper than Castrol on TC and superior.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2008, 16:44:50 »

Any tips welcome :y

Don't eat yellow snow!  ;)

OK I'll get my coat!  ::)

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2008, 19:09:58 »

Not sure if it is  a noisy tappet sounds lower when I get down to listen, is it possible for the tensioner to move hitting its stop  even though its in the  slot where its supposed to fit ? :-/

sev

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2008, 20:26:13 »

The cam lifter is a likely option especially if you had to turn the engine over several times in order to get the belt timing right.

You must remember that the engine is still working when you're turning it, it's just that the oil pump isn't pumping oil, hence the oil loss to the hydraulic lifters, hence the oil in them gets squished out and can take a fair bit of time to recouperate.  Don't bother with additives - most good oils have all the ones you need, and GTX certainly will have.  Just be patient with it.

Remember that your engine isn't like old bucket and shim tappets that you can see when you take the cam covers off, they are seated well into the heads i'm sure, but perhaps i'll be corrected by someone more knowlegable.
1995 2.5 V6 CDX Saloon

Abiton

« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2008, 20:52:11 »

Listen carefully to the noise(s) you get in the first few seconds from a cold start, and compare it with what you're hearing a few minutes later.  If it's a more alarming 'crack' of a noise (later) it might not be tappet(s).

I had what I thought was a noisy tappet earlier this year.  It turned out to be a manifold gasket exhaust leak.  I would suggest that you try to get the heatshield off from around the exhaust manifold, and have a good look around for broken studs and any sign of escaping gases.

Pete

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2008, 21:10:09 »

It's not unusual to get a noisy tappet if the cams have been disturbed as they can get drained.

A couple of regular oil changes will also help. Consider using VXs 10w40 semi synth. Much cheaper than Castrol on TC and superior.

Kevin

lol i just use 10W40 halfrauds stuff semi synth!

might be noisey injectors? they can make a ticking noise from what i'v heard
« Last Edit: 10 October 2008, 21:11:03 by grainqey »
V8!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.