Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faith in human nature restored  (Read 1840 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Faith in human nature restored
« on: 07 August 2017, 19:14:45 »

Was messing around with TBE yesterday, when a stranger got out of the passenger seat of a Range Rover and asked if <name> lived at <address almost opposite me>.

I replied yes, and pointed at his house, commenting "I think he went out earlier though".

The lady replied stating that was no problem, but she'd found his wallet (in another town), and would put it through his letterbox.  I said thankyou on his behalf, and praised the lady for her kind act, saying it wasn't so usual nowadays.  So she went over to <name's> house, then wandered back passed, said bye, jumped back in the car and they were off.

<name> arrived back with his wife and kids about an hour later, so popped over as he got out the car, to let him know, and where the lady had said she'd found it. He checked, all present and correct, and summised he'd put it on the car roof and driven off.

There are some thoroughly decent people on this planet. Enough to make you feel humble.
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Faith in human nature restored
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2017, 21:30:35 »

I replied yes, and pointed at his house .....

You grass, she could have been a hitman/woman.  ;D

A few years back, as I was driving to work, I spotted a £10 note in the road as I turned at a junction. I stopped to pick it up and then spotted two more. I thought my luck was in but on my way back to the car I spotted a bank card, a student card and a driving licence. Having some info completely changed the ball game for me. The info on the student card and the driving licence number told me that it belonged to a 19 year old girl. I immediately phoned the Police, concerned for the girls welfare and saying that I would drop the property off at the nearest Police station.
The guy on the phone asked if the cards showed where she lived and suggested that I deliver it personally, if it wasn't too much trouble.  ::)
As it was on my route to work I knocked on the door and a guy answered, it was the girls dad. When I explained my findings he was chuffed to bits, I'll never forget his gratitude and disbelief that I had returned them, and more to the point I felt good for doing it.  :y  He explained that his daughter had driven out of Asda fuel station in Wheatley with her purse on the roof. When she realised, she cancelled the bank card but was concerned about getting a replacement licence and student card. Strangely I found no purse, just the money and the cards. I assume the purse had been run over and the contents had somehow come out.  :-\

Just goes to show that even kids that went to a rough school can turn out honest.  ;) ;D

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2017, 22:25:56 »

There are some thoroughly decent people on this planet. Enough to make you feel humble.

So . . . . . not one for the Cull then ?

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2017, 07:54:16 »

that I would drop the property off at the nearest Police station.

I bumped into a fella trying to do exactly that recently as he'd found someone's wallet on a Sunday afternoon at the shops. Of course, all he could do was push the intercom buzzer outside the cop shop to be informed that they are (all!) closed today and nobody could come out to take the wallet from him, could he come back between 9 & 5 on Monday..

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2017, 09:00:01 »

Life experience has taught me to trust no one, until the individual, perhaps, shows signs of being out of the norm.

Even in this case that on the face of it seems like a wonderfully kind act, I am thinking is there more in it?  Has she taken note of the man's card details, his driving licence information; date of birth, place of birth, address.

It is called now the ABC of policing, but I have followed that rule for most of my life.  Tough if no one likes it, but it has payed dividends for me! ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2017, 09:33:01 »

This happened to me a few years ago when a bloke approached me and asked which house a certain neighbour lived in.

I told him which house and he knocked on the door and proceeded to have a right go at the girl who lived there.  :o

Ooops!  ::)  She probably deserved it though.  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2017, 10:30:40 »

Was messing around with TBE yesterday, when a stranger got out of the passenger seat of a Range Rover and asked if <name> lived at <address almost opposite me>.

I replied yes, and pointed at his house, commenting "I think he went out earlier though".

The lady replied stating that was no problem, but she'd found his wallet (in another town), and would put it through his letterbox.  I said thankyou on his behalf, and praised the lady for her kind act, saying it wasn't so usual nowadays.  So she went over to <name's> house, then wandered back passed, said bye, jumped back in the car and they were off.

<name> arrived back with his wife and kids about an hour later, so popped over as he got out the car, to let him know, and where the lady had said she'd found it. He checked, all present and correct, and summised he'd put it on the car roof and driven off.

I must admit I would have asked for her name and address, as I was sure the owner would want to thank her. (covers the security issue as well.) :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2017, 10:59:34 »

See, this is what the world has made us, we even scrutinise people's genuine acts of honesty.  ;D
In these situations we are caught on the hop so to speak and thinking what we'd have liked to have said after they've left annoys us.  :)
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, a while back my daughter left her purse on the car roof as she loaded her shopping. Not long after she'd arrived home there was a knock on the door and a woman asked if it was her purse. My daughter said that it was and thanked the woman for putting herself out to return it. After the woman had left my daughter felt awful for not offering the woman something as a reward, you are just taken aback at that moment.
We didn't know this woman and we haven't seen her since, it was just a genuine act of kindness.  :y
« Last Edit: 08 August 2017, 11:06:07 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2017, 11:36:22 »

I agree, I have become quite cynical in my old age, but I hope that I can still appreciate acts of simple human kindness. :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2017, 12:03:39 »

A few years back, my daughter had her purse posted through the front door by some one from the bus terminal.  She'd left it on a late night bus. It was returned complete before it was even missed.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2017, 12:20:16 »

Dont worry peeps, normal service shall resume shortly.  I just have to reboot TB.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2017, 12:22:15 »

Dont worry peeps, normal service shall resume shortly.  I just have to reboot TB.

;D ;D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2017, 15:47:30 »

I once found a purse full of money, bank cards, and a couple tickets to a music concert that was being held that very night.

Inside was a picture of a young woman ( aged about 18-20) and her boyfriend. I contacted the bank who got back to me in the form of the girl's mother. Apparently the young woman was at work and extremely upset at losing everything.

I then drove 20 miles to return the purse. The young woman was on her way back home from work and was so very happy her purse had been handed in. Tonight she would go to the pop concert with her boyfriend. :y :y

The mother insisted her daughter would wish to contact me personally, to thank me. I left a phone number and email address.

I heard SFA. :-\......selfish bitch.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2017, 17:48:24 »

I would have normally been more cautious (esp as at this point, she hadn't said the reasoning), but she had already said his name and address.  Given his house has a frikkin' great big number on it, I didn't reveal anything new :)
Grumpy old man

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 August 2017, 00:35:20 »

Beginning of May I was driving my niece back home as it was just gettin dusk
As we passed over the Hayling bridge, I spotted a tasty lookin Ferrari parked up
We slowed to a crawl trying to figure out what it was, older guy was onboard lookin puzzled
I aksed if everything was OK & no it`s broken  >:( he wan`t happy
Everytime he pressed the start button it just went beep beep beep.
 superb lookin silver California

He`d stopped to put the roof up & now it`s boogered
We were scratchin our heads & he`s talking about ruddy Italian rubbish
Then the teenager with me, suggested dropping the roof & tryin again
Neat folding hard top, tucked itself into the boot
Now the V8 crackled into life :y a super car that only works with the roof down ;D
The gent admiited he doesn`t drive it much & prefers his Bentley  ::)
he did a neat u-turn & waved me over stuffing some notes into my hand "Buy that little  girl summat nice will yer" :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.