Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handbrake retainer modification  (Read 2189 times)

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
Handbrake retainer modification
« on: 06 October 2016, 10:26:29 »

Handbrake retainer pins on my '96 had pulled trough backing plate.
First try was to place a 'washer' with rectangular slot from behind, but this failed, as there is not enough space form behind to manuover.
Now I have idea (two of them, actually):

a) slide in the retainer from the behind (not sure if there will be enough space - front hole might be doable, but rear is hidden by rear arm part that holds the caliper)

b) use bolts, aero-nuts and washers insted - I can choose the length of the bolt (cca 60mm), it could be installed from both sides,  I can control the spring tension by how deep the nut is screwed in, and it will be easire to install (thread gradually presses the spring). And the tension from the spring + self-braking of the aero-nut should prevent it from looseing.

What do you think about idea b)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Handbrake retainer modification
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2016, 10:38:57 »

The existing 'washers' (I'm not sure what Vx would call them) - I mean the cup shaped metal, with a slot in which retain the flattened/spade-ended pin can be fitted to the rear of the backing plate, it just needs one edge filing down, so it is a little like a 'D' shape. It's a pain to fit, but it served my old girl for a number of years. Then the rust got worse....

Just before the first MoT after being laid up,on the way to the MoT place, the backing plate just crumbled. My 'mod' was to get some scrap sheet steel, and make a shaped piece of replacement backing plate. stuck a hole in it, and then the standard Vauxhall setup can be used, with the pin through the back, and washer toward the front.

I'd gladly have replaced the backing plate, but as we know, this means replacing the rear wheel bearing. (when the rear bearings do fail, at let's say 200k, I suggest to anyone source some replacement backing plates, and fit these at the same time) so this wasn't feasible, also I had a matter fo days before the retest  :y This backing plate insert, shaped a little like a semicircle, works fine.

The other hole wasn't very healthy, so I replaced this with a thin threaded rod/machine screw and nut and washers on the end. All a bit of a 'bodge' but it's worked for over two years so far. Basically exactly what you say in Option b) so I can say it works fine!  :y

Will try and dig some pics out of my 'field repair'  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2016, 10:43:36 »

You'll have to imagine what a rusty olf handbrake mechanism looks like (I'm sure you/we all can!) But here's the plate I made, the ragged shape being the hole.

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2016, 11:16:59 »

The existing 'washers' (I'm not sure what Vx would call them) - I mean the cup shaped metal, with a slot in which retain the flattened/spade-ended pin can be fitted to the rear of the backing plate, it just needs one edge filing down, so it is a little like a 'D' shape. It's a pain to fit, but it served my old girl for a number of years. Then the rust got worse....

Just before the first MoT after being laid up,on the way to the MoT place, the backing plate just crumbled. My 'mod' was to get some scrap sheet steel, and make a shaped piece of replacement backing plate. stuck a hole in it, and then the standard Vauxhall setup can be used, with the pin through the back, and washer toward the front.

I'd gladly have replaced the backing plate, but as we know, this means replacing the rear wheel bearing. (when the rear bearings do fail, at let's say 200k, I suggest to anyone source some replacement backing plates, and fit these at the same time) so this wasn't feasible, also I had a matter fo days before the retest  :y This backing plate insert, shaped a little like a semicircle, works fine.

The other hole wasn't very healthy, so I replaced this with a thin threaded rod/machine screw and nut and washers on the end. All a bit of a 'bodge' but it's worked for over two years so far. Basically exactly what you say in Option b) so I can say it works fine!  :y

PS. I'll try to take several photos.

Will try and dig some pics out of my 'field repair'  :)

First bolded quote - so you took the washer from facelfit type hadnbrake, and put it from the back side?

Second bolded quote - great to hear that this works. Will stop at the hardware store at my way home, and pick up a whole variety of bolts and nuts.  :y :y
« Last Edit: 06 October 2016, 11:22:24 by Bojan »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2016, 11:30:41 »

Yes, so you push the 'pin' in fromt he 'ou8tside' and the 'washer/cup' will just fit on the backside. As you say, this is the FL style of doing things. But it all depends how rotten your backplate is.

At such time as I get my backplates/wishbones refurbed, I'll get getting a washer or extra thickness of steel welded on the backplate, for better longevity.

oooh, just remembered (it was 2 years ago) I think I had to drill through the cast metal of the hub area, in order to get one of these threaded screws/bolts in. You're not affecting the bearing or anything critical in any way, though, it's nothing scary. Should be obvious when you are down there - and you may not need to, it depends which one you're doing etc.  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2016, 18:46:09 »

Yes, so you push the 'pin' in fromt he 'ou8tside' and the 'washer/cup' will just fit on the backside. As you say, this is the FL style of doing things. But it all depends how rotten your backplate is.

At such time as I get my backplates/wishbones refurbed, I'll get getting a washer or extra thickness of steel welded on the backplate, for better longevity.

oooh, just remembered (it was 2 years ago) I think I had to drill through the cast metal of the hub area, in order to get one of these threaded screws/bolts in. You're not affecting the bearing or anything critical in any way, though, it's nothing scary. Should be obvious when you are down there - and you may not need to, it depends which one you're doing etc  :)

Hmmm...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2016, 09:07:59 »

Hmmm...

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2016, 12:03:00 »

Well, I've managed to put it together.
I have chosen to put the washers+nuts from the back side.
Other way (bolts from the back side) - there isn't enough room at the front (arm is in the way), and the rear, caliper holder is in the way (it would require drilling a hole trough the arm, as DBG said).

I have a photo, I'll upload it.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2016, 15:27:20 »

Glad you're sorted Mr Bojan  :) - of course each person is free to modify their own car as they choose, and I'm sure no-one would argue with that.  :D

You'll now know/see why I ended up drilling. One one side it's fine, but the other, as you say, requires a wee hole. The advantage being that my rear shoe is now held down by a fair few mm of solid cast metal, not 0.8mm of sheet steel like standard  :) Also, as these wishbones are coming off in the near future, being replaced with refurbished ones, any modification like this isn't 'forever' (and has passed two MoTs so far)

Looking forward to see your finished handiwork  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2016, 15:37:41 »

Hmmm...
Don't like the sound of drilling the trailing arm casting :-\ Holes and voids are normally cast from the get go and simply machined to finish...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2016, 16:52:06 »

It's fine, honestly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.