Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery Radiator?  (Read 1494 times)

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
Mystery Radiator?
« on: 17 February 2007, 14:03:47 »

While retrieving a lost screw that holds the headlamp in place (when changing O/S Headlamp) from inside a rubber duct behind the O/S grille that in some models houses  the fog-lamp.... (still with me, do try & keep up!), I noticed another radiator with an electric fan in front of the wheel arch.
The fan was siezed solid, but I have managed to get it to turn very reluctantly by hand
What is this mysterious additional cooling device???
Could the fact that the fan has not been working be the cause of my overheating problem when under load e.g. long inclines on motorways?
Once over the brow of the incline the temperature drops again
Should this fan turn as freely as the other main electric cooling fans do?

Ian
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Radiator?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2007, 14:14:48 »

Not familiar with diseasals but that sound like the intercooler. (air - air heat exchanger between turbo and engine)
If the fans not working that would cause a drop in power o/p due to engine breathing warm, less dense air.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2007, 14:15:32 by Pete »

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2007, 15:12:16 »

Have not noticed any drop in power, only running too hot!
Ian

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2007, 16:47:49 »

Its the intercooler....if not working well then the charge temperature will be higher....this wont help the engine temp.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2007, 19:23:14 »

reason its siezed is the ecu wont switch it on till it detects dangerously high intake temps! mine is wired through a switch and relay and it makes a hell of a difference to the power output especially when towing, and its also good fun at traffic light grand prix time!! as the TD blew away 2 minicoopers the otherday from the traffic lights!!! they were not to impressed and both of them were racing each other on the way to bmw so obviously company cars could hear both of them spinning the wheels in a futile attempt to win!!
however it does also help cool the engine when it on as said earlier as it lowers the engine temp intake, on mine on the diagnostic you could se the intake temp drop by 7 or 8 degrees withing a two mins of switching it on,
to sum up wire it through a seperate switch if you can get it free enough to run without blowing fuses!!
Omegatoy  

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2007, 13:09:46 »

So if I understand correctly, it has seized with lack of use as a result of the ECU not having switched it on (because the intake temperatures have not been sufficiently high in the past, the previous owner only using it to transport dogs)
Now that I am putting more of a strain on the engine through carrying heavy loads for long distances, when the ECU aks the cooling fan to work it does not & I see a increase in engine temperature

Should the Intercooler fan spin freely like the 2 radiator fans do when not in use?
If it is seized/ partially seized can it be revived or do I have to buy a new one?
Is it easy to replace?
Ian

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2007, 13:59:55 »

It should spin freely.....as for stripping and freeing up, it might be easier to source a standard item from elsewhere....have a hunt through ebay, you might find a motorbike cooling fan will fit...

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2007, 21:36:50 »

So if I understand correctly, it has seized with lack of use as a result of the ECU not having switched it on (because the intake temperatures have not been sufficiently high in the past, the previous owner only using it to transport dogs)
Now that I am putting more of a strain on the engine through carrying heavy loads for long distances, when the ECU aks the cooling fan to work it does not & I see a increase in engine temperature

Should the Intercooler fan spin freely like the 2 radiator fans do when not in use?
If it is seized/ partially seized can it be revived or do I have to buy a new one?
Is it easy to replace?
Ian

Mine was seized but a quick squirt of wd and some vigourous turning then wired direct to a battery for a half an hour sorted it, in fact it did sieze again when i didnt use it for a couple of weeks and blew the fuse but again hand turning and switching it on freed it off again i now make sure i switch it on at aleast once a day and have no problems!!
Omegatoy

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2007, 22:12:18 »

So it is fused & if seized should have blown a fuse!
Which No. fuse protects it?
I'm not aware that any have blown!
How easy is it to remove the fan assembly (preferably without disturbing the actual intercooler matrix)?
Ian

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2007, 22:45:06 »

So it is fused & if seized should have blown a fuse!
Which No. fuse protects it?
I'm not aware that any have blown!
How easy is it to remove the fan assembly (preferably without disturbing the actual intercooler matrix)?
Ian

sorry should have ,made it clearer, when i wired it up to a seperate switch and FUSE  it was the fuse i put in the circuit that blew, however if your car has tried to switch it on at any time then it could have blown a fuse, as to removal its pretty easy really just 2 bolts on the actual unit but you need to release the intercooler pipes and loosen the inner wheel arch plastic cover to push it back to access the 2 holding bolts that hold dthe entire thing on intercooler and fan, they both come out as one unit, hope that helps
Omegatoy
ps have you checked the underbonnet fuses? thats whee i put mine in with the ecu it maybe thats where the fuse is that protects it?

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Radiator? Intercooler!!!!
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2007, 17:44:33 »

Of course the fan is not a stock item & will need to come from Germany
VX Part Code is 90540637
Does anyone know whether this is used on any other Vx cars either on an intercooler or as a radiator fan?
It might help me to track one down, in a Breakers, unless any of you gentlemen just happen to have one lurking in the dark recesses of your workshops!
Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.