Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermostat  (Read 976 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Thermostat
« on: 07 October 2009, 08:59:46 »

Having just reread the How-to I guess that none of the black gunk is required therefore I can fill the car up with coolant and start it up straight away once everything is refitted?

capoMV6

• View Profile
Re: Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2009, 09:05:52 »

Am just wondering coz my MV6 here in the Philippines runs on an average of 98-100 c'. Is this normal? I believe this car was imported as a completely built unit from Germany. Its a left hand drive.  Someone told me that it might be that the thermostat is set to German/European standards (cold weather) that's why it does not open below the above temperatures.  Is there some truth/logic in this? Note that the Philippines is a tropical country. What do you guys suggest I do? Also all fans are working properly. Thanks for the comments/advise.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2009, 09:06:49 by capoMV6 »

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2009, 09:29:23 »

Maybe given your ambient temperature over there ;D
« Last Edit: 07 October 2009, 09:29:49 by mrgaffney »

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2009, 09:36:19 »

Thats what i did, fill it up and away you go, though its a good opportunity for a thorough flushing.

Steve
Every start's a bonus!
03 2.6 Elite estate. Bose my A***

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2009, 09:41:53 »

I fitted a new thermostat to mine on Monday. The new thermostat was marked 92-107 degrees C and the gauge now hovers around 90 degrees (with an ambient temperature of 13 degrees). I assume that the temperature sender, being mounted in the coolant bridge, sees a lower temperature than the thermostat does.

The thermostat has two disc valves. The larger one is normally closed and controls the flow to the radiator. A smaller one looks as though it shuts off the flow in a small port behind the water pump. Presumably the larger disc starts to open at 92 degrees and then the smaller disc shuts the other port at 107 degrees.

Perhaps someone with TIS can confirm that the engine is intended to operate at between 92 & 107 degrees?

To reduce emissions I think engines are designed to run hotter than they used to a generation ago but it is rather uncomfortable for those of us worrying about overheating :(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2009, 09:45:28 »

Having just reread the How-to I guess that none of the black gunk is required therefore I can fill the car up with coolant and start it up straight away once everything is refitted?
I didn't use any black gunk and all seemed to be OK when I drove it yesterday. (IIRC I used black VX sealant on my cam covers and grey VX sealant on the oil cooler when I did a big rebuild on the previous car about 7 years ago)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2009, 10:30:51 »

Am just wondering coz my MV6 here in the Philippines runs on an average of 98-100 c'. Is this normal? I believe this car was imported as a completely built unit from Germany. Its a left hand drive.  Someone told me that it might be that the thermostat is set to German/European standards (cold weather) that's why it does not open below the above temperatures.  Is there some truth/logic in this? Note that the Philippines is a tropical country. What do you guys suggest I do? Also all fans are working properly. Thanks for the comments/advise.

Try and get an austrailian thermastat they open earlyer
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

Ziad

• Omega Knight
  • Bahrain
  • They say money talks,but all mine says is Goodbye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2009, 12:27:53 »

I got a german spec omega here in Bahrain (it is HOT here - ambient temp goes up to 52 in summer!) and my temp stays at 90 c and NEVER goes above 97 c now, even with a/c on. I was having overheating problems which were overcome by a good (a real good) flush and cleaning of the rad which was NOT done in situ. The rad was removed, flushed and filled I dunno with wat product, but was left overnight and flushed again in the morning before being refitted. Maybe you could give that a go mate  ;)
« Last Edit: 07 October 2009, 12:28:53 by ziad »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.