Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mental health issues  (Read 5706 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Mental health issues
« on: 28 January 2021, 08:47:43 »

1 in 5 young children have mental health issues, according to the children's commissioner, this rises to 1 in 4 in 16-22's. Parents, forced to look after their children from home, are suffering from mental health issues. University students, advised to attend as normal in September, then locked in their rooms, are suffering from mental health issues. Teachers, so worried they may catch the virus at school, have mental health issues. Frontline NHS workers have severe mental health issues.
We are a nation of fickin nutters, apparently. But what would I know? I have mental health issues.  :(
Diesel till I die

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Mental health issues
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2021, 10:22:59 »

I think you are right. Most people I suspect have become mobile Health and safety experts . From steering clear of other people as you go about to things like carrying wipes to disinfect key pads, door handles prior to use.

I know two people who now have serious trouble from disinfecting their hands after every customer transaction from the early days last year.

Trouble is it is an unknown ( even now) . We desperately would like to visit Friends and family in the UK due to various health issues. Not being able to make plans or indeed is it really a good idea to contemplate travel this year is quite stressful.

I suspect only a very few insular or hard nosed folk arent suffering some form of mental anxiety. Plus of course this is fuelled by each country having a media fest on a daily basis.

I suspect the suicide rate will go up significantly. On that subject we live in one of the highest suicide rate town areas in the whole of Spain. Poor job prospects etc. Strangely the peak is in early summer and not winter as you might think. What seasonal work there is is mostly winter and Spring. That might be the reason
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2021, 10:25:42 »

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2021, 10:41:37 »

Just for comparison, I can vaguely recall this -

https://youtu.be/60uRgywKhKk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

FWIW, I think we're generally far more resilient to stress than we (or the media) might believe.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2021, 10:56:53 »

Talking of mental health issues:

Family 'did Asda shop in blue light ambulance' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-55813850
 ;D ;D
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2021, 11:34:33 »

FWIW, I think we're generally far more resilient to stress than we (or the media) might believe.
There isn't much that can't be fixed with sleep and chicken soup ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2021, 11:42:24 »

Yes, children especially have been badly affected.

One of my grandsons who I see regularly is showing many signs of agitation and uncertainty.  He is only 10, but can go from high to low in mood very quickly, with tears.  His mum has managed to get him back into school as he has a severely autistic brother, who keeps them awake most nights, and so the 10 year old is classed as in special need for going to school, but the underlying issues are still there.

As someone of 'older years' I think I am qualified to say that I am fed up with the massive media, and other, hands ringing over elderly deaths due to COVID.  FFS we are going to die eventually, and once you get to our older years it is not too far away.  People die in numbers to the tune of 500,000+ every year, so we have to accept the inevitable for us and our elderly loved ones.  I did not shed a tear when my parents died, both at 88, admittedly not from COVID, but what is the difference, as they had enjoyed their long lives and had to die sometime.

No, it is the YOUNG I worry about for both the short term and long term.  So enough of constant playing on how many old folk deaths there have been, and lets consider the help the young can be given, especially in terms of mental heath.

Maybe I have a "hard" view on it all as I know that many relatives are being understandably broken with emotion over their losses, but life is not guaranteed and as adults we should understand that.  With the media going on and on about 120K deaths is doing nothing positive for anyone.

Just assist the young! ;)
« Last Edit: 28 January 2021, 11:44:18 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2021, 12:54:59 »

We have successfully bred a nation that cannot support itself.  And then insist on pandering to those who claim mental health issues. And its become an easy way of being a lazy bastard, rather that the old favourite of a (unprovable) bad back*.

As always, my solution works. It solves everything.

*She's been having to give my back regular doses of biofreeze this morning  :-[
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2021, 13:05:32 »

We have successfully bred a nation that cannot support itself.  And then insist on pandering to those who claim mental health issues. And its become an easy way of being a lazy bastard, rather that the old favourite of a (unprovable) bad back*.

As always, my solution works. It solves everything.

*She's been having to give my back regular doses of biofreeze this morning  :-[
Has she tried it on your head? Might cool your brain down a little  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2021, 13:06:14 »

One of my grandsons who I see regularly is showing many signs of agitation and uncertainty.  He is only 10, but can go from high to low in mood very quickly, with tears.  His mum has managed to get him back into school as he has a severely autistic brother, who keeps them awake most nights, and so the 10 year old is classed as in special need for going to school, but the underlying issues are still there.

As someone of 'older years' I think I am qualified to say that I am fed up with the massive media, and other, hands ringing over elderly deaths due to COVID.  FFS we are going to die eventually, and once you get to our older years it is not too far away.  People die in numbers to the tune of 500,000+ every year, so we have to accept the inevitable for us and our elderly loved ones.  I did not shed a tear when my parents died, both at 88, admittedly not from COVID, but what is the difference, as they had enjoyed their long lives and had to die sometime.

No, it is the YOUNG I worry about for both the short term and long term.  So enough of constant playing on how many old folk deaths there have been, and lets consider the help the young can be given, especially in terms of mental heath.

Maybe I have a "hard" view on it all as I know that many relatives are being understandably broken with emotion over their losses, but life is not guaranteed and as adults we should understand that.  With the media going on and on about 120K deaths is doing nothing positive for anyone.

Yes Lizzie.......100,000 covid sniffle deaths, but apparently 77% were over 75 years. A large number of these would have dropped off the perch anyway.

Not to mention  younger covid fatalities who died of covid following a fatal road accident......or the skydiver who died of covid after his parachute failed to open.

The real figure is a fraction of 100,000.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2021, 13:10:20 »

Yes Lizzie.......100,000 covid sniffle deaths, but apparently 77% were over 75 years. A large number of these would have dropped off the perch anyway.

Not to mention  younger covid fatalities who died of covid following a fatal road accident......or the skydiver who died of covid after his parachute failed to open.

Why do you think the government are doing this? To get the chip into everybody? To piss the population off? For a laugh?
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2021, 13:13:00 »

I think you are right. Most people I suspect have become mobile Health and safety experts . From steering clear of other people as you go about to things like carrying wipes to disinfect key pads, door handles prior to use.

I know two people who now have serious trouble from disinfecting their hands after every customer transaction from the early days last year.

Trouble is it is an unknown ( even now) . We desperately would like to visit Friends and family in the UK due to various health issues. Not being able to make plans or indeed is it really a good idea to contemplate travel this year is quite stressful.

I suspect only a very few insular or hard nosed folk arent suffering some form of mental anxiety. Plus of course this is fuelled by each country having a media fest on a daily basis.

I suspect the suicide rate will go up significantly. On that subject we live in one of the highest suicide rate town areas in the whole of Spain. Poor job prospects etc. Strangely the peak is in early summer and not winter as you might think. What seasonal work there is is mostly winter and Spring. That might be the reason

Yes. Excessive hand washing and other compulsive rituals can be a sign of excessive anxiety......and all this extra covid washing is likely to make such compulsions worse.

I find it odd (and amusing) when I see one person driving a car while wearing a mask......Why? :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2021, 13:14:55 »

Why do you think the government are doing this? To get the chip into everybody? To piss the population off? For a laugh?

I hope you don't believe this..... ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2021, 13:18:25 »

Are we talking about the same 'experts' who are staring to suggest that 'double masking' could be a good idea whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that if they truly wanted to limit the spread, full face coverings should be worn in order to protect our eyes from contaminated droplets?

Using fear to control people isn't doing anyone any good. :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2021, 13:25:18 »

I agree. But stress/worry/anxiety/ mental health issues appears to be more of a thing here in the west than it is in, say, Africa. Why?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.