Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Servicing advice - Can I pick your brains??  (Read 3548 times)

farty_towels

• Plymouth
  • Lively up yerself...!
    • MV6 Elite 3.0 2000
    • View Profile
Servicing advice - Can I pick your brains??
« on: 11 October 2012, 21:47:22 »

Having just had my MV6 serviced, the mechanic had some bad news for me. Apparently there was a lot of oil in the cylinders when the spark plugs were taken out and their advice was that the rocker cover gaskets had blown and needed replacing. The new spark plugs weren't fitted and were given to me in a bag.

My query is this, do people think that the gaskets need replacing and how urgent is it. If so how much work / cost would you expect from a decent mechanic?

Unfortunately, my knowledge of engines is very limited and I always worry that I am an easy target for being conned.

Any thoughts / guidance would be very much appreciated...!
Of all the things I've lost in life, its my mind I miss the most...!

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Servicing advice - Can I pick your brains??
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2012, 21:52:11 »

Theres not too many Omegas on here that have not had the gaskets replaced. I've just done mine. There's an excellent guide in the maintenance area, so you would definitely be able to have a go. Failing that, there will be someone close to you that could certainly help  :y
I first got involved in Omega mechanics as I had failed gaskets and paid a recommended mechanic good money to fix them - big mistake! Lasted about two weeks  :'(
Only direction is, always use genuine gaskets!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2012, 21:53:14 »

Yes, Rocker gaskets. Genuine parts only, pattern will last somewhere between days and months. About £70 for (genuine) parts
Grumpy old man

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2012, 21:56:27 »

Do them as soon as you can, or it will make a mess on your drive  :D

PAULCDX

« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2012, 22:04:29 »

Give AndyC a PM or call, he will do you a good deal on the gasket sets you need  :y

farty_towels

• Plymouth
  • Lively up yerself...!
    • MV6 Elite 3.0 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2012, 22:10:10 »

Yes, Rocker gaskets. Genuine parts only, pattern will last somewhere between days and months. About £70 for (genuine) parts

Cheers for that matey, my mechanic reckons it will take a couple of hours to fit them, do you reckon this is realistic?

farty_towels

• Plymouth
  • Lively up yerself...!
    • MV6 Elite 3.0 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2012, 22:12:20 »

Theres not too many Omegas on here that have not had the gaskets replaced. I've just done mine. There's an excellent guide in the maintenance area, so you would definitely be able to have a go. Failing that, there will be someone close to you that could certainly help  :y
I first got involved in Omega mechanics as I had failed gaskets and paid a recommended mechanic good money to fix them - big mistake! Lasted about two weeks  :'(
Only direction is, always use genuine gaskets!!
Cheers matey, do you reckon a novice with a fairly healthy toolkit would do a decent job? I am a little hesitant of biting off more than I can chew!

farty_towels

• Plymouth
  • Lively up yerself...!
    • MV6 Elite 3.0 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2012, 22:17:21 »

Give AndyC a PM or call, he will do you a good deal on the gasket sets you need  :y
Thanks for that matey, how can I find contact details for AndyC?

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2012, 22:19:52 »

Have a look at the guide pal, and that'll give you an idea. It is fairly straightforward, but there are two things to consider - your confidence (bearing in mind you're on a great site with a superb amount of advice and support) and the cost of the mechanic, if you can trust him? That is not meant to be rude or otherwise, but Omegas seem to be quite unique and some don't seem to know what they're doing. I have based this on personal experience, and it is not a reflection on whoever you have chosen  :y

Feel free to ask any questions before you start if you decide to do it yourself, and take a note of the tools required. A few spanners and a socket set are obvious, but you'll also need torx sockets for the Omega  :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2012, 22:20:55 »

He 'advertises' in the recommended suppliers part of the 'for sale' boards, and posts quite regularly  :y

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2012, 22:46:23 »

Here: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=97927.0  :y

Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2012, 22:50:54 »

And don't forget to clean the breathers at the same time or the gaskets will blow again.
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

farty_towels

• Plymouth
  • Lively up yerself...!
    • MV6 Elite 3.0 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2012, 23:19:10 »

Just an update, I got my local kwik fit to do the job as I've used them a number of times for other work. I was quoted £150 to do the job inclusive of parts and vat and i even had a 20% discount voucher reducing it to £120 total! So far, I'm well happy! :)

I wanted to do a fit only job with them but they wouldn't fit the parts i provided which was a shame as I wanted to obtain them from o o f sources :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2012, 23:22:30 »

Just an update, I got my local kwik fit to do the job as I've used them a number of times for other work. I was quoted £150 to do the job inclusive of parts and vat and i even had a 20% discount voucher reducing it to £120 total! So far, I'm well happy! :)

I wanted to do a fit only job with them but they wouldn't fit the parts i provided which was a shame as I wanted to obtain them from o o f sources :(

The trouble with that is, they'll have fitted cheap pattern parts & you'll have the same problem sooner rather than later.  :(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2012, 23:24:09 »

I just hope, but somehow I'm worried, that they used GENUINE Vx Gaskets only .. AND .. they properly cleaned the breathers.

If either of those hopes is proved wrong .. you'll be doing them again within a twelve month.

It cannot be emphasised enough ... Cam cover gaskets must be genuine .. breathers must be cleaned.... if you even suspect that kwikfit haven't done both .. go back and create hell.... or your money was wasted.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.