Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Newer cars  (Read 17113 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Newer cars
« Reply #150 on: 12 December 2013, 20:22:22 »

Not really, it's simply that TB has been a bit reticent with specifics... they're all there somewhere over the last ten pages :y

A common theme, over the last 5 43 years. Regardless of the subject. ;D
Fixed.
Well we can't help you if your going to play secret squirrel. ...conclude, TB dosnt want helping. Awkward bugger. ;D

Is300. I'm tellin ya! ;)
Like a lot of things, I don't know what I want.  I know what I don't want, and is300 does fit in that category at the moment.

Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 12 December 2013, 20:28:02 »

A E320 (3.0 diesel) Merc goes pretty well. I was impressed with the performance of the E Class estate I drove just when looking for a 'new' car ...... I bought the R320 though  ;) ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 12 December 2013, 20:55:05 »

A E320 (3.0 diesel) Merc goes pretty well. I was impressed with the performance of the E Class estate I drove just when looking for a 'new' car ...... I bought the R320 though  ;) ;)

I look after an E320cdi,I like it a lot,far more than the equivalent BMW  :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 12 December 2013, 21:04:43 »

Trouble with Mercs (no idea about other 'prestige marques'  is that every car seems to be differently spec'd ....... some have this, some have that but rarely do they have this and that.
And just about all of them are a bloody 'sport' ....... I want an exec car to waft/wallow along, not be able to feel every crisp packet that I drive over. I like my Airmatic set to Comfort ....... Sport is horrible

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 12 December 2013, 21:37:39 »

Trouble with Mercs (no idea about other 'prestige marques'  is that every car seems to be differently spec'd ....... some have this, some have that but rarely do they have this and that.
And just about all of them are a bloody 'sport' ....... I want an exec car to waft/wallow along, not be able to feel every crisp packet that I drive over. I like my Airmatic set to Comfort ....... Sport is horrible

My Merc is an ' Elegance '  8)  although in truth it's more like an ' Inelegance '  :(  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #155 on: 12 December 2013, 21:53:07 »

The Russet edges add a certain rustic charm though :y

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 13 December 2013, 11:20:28 »

So which is it?

Performance = V8
Reality = Diesel

Limited to BMW & Audi as they are about the only to make fast V8 diesels

Think it's been mentioned but dare I say 530/535d. Straight six, economical for its size and limited to 155. Don't know what budget or requirements are though. Trust me, you won't know you are in a diesel.
No idea on maintenance costs though so could be a nightmare.  :-\

I like 5s but as you say service costs will be high. Limited DIY base too.

With my decent tools these days, going classic route is valid option.  Expensive to fuel, but cheap to service.

Trade BMW parts, cheap stuff, DIY on a 5 Series, easy stuff :y.
Are they similar to the e39 5 Del? Suspension joints, turbo, injectors, hedgehogs, swirl flaps, diesel pumps(x5?)...?

E60's are generally pretty good to be honest, injectors can be troublesome, turbos not as big of an issue, swirl flaps we're changed from 2005 onwards, still there as an issue, but not a big problem, diesel pumps not heard of an issue with one of those really :y. BMW's are no better reliability wise than anything else I've got to say, however the engines are cracking, build quality is good, and they drive like a car should.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 13 December 2013, 11:26:36 »

TB wants another project Tractor, thats what. You will get used to the manual gearbox.

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, gives you the bit of fun, should get close to 40mpg with the diesel manual.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 13 December 2013, 11:55:33 »

TB wants another project Tractor, thats what. You will get used to the manual gearbox constant engine swaps again.

Fixed that for you. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 13 December 2013, 22:49:24 »

Actually been trying to think of something.. Really can't, though. I can't get excited about anything new. Quite like the recent Mazdas and they don't really have an "image", which is the thing that'd completely put me off an Audi. If their reliability is as good as it was, it should be a safe bet. My F.I.L has a recent Mitsubishi Lancer, which I quite like the looks of (in black). Not an overstyled sheep in wolf's clothing like most cars these days IMHO. Not driven one, though.

If wanting something cheap to run you'll end up with a FWD tractor-engined repmobile anyway, so just buy the one you hate the least, once it's done all its' depreciating. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #160 on: 13 December 2013, 23:19:00 »

TB wants another project Tractor, thats what. You will get used to the manual gearbox.

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, gives you the bit of fun, should get close to 40mpg with the diesel manual.
And if he gets an Estate, he won't need a garage either. ;)

Hold on. A manual gear box? ...as TB would say, stupid boy Pike. ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 14 December 2013, 00:39:55 »

We are all talking about tractors as he needs 40mpg+, but does he if it has LPG? The problem with modern tractors is that the fuel consumption saving can be an illusion with the higher purchase price and running costs through high pressure pumps, turbos, DPF's and injector reliability all too often means the cost of spare parts more than outweighs the reduced fuel running costs.

My own conclusion is that petrol + LPG is probably a cheaper and better route for many over the overall cost of a tractor. Should he be looking within his budget for petrol plus the cost of an LPG conversion?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 14 December 2013, 09:47:10 »

We are all talking about tractors as he needs 40mpg+, but does he if it has LPG? The problem with modern tractors is that the fuel consumption saving can be an illusion with the higher purchase price and running costs through high pressure pumps, turbos, DPF's and injector reliability all too often means the cost of spare parts more than outweighs the reduced fuel running costs.

My own conclusion is that petrol + LPG is probably a cheaper and better route for many over the overall cost of a tractor. Should he be looking within his budget for petrol plus the cost of an LPG conversion?

This is spot on, you can spend £15k on something that does 50mpg and quick, but the big diesels do appear to suffer. As highlighted elsewhere engines these days are build more and more for emissions, less so DIY and driving experience.

A £10k Monaro + DIY service costs, vs say £15k Insignia? Going to take a long time to burn through £5k's worth of fuel...... well maybe not in TB's case  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 14 December 2013, 09:47:18 »

It won't be an Omega, and I'd never get used to that awful manual box.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 14 December 2013, 09:48:22 »

LPG is out, as the whole point is having something with load carrying ability. I have 2 LPG cars already ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.