Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Newer cars  (Read 17122 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Newer cars
« Reply #165 on: 14 December 2013, 09:50:38 »

TB wants another project Tractor, thats what. You will get used to the manual gearbox.

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, gives you the bit of fun, should get close to 40mpg with the diesel manual.
It won't be an Omega, and I'd never get used to that awful manual box.

A poor gearbox in then, vs a nice new modern box that has 6 speeds and you will be for ever changing gear.

I can see a 6 speed manual diesel's novelty wearing thin, especially on your commute.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 14 December 2013, 09:50:50 »

A £10k Monaro + DIY service costs, vs say £15k Insignia? Going to take a long time to burn through £5k's worth of fuel...... well maybe not in TB's case  ;D
At around 10-15mpg, I'd say within about 15k/9 months (assuming anything else I can get 40mpg from), to burn through that "saved" £5k
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 14 December 2013, 09:52:28 »

A £10k Monaro + DIY service costs, vs say £15k Insignia? Going to take a long time to burn through £5k's worth of fuel...... well maybe not in TB's case  ;D
At around 10-15mpg, I'd say within about 15k/9 months (assuming anything else I can get 40mpg from), to burn through that "saved" £5k

Well normal people could probably get fair bit more out of Monaro, Robsey reported better MPG than any V6 Omega!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 14 December 2013, 10:04:36 »

Well normal people could probably get fair bit more out of Monaro, Robsey reported better MPG than any V6 Omega!
If you listened to what he said, "when cruising". He openly said how bad it was when hooning around, and I bet that 10 mile jaunt we went on used the wrong side of a gallon (so approx 70ppm in your brain).
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 14 December 2013, 10:22:41 »

If you listened to what he said, "when cruising". He openly said how bad it was when hooning around, and I bet that 10 mile jaunt we went on used the wrong side of a gallon (so approx 70ppm in your brain).

Yeah but there is hooning about, and a commute? That run we did would be very different from normal morning runs to work.

I can't see you being happy with a diesel manual, not to mention how fragile they appear to be when trashed constantly. Lets face it that 3.0 engine in the bullet of yours, has had a very, very hard life. I can't see a modern diesel taking that kind of punishment, which is your normal driving.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 14 December 2013, 10:30:21 »

I'd certainly recommend a Merc C250 TD Estate like mine.  Rear wheel drive, comfy, plenty of grunt when you need it and a robust old style turbo diesel that will run happily on veggie oil so very cheap to run!  :y  I not sure what Merc's newer generation of CDi diesels are like though. For sure you couldn't run them on veggie but maybe more robust than a Ford or Vaux?  :-\

This was one of my motivations for the importing a car from Japan idea I had recently, was to find a low mileage older vehicle that was easy to DIY maintain and with a basic old diesel that will run on veggie.  ;)

LPG is great, but you do have the trade off with losing some boot space...  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 14 December 2013, 10:35:23 »

Lets face it that 3.0 engine in the bullet of yours, has had a very, very hard life. I can't see a modern diesel taking that kind of punishment, which is your normal driving.
That 3.0l has had an easy life. Thats why at 212k (plus whatever I did over the summer  :-X) it still pulls like a train. I treat all my engines with the respect they deserve - let them warm up and cool down properly, and give them a blood transfusion regularly.

I would expect any engine, under those conditions, to last well.
Grumpy old man

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #172 on: 14 December 2013, 10:54:34 »

Having had a 2010 2.0 Tdci 140 Mondeo for a while - I can see many of the points made here. The manuals seem fragile due to DMF issues, the autos are 6 speed and inherently better suited to use the torque available.

Look @ a post 2011 2.2 Tdci with Bluefin and you have about 216 BHP and near as 500Nm available, with MPG for an auto still being in the 40s.

IIRC that's pretty much the same power as a 3.2 with almost double the torque available.

I regularly get over 60 MPG on one of my usual trips and average close to 50.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 14 December 2013, 12:37:13 »

Lets face it that 3.0 engine in the bullet of yours, has had a very, very hard life. I can't see a modern diesel taking that kind of punishment, which is your normal driving.
That 3.0l has had an easy life. Thats why at 212k (plus whatever I did over the summer  :-X) it still pulls like a train. I treat all my engines with the respect they deserve - let them warm up and cool down properly, and give them a blood transfusion regularly.

I would expect any engine, under those conditions, to last well.

Engine yes, but DPF's?, DMF's, injectors?

Still think, given your driving style, DIY maintenance is a must. Which rules out quite a lot of cars...

05omegav6

« Reply #174 on: 14 December 2013, 12:49:13 »

Got it :y

Seats 6, rwd, manual, diesel, diy friendly, loads of boot space, nice comfy driving position, and well within a sensible budget...

http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/used-vans/ford/transit/2005-ford-transit-tipper-tdi-90ps-drw-diesel-royston-vfpa-8aa782b542e0d8440142ec418edf0a74/bodytype/tipper/makemodel/make/ford/model/transit

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 14 December 2013, 13:03:11 »

Still think, given your driving style, DIY maintenance is a must. Which rules out quite a lot of cars...

Does it? Oil, filters, coolant, belts, brake parts. All user-serviceable on pretty much all cars out there, and I wouldn't expect a newish car to need much else.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 14 December 2013, 14:21:22 »

Does it? Oil, filters, coolant, belts, brake parts. All user-serviceable on pretty much all cars out there, and I wouldn't expect a newish car to need much else.

For me, it's lack of forums to support DIY on newer cars.

Something like an Audi A6/8 ect will have very few who dabble themselves...

I guess ones with chains even less so, that just leaves coolant, filters, brakes I guess.  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 14 December 2013, 14:31:26 »

For me, it's lack of forums to support DIY on newer cars.

Something like an Audi A6/8 ect will have very few who dabble themselves...

I guess ones with chains even less so, that just leaves coolant, filters, brakes I guess.  :-\

As I could be tempted by one of these:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311200041298/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/fuel-type/diesel/make/audi/radius/1500/page/2/model/a8/postcode/w39ej?logcode=p

But would have no idea where to begin with an oil change, or even an airfilter, not sure how different pads/disc change would be.  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 14 December 2013, 14:50:11 »

Engine yes, but DPF's?, DMF's, injectors?
I doubt DPFs would cause me concern, as it'd get purged every time I used it. Has the DMF on your 2.2 given you any grief in 160k? Thought not.

Not sure why my driving style would affect servicing, but, yes, DIY maintenence is my preference (and not (just) for cost considerations).
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.