Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant leak????  (Read 695 times)

Fresno Bob

• Rugeley, Staff's
    • View Profile
Coolant leak????
« on: 06 February 2011, 12:21:18 »

Hi guys,

My 1999 2.0 16v is using considerable amounts of coolant, but I cant find an obvious leak anywhere.

All I can see is a slight (and I mean slight) weaping around the top joint of the expansion tank (just below where the cap screws on)

I have run the car up today from cold, drove it around the block but no evidence of a leak to account for the amount I am loosing. I have monitored this weeping and if I wipe it away, it takes a good 5 mins to build up again. I know I will have to replace the tank, but it does not seem that htis is the main issue, more a red herring?

As an example, topped the water up to the cold line at work, drove home (18mile journey) aprox 12 miles into journey, indicator panel in car is telling me low coolant level.

When I let it cool down, sure as eggs is eggs it is well below the cold line?

Many Thanks

Lee

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant leak????
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2011, 12:33:47 »

As long as there are no signs of water and oil mixing, and no excessive white smoke from the exhaust, then you must have a leak.
You mention the expansion tank, sometimes these start to crack around the top half and allow loss of pressure and coolant vapour, It would be a good idea to get a replacement...

Fresno Bob

• Rugeley, Staff's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2011, 12:51:05 »

There is no visible leak, I have white smoke upon start up, but appears to clear when warm.

I have my replacement tank ready to fit this afternoon when engine has cooled down.

Just seems a lot of water to loose to what is a pin hole at the top of my expansion tank?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2011, 13:03:55 »

If the header tank cap has failed, the seal is poor, or you have small cracks around the threads  .. the same thing happens in all cases ... the system will not pressurise.

If the system is unpressurised the boiling point of the water is lower. As the engine runs at just below boiling point (97°C) it is very close to boiling , its almost like "simmering" a pan on a cooker. So evaporation will take place at a high rate. This can lead to an apparent drop of level very quickly.

Make sure the system is SEALED .. as it was designed to be .. the few PSI pressure raises the boiling point to around 105°C and prevents evaporation.

HTH

Fresno Bob

• Rugeley, Staff's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2011, 12:21:01 »

Replaced expansion tank, no leaks etc from there.

Car is still loosing water, no obvious leaks / puddles, oil looks ok, no gunk on oil cap.

I am fresh out of ideas :-/

ScaniaV8

• Luton, Bedfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2011, 13:14:14 »

Pressure test the system, the only real way to see where leak is coming from in the system. There is a guide on how to do this check.

Also, have you definitely concluded it's not the obvious candidate....the HBV. Depending on heater settings you can lose alot of ccolant very quickly if it is faulty. They are a regular culprit...and only fit a genuine VX replacement. 

Abiton

« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2011, 13:24:58 »

To reassure yourself about the head gasket, try the following.
With cold engine, remove sparkplugs, ensuring that any fluid around them is mopped out before you unscrew them.

Shine a small bright torch down each hole in turn, looking at the top surface of the piston.  If there is fluid on any of them, sample it with a bit of kitchen roll taped to a stick.  If it looks/smells/tastes like coolant, that would be bad.

If they are all dry, that would be good.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.