Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Interior light  (Read 12635 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Interior light
« Reply #30 on: 21 January 2021, 16:58:33 »

I take your point TB, but you're ignoring the fact that between the hole, the non working aircon, the time of year and lack of meaningful use all conspire to add more moisture in the car for longer than might have reasonably been allowed for.

I would wager that once the temperature starts to rise into spring it will be working fine :y
Relative Humidity in there is currently around 30%, and has been for about 3 weeks mostly...

So now we have ruled up dampness, can we move on?  Although as the alarm triggered again, its now sat with battery disconnected, and suspect wont move until lockdown ends and the scrappy can come out ;)
Grumpy old man

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 January 2021, 20:13:14 »

Disconnect and Throw the alarm away, if it gets nicked it will save you scrapping it👍
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 January 2021, 20:22:04 »

Wires don't generally uncorrode :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

relluf

« Reply #33 on: 24 January 2021, 13:29:14 »

Mine was doing exactly the same while it was laid up for lockdown , faint buzzing from light switch, seat(drivers only) not working.
I was trying to keep battery topped up by charging every couple of weeks ,but every time I came to start it battery was dead, I figured out eventually interior lights were staying on and I guess draining battery, so I pulled the bulbs instead of doing a proper fix ;D.
Eventually decided to buy a new battery anyway and while getting ready for new MOT so starting car to work on it etc and driving to get wheel bearing done(about 20 mile round trip) it all went back to normal ?? Seat works, no more buzzing, but i have left the bulbs out for now!!
See how it goes, as now using as daily.

I have figured out that if you have the dimming wheel on the light switch at full brightness it doesn't buzz , but if you scroll wheel to dim lights buzzing starts ??
I guess new switch is needed or just have dash on full brightness and ignore, although i have no idea if this is part of the interior light  and seat not working issue.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 January 2021, 15:02:38 »

As I've said earlier.this is pretty much what mine was doing. Funny noises from warning buzzer,strange noises when key in,park position etc and interior light not fading away . Yours may or may not be the same but mine was all linked to a problem in the drivers door or door connector plug. All found from following the blue wire .if req my post was entitled.    Strange goings on

Mine also varied with the dimmer but nothing to do with light switch

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 January 2021, 15:04:39 »

Mine DID sound like the buzzing was coming from the light switch but it wasn't.it was the buzzer in the relay box left of the column

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 January 2021, 15:12:41 »

And the easiest ,quickest way to confirm this is
Create the situation where the noise happens
Unplug the door big connector plug.( fiddly to get off and on but if the noise stops then it's most probably moisture in the plug/ socket or whetever the wire connects to in the door.
At least this way will check/ eliminate it
Hope this helps. ( to gbh and franks dad!)

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 February 2021, 18:41:32 »

Haven't yet had time to get out and fix this problem yet so as a temp workaround I'd like to remove the bulbs but haven't managed that simple task yet especially with my big fingers.Are they twist and fall out or push up and twist or pull not that any would seem that easy ?

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 February 2021, 18:45:21 »

Why don’t you pull the fuse just for now?
Laying a rubber road.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 February 2021, 18:53:57 »

the lens comes off the front and the bulbs pull out or remove the light unit and either remove them from the back or unplug it
by the time you get back to fixing it if the weather warms up it may cure itself .nice to find the actual issue thou !

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 February 2021, 19:03:47 »

Haven't yet had time to get out and fix this problem yet so as a temp workaround I'd like to remove the bulbs but haven't managed that simple task yet especially with my big fingers.Are they twist and fall out or push up and twist or pull not that any would seem that easy ?
2.6 will be later light type, when is remove entire light from roof, unplug the loom, then twist and remove bulbs (or just leave loom unplugged.
Grumpy old man

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 February 2021, 23:03:07 »

It's happening to me.  Same as the others - the car just stands there these days and rarely gets driven.

It's very intermittent.  Sometimes it's OK.  Once it stayed on even when driving.  Sometimes it goes off after a long time.  Once the alarm sounded which I put down to wind rocking the car.  Manually pushing the door switches didn't do anything. I don't get any funny sounds.

The lamps pull out.  The bulb has a glass tab with the wires which push into the socket with the tab going side-to-side across the car.  I broke one bulb using pliers with tape round the jaws to grip the bulb.  Fine nosed pliers were best as I could get below the cylindrical bulbous bit and gently lever them out.  I did wonder about wrapping some duck tape round the bulb and pulling.  The look like these Autobulbs 10 X 501 Capless Sidelight Car Bulb Bulbs Interior Number Plate Side Light 12V 5W  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autobulbs-Capless-Sidelight-Bulbs-Interior/dp/B009ZJUI90

I will investigate the solutions suggested and post back.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2021, 23:11:25 by Darius »

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 February 2021, 09:40:01 »

yes they are 501 bulbs.
as ive mentioned above .MINE was traced back to the blue wire going into the drivers door .yours or other peoples may be different.mine and others also had a noise from the "lights on" warning buzzer when you shouldnt have.this all makes sense realy because that blue wire is one of the inputs to the central locking ecu that tells it that a door is open and controls other things accordingly.if that blue wire is partially low to earth it will make the ecu think a door is open.

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19 February 2021, 19:29:28 »

Thanks.  A quick clarification:  You say you
Unplug[ged] the door big connector plug.

Sorry for being a twit but where is the "door big connector plug".  Is it pry off the grommet and it's inside the bodywork pillar?  Or is it inside the door itself, either by prying off the black knob-like thing and poking around, or by removing the door panel?  Or is it the black knob-like thing itself where the cable goes into the door, and I just need to pull it off?  My garage is full of other stuff so work has to be done on the drive in between the showers while getting frozen by the howling wind :-(

As an aside - when I was looking last night I discovered that the central locking works but the second press to deadlock doesn't.  It's looking very similar!

if that blue wire is partially low to earth it will make the ecu think a door is open.
Absolutely.  I have several times recently found myself checking to see if a door is open.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2021, 19:43:11 by Darius »

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19 February 2021, 20:38:23 »

I had a brilliant idea and I looked in the manual  :y 

It says "[the wiring connector] is fixed to the front edge of the door.  Unscrew the connector locking ring, then pull the connector away from the door (see illustration)".  It has a pretty picture ...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.