Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloody egay  (Read 8210 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Bloody egay
« on: 21 May 2020, 19:35:22 »

I need a USB (A) to USB-C cable.  Should be nice and cheap on eBay.  But all the 99p listed ones are really £3-6 due to the way to can list shit on there.

Unless they clamp down on these shenanigans, I can see normal people like me simply not bothering.

Knob jockeys.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

Re: Bloody egay
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2020, 19:40:52 »

I need a USB (A) to USB-C cable.  Should be nice and cheap on eBay.  But all the 99p listed ones are really £3-6 due to the way to can list shit on there.

Unless they clamp down on these shenanigans, I can see normal people like me simply not bothering.

Knob jockeys.
Normal people?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2020, 20:05:50 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-C-USB-3-1-Type-C-to-2-0-Type-A-Male-Data-Charge-Cable-Black/274017926856?hash=item3fccbdbec8:g:BMYAAOSwtg9dhWlO

£1.55 inc Royal Mail 1st Class  :-\
Ta, appreciated :y

Though I have ordered one from elsewhere now. significantly cheaper as well but without free postage.  But I ordered some other bits I've been putting off and got free delivery on the order, so ended well.

Up til recently, I have managed to just scroll through eBay listings and ignore the £0.99 - £100 type listings, but notice the sellers have found a way to get the item to show as just 99p, rather than a range, making it a pain in the arse.
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2020, 09:09:57 »

I've given up on ebay USB cables. They often contain so little copper that they can't charge a phone properly, especially one that's flat and needs a high current. The cheap wire results in a voltage drop and the charging stops and starts.

I find the ones CPC sell (with some tech specs) a lot better. I keep a list of the the things I need often like AA batteries and place an order when I exceed the free delivery threshold (which has now gone up to £17.50 + VAT because of COVID-19).

They used to send special offers every week but that has stopped for now but when they did buy 40 AA batteries and 40 AAA batteries from them was excellent value, like £7 a pack.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2020, 13:21:15 »

Knob jockeys.
Normal people?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

In Brackley? :-\

Long shot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2020, 17:58:49 »

Knob jockeys.
Normal people?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am perfectly normal. Its everybody else.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2020, 16:12:01 »

Brave Man using Cheap eBay USB cables, especially C or Micro type, been there got the Shirt.

I only use good known or branded types now and pay a bit more, works out cheaper in the long run rather than getting the USB Ports repaired or replaced.  ;)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2020, 16:46:20 »

Brave Man using Cheap eBay USB cables, especially C or Micro type, been there got the Shirt.

I only use good known or branded types now and pay a bit more, works out cheaper in the long run rather than getting the USB Ports repaired or replaced.  ;)

Yep. I'll go with that. Cough up a bit more £. Cheapo cheapo cheapest is just not worth the hassle.

It's a real piss-off when you think the phone is charging, and after some time you find that the connector is a shit fit and that nothing has happened.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2020, 17:11:35 »

oppsing wifi. I oppsing hate oppsing wifi. Yet another long post lost. oppsing wifi. Lets ban it, it only causes interference.

Did I mention I oppsing hate wifi?

Jist of post, USB-C not mainstream, doubt my 79p USB-C cable will ever get used now I've checked it works. There is currently no need for it, unless you're gay/stupid enough to buy an Apple Mac, which in itself is pointless because Apple are lost since Jesus died.

I think that sums up the mega post.

One last thing. Wifi is shit. There was a brief moment before every man and his dog got it and misconfigured it, but now its shit. And I oppsing hate it.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2020, 17:13:46 »

My Wi-fi is fine and I don't lose posts or anything. It's you  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2020, 17:16:23 »

Its also been reported by egay is so slow on all but the fastest PCs (and even causes them to light up their fans) - they are getting a 3rd party to track you via javascript that generates a fingerprint every page load, to bypass the ad tracking blockers people load, which it then uploads to said 3rd party. Its quite CPU intensive.

Because also egay is laced with embedded ads, most of these ads also use either the same (or a competing) scripts, so you can be fingerprinted 10-20 times per page.

Epic work, egay.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2020, 17:22:38 »

My Wi-fi is fine and I don't lose posts or anything. It's you  ;D
I live in an area where everyone has wifi, and because they are thick, set them up like idiots, so they interfere with everyone elses. Then because they get shit wifi, they buy extenders, hindering the situation even more, so they go all in on the mesh wank. Result, nobody can use wifi here.

Things improved briefly, when I swiped 13 Homehubs from work, and set them all on different channels, and had broadcasts constantly going.  But soon returned to normal.

To give you some idea how bad it is on 2.4Ghz here, ping paket loss between laptop and the access point is around 1% during a normal prelockdown day, to around 60% over an hour in the evening, or all the time currently.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2020, 17:24:56 »

Its that bad, I might get some more routers and just blat the 2.4Ghz band, and move to a 4G dongle myself. Though then I cant use network devices.

Obviously, I'd have to turn off those 13 routers when I wanted to fly something, or play with the RC cars.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2020, 18:23:57 »

Its also been reported by egay is so slow on all but the fastest PCs (and even causes them to light up their fans) - they are getting a 3rd party to track you via javascript that generates a fingerprint every page load, to bypass the ad tracking blockers people load, which it then uploads to said 3rd party. Its quite CPU intensive.

Because also egay is laced with embedded ads, most of these ads also use either the same (or a competing) scripts, so you can be fingerprinted 10-20 times per page.

Epic work, egay.
It's fine on my iPad @70Mbs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.