Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My lower water heater hose keeps coming off, seated many times!  (Read 2679 times)

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
  • Been helped, will help.
    • View Profile

Is it due to possible Heater Bypass Valve or just that I am not seating the hose properly on the heater tubes that protrude out in to th enegine firewall?  Any hints on how to remove this hose and re-seat properly please!  The hose connector has a greenish ring on it but I don't know if it is doing anything useful?  Can one use clamps on top or not? 

My other hunch is that maybe the Heater Bypass Valve is not working properly and the heater pump pressure is causing the hose to come off in case it cannot push the coolant through the Heater?  When it is on before coming off there is heat inside so I don't believe the heater itself is blocked or plugged?

Regards for the help and ideas in advance.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
Re: My lower water heater hose keeps coming off, seated many times!
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2013, 22:44:33 »

that green ring is part of a quick release fitting so you either have a broken fitting or your just not fitting it properly, it can be a bit of a bugger to get to.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2013, 23:06:48 »

IIRC the hose with a new fitting is not expensive. Having said that, they do take a bit of a shove to go fully home. A bit of vaseline on the metal pipe helps.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2013, 23:44:20 »

Kevin and ffcgarry1 so thanks for your prompt reply.  I am in Canada and it is the Cadillac Catera, sister to your famous Omega X30XE Omega facelift from 2001.  Parts are extremely hard to come by here as not too many were sold.

This is a complicated weird looking hose and the radiator just empties out when it comes off with steam everywhere.

Would I be correct in assuming that,

-  I should release the green ring 
          .  By the way if the hose pops with green ring on it, does it mean the green ring is damaged or that it is not installed properly!
  -  press on the white protruding button at the top end as in below or should I try to lift the white button to unlock the locking ring. 
  -  Then redo

I do know I have to shrink my arm to get to it  ;)

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2013, 23:47:22 by TestOmega »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2013, 10:13:27 »

I think the green ring just holds the assembly in the correct place after manufacture. As soon as it is fitted, it comes loose and is of no further use.

The ring with the two lugs on (white on one of the connectors in the picture, black on the other) is released and pulled back towards the rubber hose to release the connector. To fit the connector, ensure that this is fully back towards the rubber hose, push the hose onto the metal pipe has far as possible, then slide the ring forwards towards the bulkhead. The two lugs should snap in to the connector body to prevent the ring from releasing.

I'm guessing it's either not going fully home for some reason (debris, perhaps?) and therefore not locking fully, or the lugs have broken or been weakened, meaning that it snaps open with a bit of heat and pressure.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2013, 11:49:20 »

The green ring has no function following manufacture.

The key thing to do is make sure the lock ring is fully pulled back, push the hose on, it goes on further than you think and must be fitted such that the ridge on the bulk head pipe is well inside the connector.

Then the locking ring is pushed outwards toward the hose end (e.g. the bulk head) to lock the hose on.

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2013, 01:01:31 »

Marks DTM Calib so thank you brother.  Does the ring get pushed in to the mating face where say the little plastic pin (white in my case) will go over the ring and get caught in the notch?  Right now the connector is sitting as in the picture but the sleeve does not seem to want to slide over the white plastic?  Does it need force and lifting of the pin over the rubber edge so that it locks?

I don't think even now if I have it installed correctly as the end of the levered white pin is not in the notch but looks more or less like the picture above which is supposed to be the fully open position.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2013, 01:04:37 by TestOmega »

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2013, 05:19:47 »

This happened to me and was only solved by fitting 2 new heater hoses. On inspection the hose's plastic retainer clips had worn the sharp edge off the retainer and so the rounded ends then were just slipping over the metal pipe ridge under pressure as they got hot.
Its costly so you might like to try and retro fit a couple of normal jubilee hose clips as someone else once said they had. ;)
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2013, 13:11:03 »

Marks DTM Calib so thank you brother.  Does the ring get pushed in to the mating face where say the little plastic pin (white in my case) will go over the ring and get caught in the notch?  Right now the connector is sitting as in the picture but the sleeve does not seem to want to slide over the white plastic?  Does it need force and lifting of the pin over the rubber edge so that it locks?

I don't think even now if I have it installed correctly as the end of the levered white pin is not in the notch but looks more or less like the picture above which is supposed to be the fully open position.

Thank you.

No, once the hose is fitted all the way on (they do go on a long way) the white plastic ring is pushed away from the hose which results in a gap of around 5mm ish. At this point the white locking tab should latch to stop the locking mechanism vibrating loose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.