Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tapping sound Cyls 1 3 5 after Breather cleaned  (Read 1170 times)

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
  • Been helped, will help.
    • View Profile
Tapping sound Cyls 1 3 5 after Breather cleaned
« on: 03 September 2010, 14:46:19 »

I replaced the timing belt and cleaned the breather system per guidance at OOF and OOF cam video.

Car runs extremely well with smooth idle after warm up.  There are no external signs of any oil or any fluid leaks anywhere in the engine bay.

On start up I am hearing tapping type sound which goes away after couple of minutes.  I changed the oil about 1000 miles ago and has not changed it since breather cleaning.

Is it sticking valves, something more serious or should I be doing any additives, engine flush or just an oil change.

Regards.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: Tapping sound Cyls 1 3 5 after Breather cleaned
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2010, 14:55:33 »

Did you use carb cleaner to clean the breathers?
Retired

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2010, 15:08:50 »

Tons of carb cleaner to clean the 4 tubes assembly and the front vanes.  The rubber connections at the back I cleaned with water and again tried to let let dry the tubes before installing.  I have driven about a hundred miles now.  I tried to dry out the Plenum and pipes for a day after cleaning as I did not put these on right away.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2010, 15:11:30 by TestOmega »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jinglemaster2

« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2010, 15:15:45 »

Sounds like the hydraulic tappets to me.

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2010, 15:20:25 »

do you think the Hydraulic tappets are not getting enough oil at the start?  I believe it is recommended to change the oil after breather box cleaning up in case the pickup tube gets partially blocked, etc., even though the breather box appeared pretty clean but the breather tubes assembly was pretty mucked up and I kept working on it till the flow was clean.

I did not replace any washers or gaskets even though I had a set of new ones.

Thanks.

Just an Update:

I have replaced the following as per OOF maintenance guide,

Breather bridge to plenum seal 1 off required - 90467543
 Breather bridge to throttle O ring 2 off required (4 off on extended plenums) - 90500983

Additionally, I have drained the oil and will be cleaning the lower sump and checking for oil pickup tube and replacing it if needed as I bought a spare.  Will update but thinking positive right now. 

Cheers and any comments still welcome.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2010, 00:14:22 by TestOmega »

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2010, 15:37:08 »

I changed the oil and cleaned the sump, pickup tube and everything is squeaky clean.  Fresh oil and filter.

When I started this morning, no noise but as the car warmed up the noise started around 800 RPM.  The noise appears little different as though some mechanical rubbing rather than tapping before and it is too slow to be related to single rotation of cams (as far as I can think).  I did loosen the top Alternator bolt (to get the SAI pipe holding bracket out of the way for removing timing cover) but never totally tightened it back as I need to hold it from the back of the alternator and not easily accessible.  It is quite tight but not to spec.

The noise eventually does go away when the car is fully warmed up though.  So only during the first 5-10 minutes from cold start.

Appreciate guidance.

PS:  The original tapping type of faster pitch sound is gone.
Just a note that I put in a new timing belt and tightened it per OOF video to the top mark on the Tensioner as suggested for a new belt.  I hope it is not causing one of the Cam bearings to go (say Cams 1 or 2 as the sound is definitely right sided, or O/S for UK reference)
« Last Edit: 05 September 2010, 16:13:07 by TestOmega »

tport

• east mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2010, 17:26:53 »

I had exactly the same problem and posted to this forum about three months ago hoping to find a resolution.  I changed the oil and the problem disappeared so it looks as though it was caused by the hydraulic tappets

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2010, 17:42:32 »

Noisey followers (no tappets on these cars).

Give it an oil change and put in some lifter treatment

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2010, 19:18:34 »

Noisey followers (no tappets on these cars).

Give it an oil change and put in some lifter treatment
It is still tapping on start but not right away.  When the RPM drops to about 800 and lasts for 3-5 minutes.  I used Wyn's Engine tune 345ml which claimed to free/quieten noisy lifters abot a week ago with fresh oil.  Should I continue to wait or any other additive like Risolene, etc.?

Also Marks DTM Calibration if you want to chuckle or comment on a novice idea in the following,

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1283954658

Thank you.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2010, 21:05:09 »

I guess you have nothing to loose by trying the crank rotating idea.

I would be going for some short oil changes of around 500-1000 mile intervals and give it some beans to get oil pressure up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.