Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OEM brake pads - Brake dust  (Read 1977 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: OEM brake pads - Brake dust
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2010, 08:56:32 »

just let them go black and stay black, i've not washed my alloys since about March  ;D

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2010, 09:34:43 »

I've always used gen GM pads on mine, and as you say Josh - they do make a fair bit of dust.

Who's are those pads which don't have the chamford (sp) edges on them?  Same footprint, but a greater disk-pad contact area must be a benefit in the brake performance area?
I've been tempted to run some EBC Grenstuff or Redstuff Pads in my motor (used Redstuff in my Astra GSi, but they seemed almost dangerous when cold, never tried greenstuff) - but the redstuff gave next to no dust off, greenstuff perhaps worth a try?  I'm tempted by the redstuff, given the weight/inertia of the Omega to generate some heat, with obviously the shoebox Astra didn't have??  :-/  :-/

Those are the genuine OE (as the vehicle left the factory) pads, the ones with the chamfer on the edges are the more common trade club / standard pads that the dealer supplies as standard.

Chrisgixer and I will happily tell you the difference between the two although we often get shot down in flames.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2010, 09:36:15 »

just let them go black and stay black, i've not washed my alloys since about March  ;D

You may find that when you clean the brake dust off it will have eaten though the laquer / paint and be making a start on the alloy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 September 2010, 09:52:34 »

I keep toying with OE, but I cook pads often enough to make it expensive.

I have TC on the back, and I've had that blacken the rear alloys within a couple of days, after regularly 'testing' the traction control system.

TC ones are dusty, but I've never had issues with feel, bite, efficiency or noise.  I suspect there are different manufacturers of TC pads, and its luck of the draw.
Grumpy old man

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2010, 11:26:23 »

Same here, my TC pads drop huge amounts of dust. As i'm still running the old elite 16" wheels I just dont bother to clean them as I know I can buy a new set cheap if needed  ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 September 2010, 11:38:25 »

You may find that when you clean the brake dust off it will have eaten though the laquer / paint and be making a start on the alloy.

I've generally been leaving it few months between washes most of its life, each time its been cleaned they came up well. CD alloys tend to be quite good, as the spokes are quite chunky

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 25 September 2010, 16:04:58 »

I've been tempted to run some EBC Grenstuff or Redstuff Pads in my motor (used Redstuff in my Astra GSi, but they seemed almost dangerous when cold, never tried greenstuff) - but the redstuff gave next to no dust off, greenstuff perhaps worth a try?  I'm tempted by the redstuff, given the weight/inertia of the Omega to generate some heat, with obviously the shoebox Astra didn't have??  :-/  :-/

I was running Greenstuff on the MR2, which were alright and not too dusty.. but I just switched to Yellowstuff - much, much better feel than Greenstuff, just as good initial bite and better under heat.. I'd suggest not trying Redstuff on a road car and just stick to Yellowstuff, personally.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 September 2010, 19:24:38 »

I've generally been leaving it few months between washes most of its life, each time its been cleaned they came up well. CD alloys tend to be quite good, as the spokes are quite chunky

Must admit I do like the CD alloys on our Estate, you can hold the spokes when you put the wheel back on!  :)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 September 2010, 19:57:40 »

Had o.e. pads on for last 38thousand miles yes they were expensive however theyw ere fitted on 7th july 2006 ;D and are still only halfworn, must admit though i have to clean the wheels of brake dust at least once every six seeks  or they start looking grubby :o
however as most know i live in the mountains( house is at the same level as ben nevis) and im not renouned for driving the car gently :D never had any prblems with them at all and NO  they dont eat the discs!!! mine are still original!! at over 130k
« Last Edit: 25 September 2010, 19:58:15 by Omegatoy »

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 September 2010, 20:13:22 »

Had o.e. pads on for last 38thousand miles yes they were expensive however theyw ere fitted on 7th july 2006 ;D and are still only halfworn, must admit though i have to clean the wheels of brake dust at least once every six seeks  or they start looking grubby :o
however as most know i live in the mountains( house is at the same level as ben nevis) and im not renouned for driving the car gently :D never had any prblems with them at all and NO  they dont eat the discs!!! mine are still original!! at over 130k
[/highlight]
Jeeesus thats good going! :o
« Last Edit: 25 September 2010, 20:13:51 by Tony_H »
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 September 2010, 20:15:19 »

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
  • Been helped, will help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 September 2010, 01:28:19 »

I've no idea what brake pads are on my 2.6 Elite currently, but they do produce a lot of brake dust, even after a gentle drive the front wheels are always black.
Do OEM pads produce less brake dust? The brakes feel fine, but not excellent...so I may change the discs and pads, and wonder whether the cheap VX pads are ok, or whether to go for the OEM ones?
I switched to GM ceramics on my Catera, virtually no dust. 

You do need good rotors/discs with these was my experience in the past.  My previous garage put cheap rotors and cheap ceramics, pretty bad combo.

GM in north America for sure offers ceramics as an option.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2010, 01:30:26 by TestOmega »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.