Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rain  (Read 695 times)

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
rain
« on: 15 July 2010, 18:32:59 »

a bit of rain and the mig starts to misfire.

whats the proper way of sealing the scuttle leaving it easily accessable for next time?

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
Re: rain
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2010, 18:51:04 »

Well I have a solution..Seriously..don't laugh.

It's worked for me.

Use a hose on the windscreen to find out EXACTLY where the water filters through. With the bonnet open feel around the padding under the scuttle to see and investigate better.

NOW !  Here's the strange bit. !

Get a cheap metal plate, the type used for barbeques, cheap at supermarkets. Fold it in half and tape it to the underside of the leak. You may need to cut/shape it slightly but as its really bendy you can use your fingers to shape it as required.

When it gets hot, being metal inside the engine bay, small leaks will evaporate, larger leaks would hopefully flow away from the dis pack...depends how well you shape and position it. Its not difficult.

You are basically forming a channel from the shaped surface of the plate to send water off, away from vital bits.  So far...working well for me.

Ok !   You can laugh now.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2010, 01:02:45 by duggs »

ferrari jason

• Skelmersdale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2010, 18:56:13 »

LOL sounds like you used to watch blue peter  :y but what a great idea

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2010, 19:35:36 »

I have done the same with some Alloy sheet from a breakers at least it takes the water away from vital parts I bolted the sheet in place to secure

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2010, 20:03:39 »

as above, its the seal around the windscreen wipers to the scuttle, some clear sealant from below around this will fix it. The water runs down into this gap, fills up the foam underneath, drops onto the plenum, and then (eventually) down into the plugs.

You might want to pop leads out, as there will most likely be a lot of water in there  :y

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2010, 00:04:29 »

Well I have a solution..Seriously..don't laugh.

It's worked for me.

Use a hose on the windscreen to find out EXACTLY where the water filters through. With the bonnet open feel around the padding under the scuttle to see and investigatel better.

NOW !  Here's the strange bit. !

Get a cheap metal plate, the type used for barbeques, cheap at supermarkets. Fold it in half and tape it to the underside of the leak. You may need to cut/shape it slightly but as its really bendy you can use your fingers to shape it as required.

When it gets hot, being metal inside the engine bay, small leaks will evaporate, larger leaks would hopefully to flow away from the dis pack...depends how well you shape and position it. Its not difficult.

You are basically forming a channel from the shaped surface of the plate to send water off away from vital bits.  So far...working well for me.

Ok !   You can laugh now.

cheers

expect a call from vx. :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.