Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Management Light On  (Read 5681 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Management Light On
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2023, 18:28:44 »

I'd be surprised if any of the pipes on the back of that breather can cause the EML light to come on. ECU only knows what the various sensors tell it, and AFAIK nothing measures anything in the breathers.

More likely to be an electrical connection off one of the various sensors, actuators or valves that are part of the plenium. The ECU does know if they're unplugged - it basically measures their resistance, and if that resistance is out of limits then EML on. As others say - get the codes read, or do the pedal trick.
It's unmetered air into the intake which potentially causes discrepancies elsewhere, hence the light.

No. The big pipes come from the crankcase, which is basically at atmospheric. I've run mine with them disconnected - no issues - although that is/was a 3.0 not a 3.2. The holes in the breather are tiny (assuming they're not actually blocked). The ECU only measures MAF, not MAP, so there is no way for it to know there is a leak except from lambda readings. Lambda sensors won't throw a fault till the engine is warm. So if the EML is on straight from engine start then it won't be from an 'unmetered air leak' IMHO.

When I replaced my engine ISTR there were 3 'faults'. I'd not plugged the EGR or the fuel tank breather solenoid in properly, and it threw the TC's from start-up. My money is on something similar since the Plenium must have been off to do the cam belt. But all should be revealed if we can get Lizze to read the codes  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 August 2023, 21:14:26 »

The two smaller pipes feed directly into the plenum, post throttle, where the 'top hat' seal is. It's job is to seal both lines from each other and atmosphere where the breather bridge fits into the plenum.

Of the two, the smaller one is from the small spigot on the crank breather, tother is the vent line from the purge valve and is connected to the fuel tank via the charcoal canister behind the right front wheel arch. Atmospheric or not, both centre pipes will allow unmetered air into the plenum and therefore the cylinders.

On the 3.2 MAF and MAP are the same sensor. And unmetered air will.upset the fuel mixture enough to put the light on.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 August 2023, 22:04:05 »

I'd be surprised if any of the pipes on the back of that breather can cause the EML light to come on. ECU only knows what the various sensors tell it, and AFAIK nothing measures anything in the breathers.

More likely to be an electrical connection off one of the various sensors, actuators or valves that are part of the plenium. The ECU does know if they're unplugged - it basically measures their resistance, and if that resistance is out of limits then EML on. As others say - get the codes read, or do the pedal trick.
It's unmetered air into the intake which potentially causes discrepancies elsewhere, hence the light.

No. The big pipes come from the crankcase, which is basically at atmospheric. I've run mine with them disconnected - no issues - although that is/was a 3.0 not a 3.2. The holes in the breather are tiny (assuming they're not actually blocked). The ECU only measures MAF, not MAP, so there is no way for it to know there is a leak except from lambda readings. Lambda sensors won't throw a fault till the engine is warm. So if the EML is on straight from engine start then it won't be from an 'unmetered air leak' IMHO.

When I replaced my engine ISTR there were 3 'faults'. I'd not plugged the EGR or the fuel tank breather solenoid in properly, and it threw the TC's from start-up. My money is on something similar since the Plenium must have been off to do the cam belt. But all should be revealed if we can get Lizze to read the codes  ::)

Yep, I will try to tomorrow to help resolve the issue - I hope! ::) ::)  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2023, 13:52:06 »

I carried out a full repair of the breather pipe, checked all connections, and found just one loose nut on the pipe going into the right hand side of the plenum.

Still the light is on, steady, but not flashing.

The codes from the pedal trick exercise are:   0170 Fuel trim malfunction (Bank1)

0173 Fuel trim malfunction (Bank2)

Frankly this makes me no wiser on what I should do now, so advise please.

If I have, somehow corrected the fault(s) already, can I cancel down these codes please?

:y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2023, 13:55:10 »

Clear the codes and see if they return.

But that nut is on the primary vacuum pipe from the inlet to the brake booster.

No reason on this planet for it to be loose. Ever.

Take it back to Serek and have him fix it.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 August 2023, 14:00:05 »

Clear the codes and see if they return.

But that nut is on the primary vacuum pipe from the inlet to the brake booster.

No reason on this planet for it to be loose. Ever.

Take it back to Serek and have him fix it.

Thanks DG :y

How though do you clear the codes please? :-\

Never done that before :D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 August 2023, 14:05:30 »

a simple bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 dongle from amazon or ebay (£5 ish) and a free copy of the TORQUE app on your phone if android
plenty of youtube videos  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 August 2023, 14:11:31 »

Disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes is free >:D

Although it won't clear the codes, it will reset everything. Including the light. Which may or may not return immediately.

Although I stand by my last post and suggest not clearing the codes but rather let him do it.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2023, 14:13:09 by Doctor Gollum »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 August 2023, 14:20:00 »

Thanks Dave and DG.

I will try the battery disconnection first, as I wouldnt know where to plug in a dongle ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Failing that I will just see my Vx dealer to get them to rectify.  PS After reading another thread on dealers reading the codes, perhaps I will not!! :o :o :o

It is not worth driving the 232 miles round trip to see Serek.   ;)
« Last Edit: 08 August 2023, 14:26:02 by Lizzie Zoom »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 August 2023, 14:25:14 »

I will try the battery disconnection first, as I wouldnt know where to plug in a dongle ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

it's in the fuse box under the steering column

Failing that I will just see my Vx dealer to get them to rectify.

You'll pay handsomely at a main dealer ....

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 August 2023, 14:27:25 »

it's in the fuse box under the steering column

Failing that I will just see my Vx dealer to get them to rectify.

You'll pay handsomely at a main dealer ....

Thanks Andy :y

Yes, I have just knocked on the head a dealer wiping the codes!! :o :o :o

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 August 2023, 14:33:19 »

Go on .... what have they quoted you?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 August 2023, 14:45:20 »

Go on .... what have they quoted you?

Nothing yet, but I have read the other thread on this subject and them being quoted £141...............!!!
Maybe, just maybe, I will get a freebee if I talk nicely to my dealer where I know the General Manager.................... ;D ;D ;D

But at the moment I am going to try the DG approach, then the suggestion by Dave, which this video on Youtube covers both:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93F7KGMk5og

That is when the weather improves down here!! ;D ;D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 August 2023, 15:49:30 »

Thanks Dave and DG.

Failing that I will just see my Vx dealer to get them to rectify.  PS After reading another thread on dealers reading the codes, perhaps I will not!! :o :o :o

It is not worth driving the 232 miles round trip to see Serek.   ;)
You don't know what has triggered the codes, and it has only happened since having work done.

As I see it's you have three choices:

1. Take it back to Serek to fix.
2. Pay another garage to diagnose and correct it. Which will include going over any work recently done.
3. Ignore the whole thing and hope it goes away.

232 miles may not be "worth it" but the savings you are trying to achieve will cost far more than a tank of fuel. Especially if he hasn't done simple stuff like checking everything disturbed is correctly fitted.

And whilst it is incredibly noble of James V6* to offer to work for near free, that doesn't address the fact that the work you paid Serek to complete has potentially caused issues and as a commercial garage he has an obligation to fix any issues resulting from work done and having anyone else look at it will waive your right to recourse.

Not wanting to over egg the omelette, but if that vacuum pipe had come loose then you could have been left with a runaway engine and no brakes. Whilst driving home with your grandson.

* He hasn't yet and not should he.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2023, 15:52:47 by Doctor Gollum »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.