Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Isolater Switch  (Read 1855 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Isolater Switch
« on: 05 January 2021, 17:30:39 »

My cars get little use, so they often suffer from flat batterys, main car is parked on the road.

AA man used an extension cable with an Anderson connector on the end which is something I had considered fitting at some point but could not think of anywhere suitable to fit it.

Then he suggested a battery master switch like the rally cars have, but yet again where to fit it with out lifting the bonnet. he also said it only needed fitting on the earth strap.  Then convesrsation got a bit silly with a mention of a relay that could be activated just after doors locked to isolate the battery, the flaw there was it needs power to power it all back up.

But in this world that we live in are there any such devices out there.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Isolater Switch
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2021, 17:44:58 »

You could fit an isolator inside the NSF wheel arch, but I would expect it's life would be short. There's a fair amount of work involved in fitting it securely and making it work well.

If it were mine, I would add an additional cable to the bonnet release to come out somewhere at the front of the bonnet. Shortening the OS headlight trim would be a suitable location. This would take very little work, and a a couple of quids worth of bike brake cable. That will allow you to open the bonnet and jump start the car without having to unlock the doors.

I would only do that after fixing the cause of the battery drain - you should be able to leave it for 3 or 4 weeks without an issue. A constantly flat battery will very quickly fail.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2021, 17:48:36 »

just lube the driver door lock and make sure it works with the key and disconnect the battery when the car is not in use
 (and top up the charge of the battery if required )
the more complicated you make things ,the more chances it will fail

obviously you will need to reset the windows, sunroof, radio  etc ,but you would need to anyway if you fitted a 100 amp key switch

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2021, 18:13:34 »

just lube the driver door lock and make sure it works with the key and disconnect the battery when the car is not in use

obviously you will need to reset the windows, sunroof, radio  etc ,but you would need to anyway if you fitted a 100 amp key switch
Or.......get yourself out for a drive now and again, your omega will thank you for it.
Diesel till I die

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2021, 18:44:45 »

Or.......get yourself out for a drive now and again, your omega will thank you for it.

I wish my life was that simple.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2021, 19:20:34 »

I made an extended Ctek connector for the daily (after the last flat battery / manual door unlock fail) and tie wrapped it to a location close to the horn so it's easy to plug in the charger from underneath.

NB. I did add a fuse and made sure the plug has the water tight cover fitted.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2021, 15:44:35 »

Modify the nearside headlight trim on thhe facelift to lose the inner fixing to the headlight and the 1/4" thatt sits behind the grill/bonnet so that it can be readily popped out and mount the connector of choice between the headlight and front panel :y

Or single lock it and disconnect the battery neg. Deadlocking it becomes hit and miss for being able to open it with the key.
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2021, 23:45:24 »

Just pull the Neg off the battery terminal and push it down the side of the battery so it's away from the neg terminal, takes about 10 seconds with the bonnet up.

I've got a 10mm plastic spanner (UPS Tool) about the size of a Key on my keyring for that very purpose.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2021, 23:47:16 by zirk »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.