Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 Auxiliary belt.  (Read 3182 times)

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
3.2 Auxiliary belt.
« on: 22 February 2020, 16:01:02 »

As above......just need to order a couple,and I was looking as usual on ebay,and was wondering wether anyone can remember the belt length....looks like 2025mm is the correct one,but I don't really trust the sellers on there to be on their game.TIA :y

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 Auxiliary belt.
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2020, 16:10:12 »

that would theoretically make sense. mine had a 6pk2020 on and i replaced it with a 2030 with no issues

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2020, 16:56:42 »

Thanks, I nearly ordered the wrong belts because for some reason the fitment chart said for the 3.2, but in the small print it said for non aircon models.....first I've heard of any non A/C 3.2's, unless it's been removed for a bit of a power gain ::) :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2020, 18:12:05 »

Do police specials have A/C ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2020, 19:05:45 »

Standard climate control on all three I had :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2020, 19:23:07 »

Yup. Standard, no option to remove so cheaper to leave in :y
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2020, 19:50:18 »

Agree,my 3.0 and 3.2 ex cop cars both have A/C :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 February 2020, 23:20:56 »

6PK2020 is the book spec. IMHO it’s too tight. I always fit 6PK6040 to my cars with no issues and much less strain on the idler wheel

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2020, 10:51:17 »

6PK2020 is the book spec. IMHO it’s too tight. I always fit 6PK6040 to my cars with no issues and much less strain on the idler wheel

unlike a traditional V-belt, multi-rib belts are designed to be under a lot of tension. Over tensioning a V-belt wi!l twist it, and wear out the driven parts; under tensioning a multi-rib belt reduces its efficiency and increases wear. The wear probably won't be noticable as they're very long lived, partly because it probably doesn't need 6 ribs, but why change something to make it less effective?

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2020, 16:29:27 »

I'd asked this same question last year, mainly because I was struggling (I mean really struggling) to get a 2020 belt to fit. In the end I fitted a 2030 belt, 6 rib as per Merc van.

No doubt the 'specifications' say 2020, but why make life difficult, when something with plenty of tension when fitted does the job nicely. I'm with James on this one..
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2020, 10:58:53 »

I'd asked this same question last year, mainly because I was struggling (I mean really struggling) to get a 2020 belt to fit. In the end I fitted a 2030 belt, 6 rib as per Merc van.

No doubt the 'specifications' say 2020, but why make life difficult, when something with plenty of tension when fitted does the job nicely. I'm with James on this one..

if you fit the belt around the smooth water pump pulley last, a new 2020 belt just slips on. If you're putting it onto the tensioner(or any of the ribbed pulleys), then you are making life difficult. A long spanner or ratchet to release the tension saves some effort, but isn't necessary.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2020, 13:17:43 »

if you fit the belt around the smooth water pump pulley last, a new 2020 belt just slips on. If you're putting it onto the tensioner(or any of the ribbed pulleys), then you are making life difficult. A long spanner or ratchet to release the tension saves some effort, but isn't necessary.

That goes without saying Nick, always fitting the belt to the smooth pulley last.

When the belt is on all the ribbed pulleys first, the tensioner is at full leverage, and you still can't get the belt on, then what good is the specification if it still won't fit?

On one car a 2020 belt will fit, on the other it will not. With the alternator, ps pump and compressor all fitted correctly, there obviously has to be some variation somewhere along the line. As far as I'm aware the 3 items can't be fitted incorrectly, but why these dimensions are different is another question in itself.

So to conclude, there is obviously something different somewhere, but you should never have to fit the aux belt by brute force.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2020, 10:09:57 »

It seems there are some differences, as on some cars I've found a 2020 means the tension is right at the end of its (minimum tension) working range, yet on others, slips on perfectly.

So, OP, see if you can still read old belt. If not, FFS buy from somewhere reputable/local where they can exchange if its wrong.  Ebay is for idiots. Always has been (for the last 15yrs at least), always will be.
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2020, 00:23:18 »

A 6PK240 is not less effective. It sits bang in the middle of the tensioner range and is serviceable for the life of the belt, with the added bonus that it doesn’t wear / dry out the bearings in the tensioner pulley, as the 6pk2020 often does .....

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2020, 11:32:11 »

Thanks for this instructive thread, gentlemen. Some years ago I struggled to get a new belt on my Omega, and had a similar battle getting a new belt on my Vectra. I bought the belts online, presumed they were the correct belts, and would stretch in use.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.