Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement alternator (I think)  (Read 1209 times)

JohnM

• Intermediate Member
  • Newark on Trent
    • 2.5M Estate
    • View Profile
Replacement alternator (I think)
« on: 29 February 2020, 23:20:09 »

Can anyone tell from their armchair what alternator (number) I need to look out for please.  2.5L (mini/pre facelift), originally (I believe) an auto but wears a manual box.
Or where to check on it when dry and light.

Following what I can only describe as a 'dash reset' (dials) had the IGN lamp showing and (much) later TC and SRS temporarily joined the party (the charge lamp even went out once or twice).  Some rather loud noises (not good) at one point and I expect I've confirmed the source of my noise - but now failed electrically too (internal damage?). Managed a place of safety (pub with food for lunch) and exercised my recovery premium.  My battery must have been feeling very good to have got so far (a tense 15-20').  Back home and the battery voltage (it still started) dropped from 12.3v (off) to 11.something running and never increased a drop (running); so definitely no charging at all.

Is an alternator change easy on the (cold) driveway (garage in use) or, as I think for me, am I better getting hold of its replacement and tasking to somewhere with a lift ?  Any gotchas waiting for me ?

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement alternator (I think)
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2020, 09:05:38 »

Is an alternator change easy on the (cold) driveway (garage in use) or, as I think for me, am I better getting hold of its replacement and tasking to somewhere with a lift ?  Any gotchas waiting for me ?

Fiddly rather than difficult as you are working a bit blind with the alternator bolts. Annoyingly the alternator comes out upwards through the engine bay as it won't quite fit out the bottom from underneath. Access to the underside is only handy for undoing the electrical connector but I believe some do that from above as well. If you remove the air box pipe it allows better access to see what you are at, and to remove it up through that space.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

JohnM

• Intermediate Member
  • Newark on Trent
    • 2.5M Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2020, 22:28:49 »

Taa.

Had a looksie, but can't see the label.

Also, looks tight coming out the top too !

Can anyone suggest if it is a 100A or 120A ?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2020, 10:16:31 »

120A on the V6 2.5, if you have done one before its a 40 minute job  :y

JohnM

• Intermediate Member
  • Newark on Trent
    • 2.5M Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2020, 15:56:20 »

Thanks for confirming that, I'll search out a 120A replacement - nothing found just yet.

40 minutes - I bet you'd have that down to less than that.  Not having done one I'll take that as an "nice to aim for figure" but that's okay as long as I don't run into trouble.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.