Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brakes - ECP  (Read 3951 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Brakes - ECP
« on: 12 April 2021, 15:22:35 »

Just looking at getting new Disks etc (If required)

Eurocarparts are offering Brembo/Pagid & Eicher plus some random Bosch fitment parts.

I priced my list up using the Pagid bits with new sensors, all new pins & spring plates (Plus disks & Pads but not shoes) With the discount £189
« Last Edit: 12 April 2021, 15:26:44 by Mr Skrunts »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Brakes - ECP
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2021, 15:43:32 »

Fuel & pollen fillers

Seems they offer 2 of each

Example

Crosland Cabin Filter
Product Code: 507720038
£27.99

Crosland Cabin Filter
Product Code: 507720128
£2.39

Standard v Activated Carbon

Is there a massive difference.?

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2021, 17:11:13 »

If you have F/L it needs carbon activated filter, or the climate control goes funny.

For brakes and discs give Keithabs a pm he quite often has some good deals,and GM pads. :y
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2021, 19:18:02 »

Also, you can also try your local factors.

Mostly ECP now sell low quality stuff, which always makes me wary when it comes to brakes.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2021, 19:25:55 »

Also, you can also try your local factors.

Mostly ECP now sell low quality stuff, which always makes me wary when it comes to brakes.

I generally do.

But sadly these days I have to have the car sorted at a local garage and generally when I can source the parts myself.  I have just lost track of prices and which brands to run with or avoid.  and sadly the brakes are suffering more from rust on the disks wearing the pads out than actually using the car.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2021, 21:29:40 »

I have said before in other 'which brake discs/ pads' topics, and others have confirmed their approval of them - Comline coated discs are exceptionally good quality at a competitive price. They do their own pads and also box the same pad as Allied Nippon.
I have fitted a good number of them to different vehicles and no complaints about their performance and appearance (being coated) at all.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2021, 09:42:51 »

If that £190 is for all four discs, pads and the fittings, I wouldn't hesitate. The price is reasonable, and ECP are convenient.
I'd probably add the handbrake shoes for another £20 if they haven't been done in the last decade...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2021, 11:23:44 »

I recently fitted a pair of Brembo front discs from ECP to my Omega and am very happy with them.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2021, 11:46:37 »

If that £190 is for all four discs, pads and the fittings, I wouldn't hesitate. The price is reasonable, and ECP are convenient.
I'd probably add the handbrake shoes for another £20 if they haven't been done in the last decade...

Yes all in and free delivery I believe

I never actually use the hand brake so didnt bother adding that or rear shos to the list.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2021, 12:25:05 »

I never actually use the hand brake
You should use it  ;)

it's also the emergency brake if you loose brake fluid
and
 relying on a 5 mm slither of metal (the park pawl in the auto box ) to hold 2 ton of car isn't wise
and
using the handbrake keeps it free and moving for the MOT brake test

now well get 20 posts saying "I never use my handbrake and never had any issues"  :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2021, 14:10:23 »

I never actually use the hand brake so didnt bother adding that or rear shos to the list.

It's required for an MOT.

The shoes don't wear out, but the linings can come unglued.

You have to adjust the shoes to get the disc off, and it's frustrating to have to stop work and acquire another part.

This makes the rear brakes fit and forget for several years.

I agree with all of Dave's post

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2021, 14:31:56 »

It's required for an MOT.

The shoes don't wear out, but the linings can come unglued.

You have to adjust the shoes to get the disc off, and it's frustrating to have to stop work and acquire another part.

This makes the rear brakes fit and forget for several years.

I agree with all of Dave's post

Agreed..  :y
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2021, 15:17:58 »

Me too.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2021, 17:15:25 »

The handbrake is pulled on and realeased every now and again.

The car is hardley used and after advice given many years ago about parking a car up in gear, hand brake off and bricks to stop the wheels rotateing then I do the next best thing.

The car is parked on the level in Park and when it went for the MOT in Dec last year when the handbrake was applied I thought the car was going to fly off the rollers, Brake efficiency was brilliant.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2021, 19:02:17 »

now well get 20 posts saying "I never use my handbrake and never had any issues"  :D

I'm with Skrunts .... I rarely use a hand/emergency/parking brake & have never had any issues  ::)

If parked on a hill it's used to hold the car before selecting Park  :y

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2021, 22:57:29 »

yes defeinately handbrake first before engaging park. my mate used to do it the other way round and made me cringe on a steep hill when he forced it out of park later !

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 April 2021, 08:59:27 »

If in normal day to day use, my cars are parked with the handbrake on. If being left for any period say for over a week, then I don't apply the handbrake, as long as they are in gear or park, with the wheels chocked. We all know the metal content in the brake shoes results in them sticking on, especially in damp enviroments. This applies to any car.
Common sense and the practicalities of this should prevail though - if parked on a public highway, then I would apply it at all times. But at home, if it can be safely chocked and in gear or park, then I would never consider leaving it for any length of time with the handbrake firmly applied.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 April 2021, 11:27:21 »

If in normal day to day use, my cars are parked with the handbrake on. If being left for any period say for over a week, then I don't apply the handbrake, as long as they are in gear or park, with the wheels chocked. We all know the metal content in the brake shoes results in them sticking on, especially in damp environments. This applies to any car.

A week? :o  That has often been normal use for me.

If I was planning to not use a car for many months, then I'd consider chocking it. Careful persuasion with a large hammer has never failed to release seized brake drums for me; sometimes on cars that had been standing for years. If you're that paranoid about failures, presumably you leave it on axle stands, remove and cover the wheels to protect the tyres and drain all the fluids? Obviously the battery is disconnected too.

I have experienced stuck clutches, which are freed off by warming the engine then restarting the car in gear with the clutch held down. This can take several goes if the clutch is really stuck. Do NOT try this with a hydraulic clutch as you'll blow at least some of the seals. Although if it's been standing for some time a new slave is usually necessary, which is easy with external ones(we've bought a couple of cars really cheap because of this) and a complete PITA if it's a concentric cylinder.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2021, 13:11:16 »

If in normal day to day use, my cars are parked with the handbrake on. If being left for any period say for over a week, then I don't apply the handbrake, as long as they are in gear or park, with the wheels chocked. We all know the metal content in the brake shoes results in them sticking on, especially in damp environments. This applies to any car.

A week? :o  That has often been normal use for me.

If I was planning to not use a car for many months, then I'd consider chocking it. Careful persuasion with a large hammer has never failed to release seized brake drums for me; sometimes on cars that had been standing for years. If you're that paranoid about failures, presumably you leave it on axle stands, remove and cover the wheels to protect the tyres and drain all the fluids? Obviously the battery is disconnected too.

I have experienced stuck clutches, which are freed off by warming the engine then restarting the car in gear with the clutch held down. This can take several goes if the clutch is really stuck. Do NOT try this with a hydraulic clutch as you'll blow at least some of the seals. Although if it's been standing for some time a new slave is usually necessary, which is easy with external ones(we've bought a couple of cars really cheap because of this) and a complete PITA if it's a concentric cylinder.

I did say OVER a week...which could be months in some cases. Hardly paranoid about failures, but prevention is better than cure in many cases, but your comments about draining all the fluids, removing all the wheels and placing on axle stands maybe a good idea if a vehicle was being laid up for years, but hardly a week or so ::) Leaving the handbrake off and placing a couple of chocks or bricks by two wheels is far easier and kinder to the vehicle than the faff of jacking up the rear, and using a lump hammer on the drums to free off handbrake shoes that have stuck to the drum. Not quite the same procedure with rear discs / calipers though.
I think you have actually stated previously about the perils of an electric handbrake sticking on or not releasing. One of my modern vehicle with an electric handbrake was laid up during the first lockdown, and I would never dream of leaving it for months with the handbrake applied. One of my local Audi dealers never leave the handbrake applied on sale vehicles on their forecourt (maybe they think they will not sell quickly! ;D), presumably to negate the possibility of sticking handbrakes.

As regards to sticking clutches - I find the best way to free them off is to let the vehicle tick over for a good while until it gets nice and hot (normal temp - not overheating!!), switch off, wedge a piece of wood between the clutch pedal and seat, and leave it over night. In the morning, the clutch is nice and free and 'Bob's yer Uncle'. Usually been a classic that has been laid up over the winter months when the damp atmosphere doesn't help. Last one was a car that had been laid up for 25 years which required a full recommissioning after such a period of inactivity, but it is still on the same clutch today which is smooth with no judder.  This procedure has never failed to free the clutch on me yet.
And this car had the same oil, hydraulic fluid and coolant from when it was turned off 25 years previously, and after a thorough recommissioning, the engine is sweet as a nut to this day. The old fuel (which was good old leaded!) was like glue though.... ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2021, 19:29:18 »

the only handbrake I've ever had stick in 40 yrs of driving, was the handbrake on my daily driver Smart. Even the handbrake on my caravan that had been left on for months released the other day when it was moved for new tyres (I appreciate a caravan's drum brakes are different from a car's)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 April 2021, 21:46:53 »

Stuck Eicher on all 4 corners of my car a couple of ago.
Ripped them off after a month because they was shite with a capital S
Avoid

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2021, 15:06:35 »

Put all these parts in the basket a few days and the discounts kept changeing.

Started at £275 dropped to £227 and todays price£140.67 all in delivered free.  Think there has been a price change on some parts as well. :y

I know Pagid aint the best but the brakes wear out faster due to the car being stood weeks on end and not drifting/ralling through Derbyshire ::)

Pagid Wear Sensor (Front)2    Product Code: 106720128 £5.78

Pagid Brake Disc (Rear)2      Product Code: 104720258 £34.98

Pagid Brake Disc (Front)2     Product Code: 104720078 £33.98

Pagid Brake Pad (Front)       Product Code: 101720078 £50.99

Pagid Brake Pad (Rear)      Product Code: 101880108   £30.99

Pagid Brake Pad Fitting (Front)   Product Code: 107770058   £10.49

Pagid Brake Pad Fitting (Rear)   Product Code: 107721088   £18.99

Crosland Fuel Filter      Product Code: 503900238   £11.49

Fram Air Filter         Product Code: 502720166   £5.99

Crosland Cabin Filter      Product Code: 507720038   £27.99

Crosland Oil Filter      Product Code: 501720158   £5.19

Subtotal:
£236.86
Discount (Mid Month Sale - Up to 45% Off Car Parts):
- £96.19
Total (inc VAT):
£140.67

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2021, 16:17:58 »

Facelift requires the charcoal cabin filter ;)

As does prefacelift with ECC.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2021, 16:25:06 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2021, 16:42:42 »

Only one wear sensor on NSF for Facelift (not sure about pre-facelifts)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2021, 16:47:40 »

Learn something new every day. :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2021, 16:48:57 »

Crosland Cabin Filter
Crosland Cabin Filter :y

£27.99

Filter TypeActivated Carbon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2021, 17:32:46 »

Crosland Cabin Filter
Crosland Cabin Filter :y

£27.99

Filter TypeActivated Carbon
:y

People tend to buy on price without appreciating the difference...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 May 2021, 18:07:02 »

Incorrect
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 May 2021, 18:07:25 »

2 for the superior preface lifts.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 May 2021, 18:42:34 »

2 for the superior preface lifts.
None on the daily car....  ::)

...that'll be because I put those awful trade club pads on it for it's last few thousand miles before it goes to Bean Tin heaven and thought i'm not wasting a sensor on this  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19 May 2021, 19:55:13 »

Incorrect
Or not then :D What is the difference between the ECC in the earlier Elites and the system in the Facelifts? Beyond the control panel, obviously.

The charcoal filters are physically interchangeable with the plain filters though, so it is worth checking that you have the correct one.  ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 May 2021, 20:09:38 »

Incorrect
How can it be incorrect? Impossible  ::)
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.