Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Barclaycard.  (Read 5271 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Barclaycard.
« Reply #45 on: 03 May 2021, 16:54:50 »

The point being that you aren't borrowing money to buy household essentials.

I am ...  ;) I'm borrowing off MBNA & Santander  ;)
Why? If you have the money to pay the cards off every month, then you have zero reason to have a credit card, let alone two.
Convenience.
I got my MBNA card years & years ago when I didn't have the money to pay it off each month, but kept it after I'd got my sh1t together & because there were a couple of things being paid from it each year.
My Santander card pays me a little each month for direct debits each month so pays for itself.
That's why I have two  :-* :-*
Do they still do the 123 account, I heard they'd closed it, or reduced the cashback at least.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03 May 2021, 16:55:05 »

;D

Exactly. But losing the credit cards removes a wheel or two from the merry-go-round  :D

but my merry-go-round just does its own thing all by itself .....

And I have the convenience of being able to buy £thousands of stuff if I wanted to.
The merry go round wasn't referring to the circle of money  :-X

sorry .....  :-[ :-[

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 03 May 2021, 16:56:51 »

Do they still do the 123 account, I heard they'd closed it, or reduced the cashback at least.

Very much reduced. It was originally 1% for accounts of over £1000, 2% for £2000 & 3% for £3000 It's not sod all for any amount.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 03 May 2021, 17:08:10 »

SWMBO has ordered herself a Sainsbury's credit card today something to do with a Nectar points offer all done online with an immediate limit of £8000 so all good now..
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 03 May 2021, 17:16:23 »

;D

Exactly. But losing the credit cards removes a wheel or two from the merry-go-round  :D

but my merry-go-round just does its own thing all by itself .....

And I have the convenience of being able to buy £thousands of stuff if I wanted to.
The merry go round wasn't referring to the circle of money  :-X
But it does apply equally both ways ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 03 May 2021, 23:39:02 »

Why? If you have the money to pay the cards off every month, then you have zero reason to have a credit card, let alone two.

MBNA/Diner's club are paying for three of us to fly to Hawaii in 2022  and Virgin Credit cards are flying my best mate and I to Texas for his 40th (less some fees and fuel surcharges). That's two pretty good reasons in my book.

To date I don't think I've paid them a penny in interest. ??? Although I did pay Diner's club £160 last year as an annual fee and I've not had much use out of the lounge access  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 04 May 2021, 02:13:51 »

No such thing as a free lunch :-X

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 04 May 2021, 10:38:30 »

A credit card is virtually essential for foreign travel (once foreign travel is allowed again).
1) Its almost impossible to hire a car abroad without one.
2) Hotels will want a large cash deposit if you don't check-in with a credit card.
3) Providing you have the correct card it's much cheaper to withdraw foreign cash from a hole in the wall on a CC than any other card. Much better exchange rate and no forex loading.

I wouldn't travel abroad without two - preferably one Mastercard and one Visa. Some countries (Japan IME) don't widely accept one or the other. If one is rejected/cloned then you still stand a chance of not being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Having said that, I've just had to tell Santander to shove their Zero card where the sun don't shine so I am on the lookout for another.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2021, 10:42:04 by LC0112G »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 04 May 2021, 12:36:26 »

That's largely nonsense.

Dollar don't require a credit card for a start.

And if you have an account with a couple of thousand in, you can use that as you would a credit card for the places that insist. Deposits don't need to be the same card as the payment one.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2021, 12:38:14 by Doctor Gollum »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 04 May 2021, 12:41:33 »

That's largely nonsense.

And if you have an account with a couple of thousand in, you can use that as you would a credit card for the places that insist. Deposits don't need to be the same card as the payment one.
WTF are you talking about?  ;D ;D
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 04 May 2021, 13:15:25 »

How is using a separate debit card with a couple of grand on it mathematically any different to using a credit card and 'paying it off every month'? to pay for hotels etc?

The suggestion that you need a credit card to travel is just plain wrong.

And for someone who claims not to have a mobile phone or use the interweb, Malcolm certainly likes to leave an electronic papertrail ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 04 May 2021, 13:19:58 »

How is using a separate debit card with a couple of grand on it mathematically any different to using a credit card and 'paying it off every month'? to pay for hotels etc?

The suggestion that you need a credit card to travel is just plain wrong.

And for someone who claims not to have a mobile phone or use the interweb, Malcolm certainly likes to leave an electronic papertrail ;D
It's not mathematically different, but some/most hotels and car hire companies insists on a credit card. There's also a fair chance that your bank will block spending on a debit card whilst abroad. Usually at midnight, when you have no local currency on you, and they're not answering the phone. I know this from experience.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 04 May 2021, 13:24:09 »

Barclaycard also stopped offering money transfers a few months back, only balance transfers were available. However, I've just had an email offering 0% for 12 months with a 2.9% fee. So who knows WTF they are playing at.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 04 May 2021, 13:30:42 »

That's not the banks fault. You tell them that you're travelling, where to and when. Can do it on the app usually.

And not taking any currency with you is plain daft.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 04 May 2021, 14:04:42 »

That's largely nonsense.

In effect they they do. What they typically require is many thousands of pounds worth of 'deposit' incase you total the car or otherwise do a runner with it. And in local currency. On a credit card they just pre-authorise a certain amount, and then refund it at the end. Last time I tried it without a card (Hungary IIRC) they wanted 5000Euros in cash as a deposit - but in local currency which is the Forint. Converting GBP into many squillions of Forints costs money, as does converting it back to GBP once(if) you ever get it back again.

Having a bank account with thousands in it does not give them a right to 'extract' the money from that account if you do a runner. You would have to hand over that cash to them at pick up, and then try and get it back at the end of the rental.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.